Masters Running

Wednesday Jan. 20 Master Runs, Workouts, and avoiding the Weather (Read 541 times)

Good luck to all of you who are having weather events today.  Be careful out there.

I ordered a Boston Marathon Jacket last evening and some other stuff.  Nice looking gear this year.

How was the Vegetable Beef Barley Stew Mary?  I wish I wasn't the only seafood lover in the house.  I'd love to make that Fish Chowder.  But that would be silly for one.

4 miles at recovery 10:00 min/mile pace.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Good morning, gang!

Byll - DH was admiring the Boston jackets last night as well - he hasn't bitten yet, but it's only a matter of time.

Tammy - sad news indeed.

Someone mentioned metatarsalgia yesterday??  I've been having intermittent pain in my left 5th metatarsal  - definitely aggravated by the back-to-back half and full marathons.   The week off seemed to calm it down, and two, slow 5 milers were OK, but the 6.5 miles at a tempo pace really made it mad yesterday.  I iced last night, and it seems better this morning.  I opted to do an hour of core and upper body weights followed by 12 minutes on the elliptical in lieu of the planned run.  Still debating on whether or not to see a sports orthopod.  I don't want to end up like Deena Kastor.

Good runs all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Marathon Maniac #957

TomS – left your running shoes home?  Ouch!  Hopefully you'll get back home before you need them. 

Teresa – 5 miles in snow is quite a workout.  With the kind of snow you’ve been getting, you definitely deserve a TM.

Breger – your wife not a fan of fish chowder?

Sue – I don’t get it – what happened to Deena Kastor?

5 easy-paced (ave 10:23) miles for me today in 25°.

20 push-ups

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly, no.  DW doesn't like seafood.  Can't stand the smell either.  Silly woman.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #957

My DH is the same way.  The only seafood I can get him to eat is breaded fried clams at Red Lobster, with lots of tarter sauce. 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

How was the Vegetable Beef Barley Stew Mary?  I wish I wasn't the only seafood lover in the house.  I'd love to make that Fish Chowder.  But that would be silly for one.

My DH loved it!!    I left a few bowls on the counter to cool before putting tops on them and he took one and ate it as his evening snack.   I'm not a big stew eater - but what I did pick at was good.    He has lots of left overs for lunches.

As for the fish chowder - I don't touch the stuff either, but I do like fish.   I made it just for DH.   So it can be done Bill - not silly at all!  Big grin   It really does not smell up the house either. 

Holly - everything is better deep fried and loaded with sauce ,don't ya know! 

20 pushups today - tone zone last night - kind of in a running funk.   I am going to look  up a training plan for May's 25K and get back on track.

Happy Hump Day!

P.S.  Slo - did you watch Biggest Loser?    I mentioned the first week that there was a woman I didn't like ..... it was the red team.   Boy, what a game player she is!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Mariposai

I love seafood, well I just love food in general......but just don't serve me  herrings, K?

Sue, I would to a doctor. I normally don't fool around with ouchies.

Rest day for my wings. I woke up for my normal day of running and I got ready to go for a short run, but my body was telling me that we were too tired...so I went back to sleep for another 2 hours and it felt magnificent.

Here is to a FANTASTIC day to all.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

dg.

Hi!  Just a quick post because I wanted to be able to say good morning.    Smile

(almost forgot...) 

good morning!

will catch up later.   

Welcome back Sue!!    (((( ))))...   I think you should see a doctor too.

BQByll, cool about your new Boston gear!   Say hi to Deb for me, even if she doesn't like seafood.

Nancy, very smart!  my body is saying the same thing right at this very moment, but I'm at work. 

went to the gym, 5 miles on the track & 20 min. on the ellipitcal, then lat pulldowns.   someone was place-holding the other machine with their butt &  I really didn't have time anyway.

wanted to thank all of you for your advice this time around, I am being really careful.   I think.  For me, anyway. I switched to EOD for running, doing only a little core stuff Tues....   used heat, tennis balls, & ice.  Not at the same time.    Today I decided I'd only do what felt right... I did push it a little, but only a little.   Pace was generally just a tad under 10 but I noticed I slowed during the last mile or so, so I suppose that was telling me something. 

The sun is out, at least a little.  anybody need some?

I Can Go The Distance

Hi Everyone,

I took a break from building my ark to see how everyone is doing. I have not been able to get online since Monday afternoon. When the first storm hit, a transformer here in my neighborhood went out. We were without power from 1 pm Monday until 5 pm Tuesday. I have been able to get in my runs though. The storms have been hitting the coast where I live around mid-morning. Yesterday, I did my weekly interval session (3 mi wu; 3 mi intervals 6x400m+ 6x400m recovery). Today I did my mid-week long run, 10 mi in 1:46:14 (10:38/mi). I used my hilly course, so my time was a little slower today.

Well, looking out the window, I see the storm clouds are forming again so I better post this just in case there's another power failure.

Have a great day everyone and if you live on the west coast-try to stay dry!

Bruce

PS: Almost forgot, 20 pushups and ab work.

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

Marathon Maniac #957

The sun is out, at least a little.  anybody need some?

Hey, I could use some of that!  I can wait if I have to, though.  It’s only 5 ½ weeks until March!   

evanflein

Dg, my body tells me that all the time at work too. Good message, but the timing sucks.

Sue, metatarsalgia is usually (I think) in 2nd or 3rd toes. I hope that's all you have and not something else. Please get it checked out.

Holly, that's not seafood. Reminds me of the only way DS2 will enjoy halibut: with tons of batter.

I made chicken noodle soup last night with stock I made the day before from a couple of chickens I roasted. I like getting them on special price, roasting two or three at once then we have roast chicken for dinner, lots of cooked chicken meat for the fridge or freezer for later dishes, then carcasses to make the stock. I used lots of rosemary in this batch and it smelled heavenly! DS2 had three bowls of soup last night so there's really not that much leftover. I love having homemade stock in the freezer, can't remember when I last bought a can of the stuff.

I also have a butternut squash so on Friday I'll make butternut squash risotto for DH's birthday. Geez, all this talk of food. No wonder I can't drop these holiday pounds.

Hope the west coasters have their umbrellas... they're gonna need them!

Weights at lunch, then RAW at home on the 'mill. First time for 2 days in a row since Dec. 31.

{{{dg and Sue}}}

Bruce - When you're done with your ark, can you float it up here and pick me up?  I only have 6 cats.  They don't take up a lot of room.  (Well, I have a Hub, too . . .)

10 water logged stride miles this a.m. in 1:38-something.  I couldn't have been more wet if you'd thrown me into a lake.  It rained non-stop with wind, but around Mile 4 or so, it really started coming down, with winds around 15-20 mph with gusts probably around 25-30 and a nice headwind for the whole last mile.  Didn't know if it was rain water or snot running down my face.  My shoes were literally sloshing by the time I got home.  Took forever to warm up in the shower.  . . . . although, if I'd just stood outside with a bar of soap . . . .

On a bright note (besides not wussing out and doing the whole 10), about half a mile from the end as I got to the other side of an intersection, a lady rolled down the window on her car and said, "You have a lot of dedication to be running in this rain!  Good for you!"  Made me feel good.

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

did somebody <<<(billfisher)>>> say my favorite nonrunning topic next to tapering?

However, being the only fish lover in the house should just mean less competition.

maybe mary was at the same fish camp where the cook told us

he could deep fry shoe leather and it would taste good.

ps - enkie's birthday continues to stave of the predicted rains since Sunday as today

and tomorrow are again predicted near and into the sixities.  thanks enkie. hope

you're able to get out and enjoy it.

Fugu Restaurant: Shibuya by jpellgen. 

it's good over there for a lot of things but truly fish lover's heaven with more species handled

every day at just the Tokyo fish market than there are days in the  year and average per capita

consumption at more than  5X in the West.

ps posie - I bet I can show you where you'll love mackerel,

sardine (big ones not in the can) and herring too.  

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Tet - About a month ago I cooked up the hailbut that I caught in Alaska!   It was SO good!   I only wish I had caught a bigger one, for more meals!

Actually, I don't like deep fried stuff much at all.   And it sure does not like me! 

I didn't want to actually touch the thing:

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

beeyoutifull photo.

probably the best halibut i ever ate was in Michigan too

when a friend brought one back there.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)