Masters Running

training advice (Read 193 times)

Hi everyone, I'm doing the Tom King 1/2 in Nashville on March 14th, and this Sunday, March 1, I signed up for a 2 pm10K. I've been increasing my long runs on Saturdays each week, with almost 12 miles last Sat. My question is, should I go ahead and try for my planned 12.5 tomorrow, and not worry about having very tired legs for the race, or slack off tomorrow, thereby not reaching my new monthly goal of 100 miles, in the hopes of doing ok in the race Confused Helen

Marathon Maniac #957

Helen, If I were running a race on Sunday, I wouldn't be doing a LR tomorrow, especially just to reach a certain number of miles for the month. A number is only a number. Me, I would run the race on Sunday, and then add a few miles afterward to make it a LR. Good luck on your 1/2, btw...I hope you'll post a report about it afterward. Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

If I were running a race on Sunday, I wouldn't be doing a LR tomorrow, especially just to reach a certain number of miles for the month. A number is only a number. Me, I would run the race on Sunday, and then add a few miles afterward to make it a LR.
        Sounds like perfect advice......I agree.
        Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

#artbydmcbride

I would run the regular long run tomorrow (your goal is the half on March 14, and you do want to be trained), and just see how the race feels. You may be surprised. Smile

Runners run

Slo

I would run the regular long run tomorrow (your goal is the half on March 14, and you do want to be trained), and just see how the race feels. You may be surprised. Smile
            I'm with Ilene on this one. I usually have alot pep the day after a hard day or long run. Make sure you re-fuel !!! 12.5 miles and your going to dip into your fuel reserves. And of course, make sure Monday is a very easy or complete rest day. Good Luck and give us the RR
              Hmmm, It's a split decision. I'm kinda w/ Ilene and Slo-Hand, and since I don't plan on doing so great in the race as my AG is 50-59, and I'm right there at the tail end.... I realize that's not a good attitude, but it's reality. Thanks for your input!

King of PhotoShop

Keep your priorities straight. The Half on March 14 is the key race, not Sunday's. So take a different view. Run your LR tomorrow as planned. Then on Sunday, use the first mile or so to warm-up and see if you can make the tenK into a progression kind of run, planning to finish with some energy and effort. You are very unlikely to run the tenK at optimal performance given the previous day's LR considering the weekly mileage you are doing. So think of this as a great opportunity to have a big weekend. Normally I wouldn't like to see two big workouts back-to-back, but this will be your final big weekend and it will be a confidence booster for you. Do not take Monday off. Just jog 2-3 very slow miles. Then take Tuesday off if you feel you need to. Spareribs
                  I am basically with Spareribs on this, but I lack his discipline to do what he wisely recommends you to do. That means if you are like me I would end up "racing" th 10K but do my best not to go full out. One trick I have is to start a bit further back in the pack and then try to stop myself from trying to go "fast" early on. Sort of like Spareribs' plan but as I said with without the discipline.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/