Masters Running

40s+ On the Run - Take It on the Run, Baby! (w/e 06/06/09) (Read 423 times)

Welcome to a new week!

Was scheduled for 10, but my calves hurt so dang bad, I could only manage 7.5.  I've been walking around as much as possible today, but every time I get up after being stationary for awhile, I look like I'm walking with cob up my puttootee until my calves loosen up again.  Agh!  Good thing tomorrow is a rest day.

Later -

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

jfa

Thanks Leslie- hope those calves loosen up quickly. Usually with muscle tightness for me ,it's the day after the day after when it really stings! ! Ouch!

Three Saturday's in a row, I spent about 2 1/2 hours behind the mower. Three Sunday's in a row, I have had really tired legs on my long run. Hmmm, wonder if there's a correlation .......    Damn grass.....

flatland mountaineer

I hear ya Joe if our grass gets any taller we are gonna have to rake it and bale it and sell the hay!!! We have a decent rider but it sits idle until we get our fields looking good. We have had favorable winds so other than a quicky 2 miler yesterday am no runs. Bailed on my long run this morn but sprayed over 300 ac today. Quit about 6 but after loading, mixing, spraying, and multiple trips up the ladders I was ready for a shower and an easy chair.  Rain again in the forecast starting tonite so will try and work some longer runs in the coming week.

Leslie sore calves really suck, I  know the feeling well.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Top 'O the World!

Good hard/steady rain through the night = mud bog of a trail (where I'd typically do my long run) ....otherwise IRC's....but DS#2 coming over to "earn a little yard work$$" in a little bit, so I'd better make it a 5 er.....

Have a Great Week everybody....

Ciao!~

Cindy

mta: 5 hilly damp miles @ 12:06 av pc (includes bunnies & potty stops) AHR/133

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
            Morning -

Rest day for me.  The calves are loosening up a bit, but I looked like a grandma getting out of bed this a.m.

We have a sewage back up here at work and it smells absolutely awful!  We can't even use the bathroom, and nobody has said let's call it a day.  Good grief - there's only 4 of us in this office and there are no appointments scheduled, not that we could follow through with them anyway.  Grrrrrrrr!!

Took my old guy Fatso to the vet this a.m.  Has an upper respiratory infection 'cause his teeth need cleaning really bad.  So even though there's risk to put him under anesthesia due to his age (he's 19), we're going to go through with it.  Poor guy.  We've put it off because of the age/risk thing, but can't anymore.

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

...... but I looked like a grandma getting out of bed this a.m.

Hey!  I resemble that!

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Leslie, nice running....you've got it going on in the running dept.  Good luck with Fatso, I trust things will turn out well.  By the way......why don't you go ahead and call it a day.

Joe, I've been behind the mower more than I'd like....but I better get used to it cause mowin' season is here.

Hey Jim....we could use a little more rain where I'm at.

Good running mtn....

An easy 6er for me this evening.  Met up with a longtime running buddy.  He invited me to join him in a10K race in a couple weeks.   I was telling someone the other day that it has been years since I ran a 10K race....I'm thinkin' about bustin' a move.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Queen of 3rd Place

Hi all! Just thought I'd pop in, I have yet to catch up on everyone's goings-on.

Leslie - what's up with the calves - I guess you had a hilly race? I'll have to look back at the news.

Hope everyone else is holding up. Joe's really gonna surge ahead of me mileage-wise, now

Man. Things are just super hectic right now, and it looks like it's gonna be that way for awhile, while I help my mom relocate to an assisted-living place here in Fresno. This all sucks - for her, and for me - to be honest I've had my moments of thinking "I just can't handle all this, I want to scream", but we'll get through it. Hey, at least I'm not teaching this summer - I have other stuff to do for work, but it's all very flexible. 

Good news is I sure enjoyed running in LA this week. Highs in the 60s, cloudy, slight breeze, the jacaranda and magnolia trees in bloom, really just lovely. Keepin' me sane, too.

Arla

Ex runner

Hi there 40's friends!

Leslie, gotta love REO Speedwagon.  One of my fav's in high school, and I still kinda like 'em.  Funny how what you liked in HS is what sticks with you.  When is Fatso getting his teeth cleaned?  Hoping he does well.  Your weekend of running was pretty intense.  Hope the calves loosen up soon!

Joe, you must have quite a bit of land to mow.  And good call on blaming the grass for dead legs.  I'm gonna have to try that one Smile.

Jim, seems that you have some bigger fields to "mow".  Getting any kind of run in amidst all the work is a good thing!

Cindy, nice 5 miler and nice pace for you and Mairead.  Hoping the bunny chases and potty stops were initiated by the pup.

Ev, a 6 miler and thoughs of a 10K.....sounds like a good pair.  LOL on bustin' a move!

Had a decent run with my friend on Sat, and a not so decent run this morning.  Still moving though, and that's what counts.  My new gizmo is revealing trends, and I'm working on giving myself an insulin dose "tune up" these days.

Howdy to everyone else.  Hoping Jewels is surviving graduation season!

MTA: Arla, glad to hear your mom is going to be closer to you.  Seriously tough stuff for both of you.  Glad you are finding some reprieve in running. 

Progress Trumps Pefection
                      Howdy, Arla!  Glad you got to pop in.  Hang in there with your mom.  Assisted living is better than living with you.  Re the calves - too much strength training on Friday after no calf strength training for awhile, followed by 16 trail miles on Saturday and 7.5 on Sunday has made for some pretty PO'd calves.  Oh well.  Live and learn!

Cindy - Looks like you guys might be gettin' snow over the next couple of days?!?!?  That sucks!

Ev - Wish I had been able to call it a day.  Took an early lunch so I could go home and use the bathroom.   When I got back, the City had fixed the problem (it was on their end) and our plumber had cleaned up the mess the backup made, but he also disinfected with bleach.  Sooooo - the whole building smelled like bleach.  I tell ya, if ain't one thing it's another.

Okay - back to transcription.  As long as people are getting DUI's, trying to murder, or succeeding in murdering, one another, my at home business is brisk.

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Mornin', Glories!

Gave the calves another day of rest.  They're still pretty stiff and sore, but I'm moving somewhat easier today, so I guess last night's hot bath then massage session worked a bit.  Tomorrow will be stationary biking and strength/core . . . but no calf strengthening!  Keeping fingers crossed I'll be in decent shape for 6 hilly miles on Thursday.  Hey - at least this happened now and not closer to my run.

No sewage backup today, so that's a plus!

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Good Morning Folks!  guess it's afternoon on the East coast by now.....

Nice to see you {{{{Arla!}}}} it'll come together.  Just breathe!~..... glad you're getting some mental health runs in....ahhhh Blue Jacaranda?   is it as fragrant as it looks?

Carol:  hope your new gizmo has good news/help for you  ....what kind of "trends?"  Amazing the progress being made with that stuff....my Grandma was constantly dealing w/her med/food/life/female body combos....something was always "not quite right!"..... not sure if my new meds are doing much yet....Doc said it would take weeks for my body to "accumulate" stable levels  

Joe:  you ever consider switching up your schedule?  maybe do your long run 1st, then mow the back 40?..... & I'm thinking that a 2.5 hr lawn sounds like rider business to me!! the biggest thing about my lawn maint is doing a walkabout to find all the doggie toys 1st (not good on mower)  

Leslie:  sounds like a simple case of overdoing it a bit ~ sans Wonder Woman underwear!   nothing a little rest, fluids, stretching, walking it out & self massage (or hired) won't cure.....How's it feeling today?  & How's Fatso?  Need to get my little doggies in for dentals....they love that!

& how are your calves doing Jim??  Are you guys getting the rain that we are? Wicked lightning last night!!! & heavy downpours! Had all the dogs trying to sit in our laps during the worst of it !~ & one of 'em is darned big!

Ev:  How many songs have the lyrics "Bust a Move?".http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy4FXhkm6Nw....enough for a 10K playlist?

Okay, gotta gap in the rain....still cool & gusty, buy hey! That's better than H&H!!

Laters!

Cindy

Leslie:  sounds like a simple case of overdoing it a bit ~ sans Wonder Woman underwear!   nothing a little rest, fluids, stretching, walking it out & self massage (or hired) won't cure.....How's it feeling today?  & How's Fatso?  Need to get my little doggies in for dentals....they love that!

I've removed my Wonder Woman underwear for the time being . . . I replaced them with regular underwear. I don't do commando.

Fats, Fats, Fats, he just didn't understand the "no food" thing this a.m.  Kept walking to where we feed him to sit and stare, then come to me and meow.  Poor guy.    I'll call closer to noon to see how he's doing.  Asked them to put a towel in the cage with him so he has something soft to lay on for his old bones.

MTA: Just talked to the vet.  They did Fats first and he's doing good.   No tooth extractions, thankfully.  And he's gonna give us a new med to try and help the old guy poop easier. Yes, this is a major issue due to his kidney problems.  Watching him try to go to the bathroom, I get sympathy hemrroids for him.  Man, it's he!! getting old, ain't it?

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Hi All-

Good to see you Arla. It sucks about your Mom. I have had similar issues in the past couple of years with my parents and like all of life's "challenges" have found that running helps me greatly in finding ways to cope.

Good job Ev with your move busting 10k plan.At our age, just make sure you're not busting anything else!

Jim- hope it rains enough for your  crops and running,but not too much that your truck gets stuck! I think that maybe an unkempt lawn is just a badge of honor for being  a runner?

Carol-good job keepin' on keepin' on.I hope you get the hang of your gizmo!

Cindy- cool is cool.Yes, I need to cut the grass on Friday,or Thursday, or get the kids to do it (hahaha) or maybe just let it grow. Hey,that's sounds like a good lyric "let it grow..let it grow...."

Leslie- hope Fats is doing well and happy your calves and bathroom situation is better!

If you guys have not yet heard, tomorrow is National Runner's Day. So let's all get out and show all of our nonrunning fellow citizens what it's all about!

ps-is the Hokey Pokey really what it's all about? Just wondering.......

Top 'O the World!

OK, "gap" just meant lighter rain....guess that's called a soft day ....3.88 wet, hilly, rolling miles @ 11:24 av pc. 139 AHR... 47* F/100% H....not so many bunnies out today! & 'Raid only took one potty break ....off to HOT SHOWER!