Masters Running

Saturday, 2.4.17 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Sorry, but I don't have time for a recap this morning. Today is our town's Deliberative Session, at which we'll discuss all 44 warrant articles, and amend some of them before they all go to ballot for our Town Meeting next month. This is how we do everything in town from electing town officials, approving (or not) the next year's budget, buying fire trucks and other big equipment, funding the replacement of sewer lines, approving union contracts, approving town donations to local social service agencies, etc., etc. DW and I write-up and publish the pros and cons of each warrant article so our townspeople can (hopefully) be better informed when deciding how to vote. In addition, there are a couple of conservation commission warrant articles that I will be speaking in favor of, so we'll be busy today. The Session starts at 8:30, and will go to at least mid-afternoon.

Last night's political dinner was boisterous and fun. We didn't spend anywhere near all evening talking about politics because all of us, regardless of our political persuasion, are burnt out from the intensity of the last month or so - that is one thing we all agreed on!

3.5 brown bag miles at the usual time this morning. It feels like I bruised my upper back when I fell yesterday, and it is still cranky this morning. So I just took it easy, enjoyed the sights and sounds of the day beginning to wake up, and was glad to out enjoying another refreshing (20F) morning.

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...Easy on The Back jay//........you are a Busy Guy these days.......

============

20s here.......not pleasant

did

40-min PoolRun, nb, cf, ris,paw

skipping GreenWay til tomorrow or Monday

..................good running to the rest of ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

C-R

Wow Jay that is a pacjed day. Glad you got some miles.

Back better TW?

Ran 4 this monring with club. 11 degrees but cris and sunny. Didnt seem so cold. Meeting a friend for some trail miles this afternoon. Its good for my soul tonbe in the woods.

Birthday bash for our twins tonight sonthe hiuse will be filled with teen boys. Wish us luck.

Have a great day all.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Tramps

Jay—hope the back keeps improving.  And good for you for your discussions and continued civic participation.  It’s important…as our all-too-common lack of civil discourse shows.

C-R—have fun with the kids!

Enjoyed the tech talk on yesterday’s thread.

BTW, every major car has a user’s forum out there.  Heck, I even use My Tractor Forum when my lawn tractor’s acting up and Sawmill Creek when I’m doing woodworking projects!

Spinach—Sounds like you’re on top of these changes. There are definitely some good resources out there and creative ways to use them.  (A couple of our math instructors liked integrating Wolfram/Alpha into their courses, which you probably know about). The educational publishing field is really being transformed, too, as you point out.  One possible model for the short-term future?

Twocat—I feel your pain.  We worked with faculty, not students, but they were all over the map, too.  Some great and either already skilled or interested in learning, others defensive and threatened by anything “new” they didn’t understand at first glance, which was sad.   (BTW, when teaching about the logic of programming--which we didn't do a lot of--we’ve used MIT’s free Scratch software—designed for 8-12 year olds!—because it’s non-threatening and fun to play around with.  Talk about starting with the basics!)

Beautiful sunshine today, which we haven’t had much of lately.  Upper 20s and a good breeze drove me to pull out running pants for the third (?) time this year.  Brrr.     Sleepy 6.

Be safe. Be kind.

No recap from Jay so I have no idea what anybody did yesterday. 

Starr, my Garmin is pretty good in the pool but often miscounts laps. If I were good enough to swim continuously with flip-turns I think it would do better at sensing the turnarounds.

Another good 6-mile run this morning. It was sunny with no wind, but only about 12F at the start. 12 of us started out from the parking lot together, but our group of three was soon outpaced by the others.  I dressed the same as the other day, but as we say around here, "If you start off on a day like this feeling warm -- you're overdressed." So again I felt almost overheated by the halfway point. Oh well, better a bit warm than chilled.

This afternoon I really need to do a load of my laundry as I was forced to pick through the laundry basket this morning to get out the items that I wanted to wear. Amazing how fast that basket fills up this time of year, too, as a run outside generates a lot of laundry due to all the layers.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Back better TW?

....Much Improved, thanks CR

I seem

to be getting A LOT of practice recovering from injuries

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

catwhoorg

Labrat

8.6 miles round the 'hood in glorious winter sunshine.

Wonderful feeling to be out and enjoying it.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Marathon Maniac #957

Boy, C-R is going to have a noisy house tonight.  Have fun (and be grateful it isn't girls, I expect the drama level will be lower).

Starr - I ran the Canton City Marathon a couple of years ago - pretty well run and friendly.  The only complaint I had is that it is a two-loop course, and many of the volunteers left when the HMers went through, leaving the couple hundred marathoners out there on the course alone in sections.  For a slower runner like me, there were several times with no one in sight when I wasn't sure which way to turn.  And when I got finished, with my 4:34 finishing time, the finish line festivities were over and mostly wrapping up.

Roch - you are right about how quickly the running laundry basket fills up this time of year, when we are wearing so much more in the way of clothing.

12 degrees when I headed out today.  For Erika, that's a heat wave, but for wussy me, that's colder than I like by far.  However, the sun came up and began warming things up nicely.  I ran two out-and-backs, stopping by my house in between for a pit stop and to take off a layer.  It was near 30 when I finished.

20.2 miles total

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

I just picked up my packet for tomorrow. The expo was outdoors but the weather is fine.  Earlier today we went to Annabelle's soccer game.  They have 7 girls and none have ever played before. They haven't scored a goal yet this year but they came close today.

After the game and lunch we barely made it back to the hotel. The roads were open very briefly in-between a kids run and then a bunch of protesters walking through the streets.

Nice long run Holly!

4.3 miles.  I did one mile in there at 9:28 pace but I won't tell you the others. Wink

It was raining.  I said to myself, so what?  It was my punishment for not running all week.  Funny how I enjoyed it though - not really punishment at all!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

When I first woke up, this morning, I looked at the clock and thought, "It's frickin' Jay-O'clock!  Go back to bed, you idiot!"  I laid there for awhile, but couldn't get back to sleep, so I went to work.

So--I went to work--finished the granddaughter's school project--ran with my friend--now, I'm waiting to go pick up another granddaughter to take her to her soccer game.  I'll be ready for bed at around 7.

9 miles with wind.  But it was fun.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

evanflein

12 degrees when I headed out today.  For Erika, that's a heat wave, but for wussy me, that's colder than I like by far.  However, the sun came up and began warming things up nicely.  I ran two out-and-backs, stopping by my house in between for a pit stop and to take off a layer.  It was near 30 when I finished.

20.2 miles total

Nice long run, Holly! And yeah, haha, I'm waiting for it to warm up to above zero before I go run, in the sunshine. It should be about 7° when I finish. But that's warmer than tomorrow's expected to be, so I'm doing my long run (14 miles) today. My last 20 will be next weekend and I'm hoping for zero or warmer temps. Will do the double (or triple) loop thing though so like you, I can stop at DH's office to change shirt/jacket/mitts, whatever to not get too chilled.

Glad the back is feeling better, tomwhite, and I hope Jay's continues to improve. That falling on the ice can be scary stuff.

Have fun tonight, C-R, and I'm with Holly on the yeah boys will be loud but should be less Drama.

Good to get out there, Enke, rain or no rain. To hear Tet, he prefers the wet 'mutes anyway!

I've got to go back and check previous dailies... is Starr looking for a marathon?

Doing laundry and various other house stuff so far today. Time to get my layers on and pack my bag to go run some miles. Then go to the gym for a long hot shower....

TammyinGP

Volunteered at the local Couple Shuffle 10K Relay / Love Stinks 5K. And then I needed to get in an 8 mile run so did that afterwards. Nice and mild out today, about 50. 

going to go bowling tonight. I should probably take a nap first 

Tammy

flats

turtle runner eximious

12.46 TM miles for me this AM. Then I went to a soft opening for a restaurant I designed. A soft opening gives the staff (and kitchen equipment) a test run before officially opening the doors to the public. And the food was free 

5k last night.

Michael

Marathon Maniac #957

Flats - I think you should head out for another .04 to make it a nice round number....  So you design restaurants - I am intrigued.  Can you tells us more about that?

Our church pastor is a football fanatic, so our church puts together quite a fun extravaganza of a Super Bowl church service.  We went to the 4pm service today and it was great fun, with a nice message tucked in as well.

Tomorrow I am volunteering at a local Frostbite 5-miler - about time I got off my butt and helped out around here....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."