Masters Running

11/25/21 Happy Thanksgiving Runs and Eats (Read 38 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks.

Denise - I think your hair looks lovely!  But I am still not giving in to gray....I think it is more difficult when you were dark brown naturally - you blonds look lovely as you gray...

I have no workout to report, just thought I would get this started so you all could check in before the day's activities....

I am finding getting around even more difficult than I thought. I have to butt-scoot up and down the stairs, have the crutches waiting at the base of the stairs (in the family room) and the scooter waiting at the top of the stairs (kitchen, bathrooms, bedrooms), but I guess I didn't realize how many times a day I go up and down those stairs....

DH keeps yelling at me to sit down and elevate my foot, and I keep telling him that "caregiver" has the word "care" in the title.....

Oh well, let's hear what is going on in your world today...

ETA - here is one more picture from the other night with DS and his GF.  Look at those cash registers - there were tons more, and they were fascinating and quite decorative.

May be an image of 3 people, people standing and indoor

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!  We’re going to have a very exclusive gathering of the two of us. DW did break down and only got a 16 lb bird this year. We will be set for leftovers for a little while 😀

Still need to work on getting hound to recognize vacation days 🙄 She was up at 6:30 this morning. After  having gotten up for something highly important during the night. Have no idea what, but it was important enough to make each of us have to stand out in the cold while she sniffed. 

now it’s above freezing, we will be heading out shortly as my contribution to dinner prep is to keep her busy and out of DW’s way.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

mrrun

Another Happy Thanksgiving!  My food prep is done to be finished at DD's.  Henry's out running and I'm enjoying the last of the peace and quiet for many hours!  

bioguy

Happy Thanksgiving!

Mrs Bio and I babysat for a bit so DD and her husband could go out to dinner last night.  I made blueberry pancakes for everyone for breakfast today and have been reading kids books and playing Legos fo grandkids.

Likely won't run again today, but might hop on the Peloton.

Have a greta day!

Dave59

Happy Thanksgiving.

I ran 4.28 this morning and finished up the fall challenge with 26 days to spare. I was the 31st person to finish out of 116.

Cindy and I are taking her father out for Thanksgiving dinner at the Venetian Estate, a "historic mansion" in Milton, WV.  We went there last year and liked it. That was the pre-vaccine era and it felt strange to be eating in a restaurant. This time will feel more normal even though covid is worse now that it was at this time last year. But we all have our shots and boosters so it is about all we can do.

Cindy let her hair go gray a number of years ago and then cut it short. I think she looks great so that is my preference.  I've been gray for a while but I am just glad to have hair. I feel sorry for bald guys.   (Just kidding.)

Thanks, Holly, and I bet the stairs are a definite obstacle.  Take "care"!

Happy Thanksgiving.  We are going to our friends' house (my daughter/son in law will come as well) and there is an interesting family situation over there with the potential for some drama.  Fortunately, it doesn't involve MY family!   I made cranberry salad (one of about 3 things I can actually make).  This is an early gathering- 1 pm.  Our family prefers late afternoon/early evening.  Oh well.

Joined up with the running group this morning for our alternative run to the crowded Turkey Trots.  6.4 miles for me and I actually maintained contact with people for the whole thing.  I beat the rain by about 2 minutes, so a big win there!

Enjoy the day, y'all.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

dnaff

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.  Holly - glad the surgery is over, take it easy on the stairs.

Yesterday's pie adventure turned out well.  Now I'm waiting for the oven to preheat so I can get the turkey started.

There is an annual tradition that the high school football players that went away to college return on Thanksgiving morning and play touch football at the park.  They weren't there yet when the dog and I made our rounds.  Will have to go back.  It's always fun to see.  And that is probably the only exercise I'll get today.  (other than cooking)

Ah, the oven just beeped.  And I'm only 2 minutes behind schedule. 

Marathon Maniac #957

KSA - we usually prefer the early meal, so we can spend the rest of the day "grazing" but nothing here today, but leftovers.

Surly - loved the Runners Thanksgiving Bingo!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Happy Turkey Day!!

Holly - Sit down and get your foot elevated!   Seriously, though.  You need to be a couch potato as much as possible. It's not easy, but you'll thank yourself later.

Nothing for me.  The Hub takes care of the courtyard at my office, so he's there this morning getting that done while no one is around.  I may go for a run later in the day, but decided to not do the Turkey Trot.  I'd rather sit here and drink coffee that I made too strong (yeowza! ) and be a semi-blob.

Nothing special for dinner, except I'll be making this Brussel sprout dish (delicious!) and we'll cook up a coupla pork chops.  The Hub leaves bright and early tomorrow to head to OR for the Civil War Game on Saturday . . . and I'll have 2 1/2 all to myself!!  Bliss!!

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Happy Thanksgiving 2021

At least, a lot better than 2020.

Holly - listen to DH and elevate.

No particular reason but just wondering

how many stairs and how many times today?

ps fantastic Carillon.

I haven’t seen lights like that since

the seasonal spectaculars the Japanese do.

. . . potential for some drama.  Fortunately, it doesn't involve MY family! 

KSA  - me too.  I'm making up for all the support from DW when it was mine a couple of years ago by giving her mine now that it's hers.

We’re going to have a very exclusive gathering of the two of us. DW did break down . . .. 

Stumps - whew, I was thinking you

and hound weren't going to invite DW.

However, with 16 pound turkey,

should be plenty for all.

I feel sorry for bald guys.   (Just kidding.)

BAD BOY!

BTY - whew.  I was afraid you were going to get up to 100 in your this morning's post last night. Don't know what brought this to mind but have you ever been brined, . . . I mean swum in salt water?  The city has big 50 something (yd/m?) beach side salt water pool out here I used to like in my more swimming days.

Thanksgiving thanks - lots to be thankful for but, with thanx and a tip of the RA hat to Norm McDonald, I’m especially thankful for my two children, . . . especially the one I still like. Friends can’t be beat, though, especially Sam, Diane, Cliff and Coach.

It's pre-cooked oven-roasted and I hope it works

but, in an attempt to minimize kitchen time that

I take over on Thanksgiving to wait hand-and-foot

on DW, after all-night soaking in brine, I’m going to try

the microwave method this year for more time

to sneak off for a virtual 5K Turkey Trot

with Dsis who's in SD.

Hope it works.

May be an image of food and text that says 'SPAM TURKEY L TURKEY OVEN OASTED'

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Denise - I think your hair looks lovely!  But I am still not giving in to gray....I think it is more difficult when you were dark brown naturally - you blonds look lovely as you gray...

Thank you!! I was actually always a brunette and then played around with tons of different hair colors including bright red the year I did the Dublin marathon. I am very fortunate it has grown out to a nice blend of greys plus I am in my 60's so it's a little easier to do. Still, I know it's not for everyone and if I ever get tired of it I know I can always go back to coloring it. I just go with what works at the time.

Volunteered at the start line of Feaster Five, walked the 5k with a friend I hadn't spent time with in a long time. We walked at a talking pace not power walk pace and it was great!! Then hung with some Sole Sister friends enjoying some holiday celebration!!

Making a couple of sides and heading to my sister's early afternoon.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!

denise

Happy Thanksgiving all!

I'm busy trying to talk my way out of extended family gathering. Not planning on any official Turkey Trots, but if I'm successful in my bowing-out, I'll go get in a leisurely recovery run this afternoon (still in the mid to upper 60's here, although it's dipping down close to the 40's at night).

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Nice pictures, Holly.  Love the one with your son and the cash registers.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Falconfixer

Happy Thanksgiving y'all!  Once again joined the local tradition here in the Shoals area...there were about 50 of us that met at 6 AM and ran the local (sheffield, so south of the TN River) 15k race course (the Huff 'n Puff on the Bluff, usually run in March).  Beautiful conditions (which will change today).  Course crosses over itself a lot and is a mix of commercial/industrial and residential (more residential).  Hilly course. Lots of fun and gorgeous views....the bluff overlooks the river and you run by one of the two famous recording studios in the area.  I was able to catch up with a lot of friends I haven't seen in some cases since last Thanksgiving.  Ran some pre and post so I had 12 miles total--will get to enjoy my turkey today!  Did take pups (with DW) for a short walk before the rain got here.

It's just the three of us this year which has been enjoyable.  Plus we each like to cook so a lot of job sharing.  Turkey was brined, injected, coated with a compound butter and now in the oven.  I made stuffing last night.  We're trying something new we saw on Food Network: It's a variation on escalloped potatoes.  Layer potatoes with caramelized onions (use Vidalia's or other sweet onion), then a mix of Gruyere and an Italian "5 cheese" blend (next time will just use Fontina with the Gruyere).  Pour in a mix of half and half with beef broth.  Cook it in oven for a while, then top it with stuffing mix, French fried onions and more shredded cheese.  Looks really good.  Peas (with bacon) will be done last.

Enjoy your day everyone!

MurrayM

5K easy pace today.

Happy Thanksgiving to those south of the border (or west-ish if in Alaska)...we had ours over a month ago.