Masters Running

Thurs 4/23 Master Runs, Workouts, or Rest (Read 464 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning Smile Last night's track workout...the night I have been looking forward to since last Nov 1st. I know and understand some runners hate / dread track work...not me. It's what motivates me on my easy runs, and gives me something to look forward too...track night....good strong efforts. Sadly, yesterday it was super windy out...up to 35 to 40 mph wind gusts. When I got home from work I turned on the weather channel real quick, while I put my running clothes on. The winds had died down a "little bit" to 25 to 30 mph, but there was rain coming. I dressed accordingly and headed out for a run to the track...4 miles away. By the time I got to the track it was raining heavily and I had to take my stoopid glasses off so I could half way see where I was going. Ok, I could have put this workout off a day, but felt like it would have hampered my 20 miler Sat. Plus, who said on race day there would be "perfect" conditions...so no excuses. While running to the track, I realized I would not be able to see my splits on the track and my watch. I decided to run strong and tall, and not go into oxygen debt...just a good strong effort without looking at my watch. It was raining so hard, the only thing I could do was push my lap / reset button on my garmin every 2 laps...can not trust GPS on tracks what so ever BTW. 11.5 miles - 1:31:37 - (wow) 7:58 ave pace - with 6 800 meter repeats with 200 meter recovery jogs. Without looking at my watch, I have never felt so consistent with a run...felt like every repeat was identical. I didn't even know what my pace and times were, until I got home and checked my Garmin lap feature....then plugged the times into a pace calculator. 1 - 3:19 (6:40 pace) 2 - 3:18 (6:38 pace) 3 - 3:25 (6:52 pace) 4 - 3:26 (6:54 pace) 5 - 3:23 (6:48 pace) 6 - 3:15 (6:32 pace)...The wind on the back stretches was horrible each repeat. The only reason these were "somewhat" inconsistent, was when the wind would almost stop me in my tracks (so it felt) but I am good at pushing through. Felt like running 2 more, but at this point didn't need to. Plus, I was freezing and just wanted to get to my warm home...felt great to be home. What did I learn from this workout...don't have a clue. But this run left me "wanting more" so I guess it was a good one. Once I was a 1/2 mile from home the sky cleared, and the sun came out and welcomed me with a VERY kewl rainbow...thanks running gods. Tammy - Holly....careful with those sore spots you two are dealing with! Erika, hope for a speedy recovery and answers to your "pain in the butt" issue. Twocat...sheesh poor guy, possibly 6 to 8 more weeks off...hope that is NOT the case. But your positive attitude around here is an inspiration, and helps sooo many others going through injuries (you helped me more than ya know) Thanks! Now off to read some more Boston RR's...these have been so much fun to read. Excited TimBo...to be back in the game...cherishing the gift!!! Smile Smile Smile PS: My couple of beers sure went down smooth...hey, I am partying with Nancy Wink

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Nice workout Tim. I don't have quite the base to be doing interval track work just yet. But my intent is to get there and your workout along with Ribs interval strategy yesterday is really timely for me. I'm going to put the info away in my mind for now with intentions of bringing it out in a couple months. Thanks Tim for your work ethic and attitude....it motivates me.
      Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
        Nice workout, Tim. I too like track work. A brief 4 before work this AM, 8:45's. Walt
          Some nice Boston reports to read this morning especially Henry & Marj you guys are awesome. My small 70 member running club had 2 men & 1 women break 3 hours one was 2nd in age group, those 3 train together alot & are amazing. 2 others were very close to 3 hours. The only way I'll get to Boston is go watch or not slow for the next 10 years so I can qualify Roll eyes Tim that's a great workout you posted. I injuried my left hamstring while umpiring Saturday afternoon. Took Monday & Tuesday off then did 3.5 easy last night. Will try 5 miles a little later today. 10 days to my half in Pittsburgh (DW also) If it goes good we might try Mount Desert Island Marathon in Maine, October 17th?. It would be almost a 900 mile drive for a marathon vacation but it looks fantastic Cool It would be her 1st marathon & she says she won't marathon train but will plan to walk about 8-10 miles. Have a Great Day Everyone!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

I don't particularly like track work. Probably because of what Spareribs posted about yesterday. I push my Repeats pretty good, wanting to get faster. I'm sure he was talking "directly" to me. Black eye I've been a bit absent lately as I've been on jury duty. I'm released from jury duty now so I can catch up with the last few days of workouts. Tuesday was speedwork. 8 miles total with 3 x 1 mile with 1/4 mile RI. The 1 mile parts I ran at 7:27, 7:10, and 7:16 paces. The 1st was a little over 5K pace, the other two were slightly under. Wednesday was swimming cross training. 1600 meters where I was tired and sluggish. I did not think I was going to make it to 1600m but after about 600m or 800m I started feeling better and finished it off pretty solidly. Today was Marathon Pace day. So I ran 11.3 miles at 8:33 pace, a few seconds per mile under MP. I feel pretty comfortable at MP right now. I can't call it "easy" but it's not a struggle either. It'll be close as to whether I can hold that pace for 26.2 miles. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

King of PhotoShop

Let me share a story with you about track work. When I was first coached a couple of years ago, my pace for the fiveK was 6:40, so my coach had me start out doing 4 x 800 at 7:00 m/m pace with a two hundred jog recovery. I did the workout easily and when I got home I emailed him that it was too easy and I felt I wasn't running fast enough. He wrote back and said, "You're running fast enough. Next week if you feel the same way, run another 800." These workouts have a cumulative effect, so next week I did do another 800. That next one wasn't so easy. When I got up to 6 x 800 it was a very tough workout. Eventually he moved me to 1,000 meters (oneK). Early on in this program I asked him if I could adjust the pace and run them a bit faster. He said, "Sure. Go run a faster fiveK and then we'll adjust your pace.." So he wasn't having any of my lip. Tim, you ran a good workout, despite the weather conditions. Maybe it was good not to look at your watch. If it feels easy next week, run a couple more 800's. Then move to oneK's. And if it still seems too easy for you, find a fiveK to run, and make an adjustment to your pace. I'm off to run and then my rest of the week is a mess. I have to shoot that film tonight in Chicago and won't get any sleep, then fly home tomorrow morning, work all afternoon at packet pickup for my club's race Saturday, then run in the race as a time trial myself. Ugh! Spareribs
              Slo

Hey Gang It's been a windy spring eh ? I logged a nice peaceful and easy 8.43mi at an 8:43 pace. I have my Garmin screen divided into 3 with the Pace and distance at the bottom. The damn Titles are so small that I wasn't sure which number to put down as distance and which one was pace. Wink I arranged a small group ride tonight. hey changed the wind forecast.......There are some that are already whining. Tim, Nice workout.....I too like the Interval and tempo runs. I'm anxious to see what you can turn in for a 5k.
                  Six miles---no watch and relaxed pace. Windy, sunny and 44º----supposed to be 90º on Monday. yowza I am taking the day off from work to go hiking with my kiddo. The training logs here have gone haywire or maybe it's just mine? Sarge, the Mount Desert Island marathon is a great one---quite hilly and beautiful. Well done race and yet low key.
                  Slo

The training logs here have gone haywire or maybe it's just mine? .
                    Yep, Mine too. There's a thread on the main forums page.
                    RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Woods Lady, I think your daughter is in Baltimore. Oh, and I just got off the phone with my mom, she said she went for her follow-up with her doctor. In January, he told her she was "pre-diabetic". Today, she is 5 pounds lighter and no longer "pre-diabetic". She said, "I really haven't changed much with my diet. It must be all that walking." I think she does watch what she eats a little better, too. Regardless, isn't it great what simply moving about can do for you? I could hear a smile in her voice when I told her about you here on RA. Ha ha! Maybe, she'll break her computer moratorium soon!

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

The training logs here have gone haywire or maybe it's just mine?
                        Whew! Glad it's not just mine. When I entered my miles as a tempo run this morning, everything on my graph is blue and it says "workout unknown." What's going on? Confused 7.5 miles this morning, 36° no wind and blue skies after 3 days of winter weather. This Saturday some friends and I will be running the "Crazy Legs" in Madison. The race starts at the state capitol and finishes on the 50 yard line of Camp Randall stadium. Beer and the Wisconsin marching band at 11:00 AM in the morning, life is good... The Boston reports have been inspiring to read. Congratulations to all of you - sounds like a great time was had by everyone.
                          4.5 miles for me last night in warm 74 degrees. How soon it will be that 74 degrees will be considered cool. Summer here we come. SLO_HAND The wind has been brutal here too...the only advantage it that on these warmer days, it feels good to get part of the run with the breeze to help cool you off. biketm Nice run in the rain. Your speeds exist only in my wildest dreams. Our HS just finished a new track and stadium this past year. I ran a mile on it the other day just for fun. I've been enjoying all the Boston reports. You are all truly inspirational. Way to go! Janet
                          stumpy77

Trails are hard!

It seems to be just the summary page of mine. all the individual workouts are still there and accurate, they appear to be just displaing as "Unknown" on the graph. also could you show the path to that thread. Not sure where main forum is. I don't think I've ever been there. I don't get out much Blush

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! {{{Twocat}}} – you have been such a trooper through this. Tim – wow, paces like that I can only dream about. Sarge – a marathon vacation with DW – how kewl! RCG (can I still call you that?) - good news about your mom. So many people could make a difference in their health with only small changes. 9 miles for me today in 41° with miles 3, 4, 5, 6, and 8 at (8:42, 8:38, 8:44, 8:42, 8:49). I’ve been having some mild but nagging pain in my right knee that is reminiscent of the patellar tendinitis I had a couple years ago. Not a big deal so far, but with it being nearly time to start ramping up again for the Seattle R&R, I’m watching it with concern. When I had it before, the sports doc said I could keep running, but reduce the number of days per week. I did that, and it cleared up fairly quickly. For right now, I’m going back to taking 2 days off running per week and see if that helps. Dg taught me to keep an icepack in the freezer at work, so I am icing as we speak. The heat wave is supposed to be arriving today, turning our daytime highs from 40's and 50's to the 70’s and 80’s. It’ll be pretty warm for my LR this weekend, and I can honestly say that’s the way I like it. Smile Happy Thursday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly, lose those 2 pairs of shoes you have that have over 500 miles on them. You're pounding your knees unnecessarily. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong