Masters Running

Sunday January 18 Runs and Adventures (Read 464 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Twocat – I share your skepticism about the urologist. Sadly enough, even doctors can be just out to make a buck. Working with attorneys has taught me that being highly educated doesn’t necessarily make you ethical. Or even particularly smart. Wildchild – you’ll laugh, but the movie I watched yesterday was called Serenity, a Sci-Fi Channel movie based on a series called Firefly. Our library carries lots of television shows as well as movies, and we recently watched Season One on DVD. My planned wave run was foiled by high winds, driving snow at times, and a slick new later of snow. Who’d have thought an inch of snow could slow you down so much? I was excited to see a balmy 26 degrees when I got up, so I left my extra layer off, but I didn’t take into account the winds, and when I was about 6 miles outside of town on a lonely country road and the wind really started to blow hard, thoughts of hypothermia sent me scurrying back to the lights of civilization. 14.05 miles – 12.05 outside (ave pace 10:31) and the last 2 on the TM (10:10). Miles 3 and 6 were at 9:04, 9:05, which was the closest I made it to BQ MP (8:47). Ah well, another day. Off to church now. Only 6 more weeks until March!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

My planned wave run was foiled by high winds, driving snow at times, and a slick new later of snow. Who’d have thought an inch of snow could slow you down so much? I was excited to see a balmy 26 degrees when I got up, so I left my extra layer off, but I didn’t take into account the winds, and when I was about 6 miles outside of town on a lonely country road and the wind really started to blow hard, thoughts of hypothermia sent me scurrying back to the lights of civilization. 14.05 miles – 12.05 outside (ave pace 10:31) and the last 2 on the TM (10:10). Miles 3 and 6 were at 9:04, 9:05, which was the closest I made it to BQ MP (8:47). Ah well, another day.
      That's how you do it, right there. That's some mental toughnes right there, I tell you what!
      Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Renee the dog

Good job Holly! You did more than me. I got all dressed, Renee and I went outside, and I pulled a Nono winter special. I turned around after about 10 steps and went back inside, got back in my pajamas and crawled under a pile of blankets on the couch. First time this winter I did this. (I'm slacking - usually have 1/2 dozen of them by now). It was 6 a.m. and the promise of no wind didn't hold up, and my son was trying to break my ribs all night, so I didn't go out with much fortitude. Black eye New plan is to run at lunch after I get the gumbo on and get my fortitude back. Going to look for the fortitude now....

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Holly, way to be tough and smart! Everyday, gotta listen to your body and rest when it wants it. Smart for you too. After some late night/early morning calls from work, I got up a bit before 7:00 AM to run. This is the latest in quite some time! The Miami Half is a week from today. The plan today was to run 8 miles at HMP + 20 seconds - about 8:20 min/mile or so. I ran 8.5 miles in total at 8:22 min/mile pace. (I wish the 1st mile wouldn't count because it's always the slowest mile for me as I warm up/wake up.) 9:20, 8:27, 8:21, 8:13, 8:10, 8:16, 8:12, 8:12, and 8:00. I'll take that. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Slo

Good Morning all Nice HTFU Holly ! Nono.....I'm still laughing. But I love those days! I should take more of those. It was 3 deg here, 6 mph wind....not bad. Finished an 11.5 mile......1hr 39 mins.......8:40 pace. The streets are snow packed so it was slow going in some area's. Off to Church. Good Runs to everyone !
              Nice running Holly and Bill. Bill you are ready for a great one next week. I am just back in from shoveling again and didn't find your fortitude out there nonoruns. Sorry 'bout that. We don't have to be at the rink until noon so I am on-line and watching hermosaboy in the Houston marathon. He's past 10k now at 6:25 pace. Let's all cheer loudly so he can hear us and keep flying. He's worked so hard for this. Yoga this am and then swimming later today for me. Flexirunner

Hill Runner

Good morning all, Nice running guys & gals.{{{healing vibes}}} to everyone on the DL. We have a heat wave this morning...35F and a little drizzly and also some light hail coming down. It really was a nice morning to run. 18 miles of hills @ 9:19 pace...I deliberately stopped short of doing 20....I felt great which is exactly how I want to feel after a LR. My nipples were bleeding a little but not too much. You really can't see it with a dark shirt. Smile Good runs to all today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Hermosaboy is in 2nd place in the 45-49 age group right now and in 19th place overall. He wanted top three. Back to vicarious running....
                    Just a few easy recovery miles in 6 inches of new snow for me today. Shovel first, then a fun jog in the new snow. Then my butt in the recliner for some FOOTBALL! Feel pretty good after yesterday's 14 miler in the cold (1 F so 13 points for me!)

7 for me this morning in perfect 35 degree temps! This makes the 4th week in a row that I've run 20+ miles. Yippee! Holly, you continue to amaze me. And I would have to agree with you about MOST lawyers, BUT my DD and SIL are the exceptionsBig grin Nono, if you can run after eating gumbo, that's fortitude! Send some snow our way so we can get out of school!!!! Peter, WTG. I just had a mammogram, and they put these little things.....never mind. ////////Hermosa Boy/////////

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good Morning... Hey Holly, I finally got on RA from home. Since the change over here at RA, and the fact I have Web TV at home, makes it next to impossible for me to get to this site. This is a good news, bad news post. I finally decided to run yesterday and thought the treadmill at the Y would be a wise choice considering what I was trying to do...a very very easy test run. I don't run on treadmills, and couldn't hardly figure out how to turn the darn thing on...I just wanted the stoopid belt to start working without the thing asking allll these questions. This gal next to me helped me get going. I am sure she probably thought this was my first time running, not knowing I train for Marathons. Once going I briskly walked a mile for a warm up to make sure my foot didn't hurt...it was pain free. I then run / slowly jogged 3 miles at 11 to 12 minute pace, which was hard for me to go that slow. Then a mile walk for a cool down. When I was finished I thought wow, no pain what so ever in my foot...but boy, being out of shape made that run feel more like 10 miles. I then lifted wieghts for 45 minutes and went home...this was the good part. The bad part is later in the day, the pain in the back of my heel returned and I was limping again...but not as bad as before, ok. Then I woke up this morning basically pain free and felt like I could run again...but was not going to. When I can run again, it is going to be every other day for awhile, with X training on the off days. Now, I don't know if I am happy - sad - or I guess just numb and confused. Confused is it and I guess I will see how I feel in a few days. But I still wonder about my heel spur thing. I mean my heel pain feels like a needle poking out the back of my heel..that does not sound like AT to me. Well, I think a 4th stoopid opinion might be wise just to be sure. Kinda long winded this morning, but helps to vent and makes me feel better sharing with friends that understand all this stuff. Twocat, I didn't notice you telling me to only run 1 mile till after my run. Maybe I better ease back into it like you suggested. Hope everyone has a Nice Day!!! TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

WOW...I hope hermosaboy posts a race report. He's in and it's his story to tell, but he ran a fast, fast time and it looks like great negative splits.
                            Go Hermosa! He must be finished by now. I hope it went as well as he had hoped. Holly, you are one tough cookie and smart to bring it back inside before the hypothermia started. I had one long run where that started to set in (brought on by freezing rain/sleet and high wind) and never again will I allow myself to get to that point. It was too scary. Great progression run Bill. You are set for a great race next week. Tim, sorry to hear about the heel issue. It doesn't sound like AT but could be the heel spur. I think if you want to run more than one mile, you ought to try the run walk system. That is what I did when coming back from a stress fracture and it worked well. Out for 5 recovery miles today. Avg. pace 8:20. It's much warmer than yesterday today so it was actually nice running weather. This caps a 53 mile week for me so I am happy.

Once a runner . . .

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Byll...I agree with the others that you are ready to run a fast half next weekend! Wow Hermosa! the Houston Marathon! I'll have to look up results, can't wait. Meg... 53 miles for me this week too. Your running is really coming along now! Holly.. you re much tougher than you think, and very wise! (sekret message to Peter......... I use little round bandaids from CVS called "Clear Spots") There's alot of tough runners here like Slo_Hand... ..."It was 3 deg here, 6 mph wind....not bad. Finished an 11.5 mile......1hr 39 mins.......8:40 pace. The streets are snow packed so it was slow going in some area's" 3 Magical Healing Miles with Tory in 28:48 (9:36 pace, AHR 138) Nice 35F with a flake or two.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

12 miles with temps 30 degrees warmer than yesterday. I ran a bit faster (9:50 pace) unencumbered by quite so many layers. Off to eat lunch with dear-old-dad.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason