Masters Running

How to prevent sore quads in Marathon?? (Read 440 times)

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Every marathon I run I have sore quads at the end (hard to walk up steps, curbs..). But I have never had sore quads from training runs through 23 milers. Any ideas how to train to prevent sore quads? Or training that will make the quads sore? Faster long runs? (Even 17 mile MP runs in the thick of training don't give sore quads...) Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

rlemert

How did the race terrain compare to what you train on? I've heard anecdotally that you can really do a number on your quads if there's a lot of downhill running involved. In our training we usually focus on building our strength to make it up those hills and use the downhills for recovery. (Of course there's a good chance I'm equally clueless. My one marathon was Miami - i.e. NO hills at all, and there was no way I could isolate my soreness just to my quads Wink
      evanflein

Steve, I'll bet this won't be as much a problem for your next marathon with all the hills you've been training on lately. Remember Boston? The main thing I recall is you saying how sore your quads were... and I wasn't at all. I did most of my long runs on hilly terrain, and include lots of downhill as well as uphill running. I think you've been doing that the past several months and you'll notice a hugh difference after Boston this year!
        DoppleBock

I have minimized this since adding Endurox R4 to my recovery routine - 2 bottles immediately following and I have eliminated much of the soreness. I would guess other recovery drinks will help also.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Queen of 3rd Place

Like chocolate milk? Big grin Arla

Ex runner

xor

perch, what were the marathons that made your quads hurt?

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

perch, what were the marathons that made your quads hurt?
                I hurt on the flat Myrtle beach, Hilly Richmond, hilly City of Oaks (Raleigh) and Boston ....so flat or hilly.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Steve, This has nothing to do with quads, or only peripherally. I just signed up for the Ghost Town 38.5, a trail run in NM that crosses Percha Creek. Naturally, I thought of you. It's hilly, so I expect to have sore quads.