Masters Running

Can we Weight until tomorrow, or even next week? (Read 426 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Last week I was down 2 lbs and I know, without weighing, that I am back up those same 2 lbs, but I also know that I have a perfectly reasonable (hormonal) explanation, so I think this week I will choose not to weigh.

My goals for next week are:

1. Be back down to last week’s 115 lbs
    2. Continue in my quest to eat more vegetables and force encourage my kids to do the same.
    3. Continue with the increased intake of lean protein

How’s everyone else doing?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

same here Holly ....... for 3 days in a row i weighed 134 but today was back at 136 im sure it's from not working out at all this week and a little too heavy on the comfort foods..........will get back on track but probably not til after the weekend

denise

TammyinGP

I'm pretty frustrated also. I KNOW I've lost weight. My pants are much looser through the butt and waist and I've even gotten a couple comments about losing weight, my face looking thinner, etc. and yet my scale has not budged more than 2 lbs. I've reduced calories quite a bit over the last few weeks, am still running my normal amount (last week was even 32 miles, which is about 10 more than the norm for me), and I've had almost NO treats or junk food for 3 wks now. 

so it's very frustrating that the scale has only gone down by 2 lbs.

Tammy

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

I with you Holly, and for the exact same reasons.    Doesn't seem fair though, that this is the 2nd time in 2 weeks this month.  Sad    Chocolate and motrin are my friends right now.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Tammy - You're gaining muscle and losing the fat.  The scale won't budge much, but that's why you're feeling and people are seeing the change.  I'd gladly stay at my current weight if it  meant more muscle mass.

We're in San Diego for a conference, and since my girlfriends took me out to the Cheesecake Factory for my birthday lunch today, and I had a plate of fish tacos, beans, and rice, and then we shared a LARGE piece of 30th Anniversary Chocolate Cake Cheesecake - which was absolutely unbelievable - I'm not weighing in right now - - although there's a scale in the fitness center.

I have a question for you Holly - with all the miles you put in, are you still, well, have your monthly visitor??  I haven't since September.  Just curious, because I know mine (or the absence thereof) is due partly to my current training.

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #3309

Yikes, I hope you Wimmins are not going to bop me on my head - Down 5 pounds since last Thurs Morning (162 down to 157), on my way to my goal of 150 pounds or less in 3 or 4 more weeks. After losing my 100 pounds plus years back, I am a master of losing weight VERY quickly when I put my mind to it. -----You know what everyone? Scales are NOT a real good indicator of size and shape sometimes, and in reality we shouldn't weigh ourselves at all, but go by how our cloths fit - how we feel - and maybe the comments and input we get from others about how we look (but saying that, I weigh myself all the time too)....I think Tammy is a great example and indication of this --------Hey Leslie....either your monthly visitor is on vacation....or about June you may have to buy some pampers (grins) ----And Tammy, don't forget about the "end of the month" weight loss also Ya know (silly me) ----TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

evanflein

I get mine about every 3-4 months and it lasts for 2 weeks or more. That's sure a drag, but I'm enjoying the absence when It's gone!

I was doing ok this week, still holding at 143, but went out to dinner tonight and had lamb oso bucco (sp?). Very good and filling, but I've done nothing but sit on my butt in meetings all day today, and probably more of same for tomorrow (hey, I got up at 3:40 this morning to catch a 6 a.m. flight!). I prolly won't weigh again till Sunday or Monday.

Tammy, I bet you're getting leaner. I think that's one of the reasons I haven't lost weight is because I've put on some muscle. Pants that were tight not too long ago are not-so-tight now, even at the same weight. That's my story and I'm sticking with it! (although I must say, weight training used to make me lose weight fast; not it doesn't seem to work that way)

Marathon Maniac #957

I have a question for you Holly - with all the miles you put in, are you still, well, have your monthly visitor??  I haven't since September.  Just curious, because I know mine (or the absence thereof) is due partly to my current training.

Leslie - I still have my regular schedule, yes.  I think in order to be affected by amenorfhea, you have to have really low body fat, and I still have plenty of body fat.  As for you, are you sure it's your training, and not just, well, the irregularity that comes in peri-menapause?  At our age, you never know when that will begin to show up, since it's different for every woman.

Tammy and Erika - I think that, if your clothes are fitting looser, and your scale has not moved, that the answer should be obvious;  You're becoming Fatheads.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

TammyinGP

Erika, every 3-4 mos?? wow. I'm an every 21-22 day gal.

Ok, so I always hear that "you must be gaining muscle" - but seriously, how much muscle weight can one possibly gain in only a few weeks?  I guess I've always sort of blown that excuse off because it just doesn't seem possible to gain muscle weight when I'm really not doing anything to build up my muscles. I'm not weight training - all I'm really doing as far as toning is pushups and core work, which is around 15-20 min a night. and then running of course which just continues to keep my leg/butt muscles toned. But it's not like I'm lifting weights or otherwise really working my muscles to the point of building them.

on the upside though, it is the end of the month, so I guess that means I'm due for some weight loss. . .  

I didn't weigh myself today because DH made some roasted potatos with dinner last night and I had some, which I'm sure had more salt in them then I usually eat, so just couldn't bear seeing a higher number on the scale. Maybe I'll weigh myself after my 13 mile run tomorrow so I can see the scale go down, even if it's not accurate.

Tammy

evanflein

I agree, Tammy. I have a hard time swallowing that one, too. I've heard that the most a woman can put on with regular weight training (not talking hard core body building, just the stuff most people would do) is just a couple pounds. And I always hate it when people say "muscle weighs more than fat." How stupid. A pound is a pound. The truth is muscle is more compact and takes up less "space" pound for pound, so if you were to replace 5 lbs of fat with 5 lbs of muscle, yes you'd be more compact and would probably notice more breathing room in your clothes.

Tim, don't even think that.  Besides, it would have to be the immaculate conception.

Holly - *sigh* As much as I don't want to think about the peri-crap, I may be in there.  However, I absolutely do not mind not having that.  It's great!

Erika - Muscle weighs more than fat? Sounds like, "Your uterus will fall out!"

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Prince of Fatness

171.5.  Up 2.  Not surprised really.  Something was up last week when I lost 4.5.  Net I'm still doing OK.

And just to let you wimmen know you won't frighten me with all of this hormone talk.  I've been married 24 years and live hormones every day.  Heh.

Not at it at all. 

SteveP

Tammy, your scale has gone over to the dark side.

204 lbs

SteveP

#artbydmcbride

Any doughnuts in here? 

Runners run