Masters Running

Its WEDNESDAY 12/4 for me is it for you? (Read 40 times)

Coming to you once again from the future this time with your Wednesday daily!

fatozzig I am amazed at how much you love doing litigation work! Can you get your firm to assign you more of it?

tetsujin209 there are no diving boards, lap lanes or any other pool like attachments. Sexes are not segregated.  I have no idea what the dress policy is. You are right it is not more than a few feet deep anywhere.

roachrunner we have "giving Tuesday" and a non-stop United Way campaign. I am good at ignoring all such entreaties. I have a few select charities that I give money to each December. Basically, I figure out what I want my totals to look like for each, send them a check and tell them if they want more next year to keep doing what they are supposed to do and not waste money trying to flatter me. It more or less seems to work.

Surly Bill I would find that FB group so depressing! Is there one that mostly has much, much slower people?

Joe618 so far Wednesday morning has gone well! Thank you. Also, good for your DS to give you call about the interview process. I always loved the quip that goes something like, "Ever since I turned 18, my parents have become smarter every year." I guess your DS is several years into your IQ going up.

TammyinGP this songs for you! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXyxFMbqKYA

Holly S. when it comes to good Mexican food, I suspect that if they toss it into my coffin my cold dead body would find a way to eat it. I hope you manage more than water and a few chips.

mrrun hmm not sure what rule number you are breaking by posting in the Tuesday daily on Monday. Have to find that rule book again.

SteveP I tell you, if you were to write a book of humor you would sell a million copies.

Dave59 but if you work down your list you will have procrastinated procrastination and be nowhere ahead. You may as well just procrastinate. 

coastwalker and you live in the tundra because . . .

dnaff I remember reading long ago that a good giving strategy is to pick a charity or two that you really like and concentrate all your donations to them. That will make a bigger impact and give you the ability to call in if you dislike something they end up doing. Long ago I found that if you do that they will take your call at least. Not that they will necessarily listen. I used to give to the Rain Forest Action Network until they actively opposed the WTO. I called to tell them that opposition was a good way to encourage rain forest destruction. They ignored me and I switched charities.

I have to run now as my ride to my next hotel just showed up. I managed an hour on the elliptical. More news later.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

It is now later and I am beat. I thought I was going to go sightseeing with a friend of mine at Tsinghua University. Instead my schedule was rearranged and I ended up visiting the faculty all day. Next they are going to take me to dinner. I hope that I do not fall asleep in the middle of the evening.

Here is my "off" day: An hour on the elliptical. Breakfast. Wait to hear when the staff from Tsinghua will pick me up to switch to the hotel closer to their campus. Get a surprise call that they are I will be the lobby waiting for me. Finish packing asap and go. On the way to the hotel find out I am not touring but rather see faculty all day. Get to the hotel and change out of touring clothes and into business attire. Spend the day taking with faculty. Return to the hotel for a nap. Then join the faculty for dinner. I am getting too old for this. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

SteveP

Roch, I don't know if you've considered the chiropractic option. I had to go a few times a week at first. Then a couple of times a month. Now it's a couple of times a year.

We’re out of Reindeer Food!!! One of our suppliers was in. He popped the top off vials and ate the goods.

The stuff is for little kids to feed the deer and the guy was eating it! I said, “Dude ( because he’s a dude) you ate glowey $&!t!”.

He panicked and asked if he was going to be OK. I told I didn’t know but we would both find out.

SteveP

mrrun

Roch, I don't know if you've considered the chiropractic option. I had to go a few times a week at first. Then a couple of times a month. Now it's a couple of times a year.

We’re out of Reindeer Food!!! One of our suppliers was in. He popped the top off vials and ate the goods.

The stuff is for little kids to feed the deer and the guy was eating it! I said, “Dude ( because he’s a dude) you ate glowey $&!t!”.

He panicked and asked if he was going to be OK. I told I didn’t know but we would both find out.

Did your supplier arrive on a sled?

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Hi TwoCat, Marj, Steve et al

I, too, have been AWOL and then lurking (or is it "catching up"?)

It's been tough for me to get any traction on my Running Revival Tour of 2019. Just when I get in a good routine... things happen.

When did running/exercising start taking a backseat to the irregular flow of life?

The weekend before Thanksgiving brought Lilmissrosie and her brood.  Her DH tele-worked. She had work at Fort Eustis. And I and the other Baba shared the childcare duty. It worked beautifully. And Ralph and I did manage to run Tuesday and Thursday of that week. I ran 5 miles on Tuesday at an embarrassing pace and needless to say, well behind the group.

On Thanksgiving morning, Ralph and I met Carol at the Warhill Tract at 0545. There is a trail there just shy of 4 miles. They stayed with me the first mile and then said they would run ahead and turnaround to come back for me. Have I mentioned how fat and slow I am these days?

Here comes the road block.  I had a cyst removed from my back on Monday.  Little did I know that running was forbidden for 48 hours. I said, "How about a fast walk?" And the tech said, "No. If your stitches pop open, we don't reclose them and you'd have to tend to an open wound. So no. And no alcohol either."  I said, "No alcohol is easy. But I am disappointed about the no running."

As for Thanksgiving gathering with family... we met at Dear Sister 2's house for dessert.  I broke the rules because I called my brother in law an A$$.  Fortunately, not many folks were around. And he is one. So. Butt. Totally inappropriate for me to do that.

Catching up here:

1. As a teenager, I worked in a nursing home as a kitchen assistant. That is where I learned about the three meals of the day.

Breakfast. Dinner. Supper. (And in college I was a nurses aid and "snack" was served during the 3-11 shift).  I figured the meals were set up like that because Louise was in charge of the kitchen and she was a fabulous cook. Her cornbread and collards were amazing. Anyway. I figured the main meal was served during her shift and she worked 6-2.

2. Growing up, we had a fake tree.   The RS and I were married in 1985. We have had a fresh cut tree every year. We begin Christmas preparation the first Sunday of Advent with candles in the windows and getting the creche out (no baby Jesus yet though!) and the Wise men are far away. They have yet to begin their journey. Next the lights go up outside and decorations in earnest are placed around the house. From Christmas tablecloths and kitchen linens to the Christmas coffee cups and saucers.

Anyway. We keep Christmas up until "Little Christmas" (The feast of the Epiphany)

I love Christmas.

Tet: Backgammon!  I haven't played that in years. Will play Mahjong tomorrow evening though!

Tammy: Great luck with the radio call-in!  I remember trying to win tickets to concerts back in Cleveland  circa 1980!

Starr: Hope things improve. I'm happy you are tending to yourself re: therapy. We get out of that what we put into it... here's hoping your DH invests...

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thanks for the start from the future, Twocat. Sounds like you're having an interesting time, despite the mix-up with your plans yesterday.

Bummer about the reindeer food, Steve...

I hope your back is better, RCG. You sure have been busy!

DW got sick Sunday night from something she ate - we think it was the crushed pecan crust on the sweet potato casserole. It's more like an allergic reaction that keeps her throwing up for about 24 hours. This time it lasted about 22 hours. Last evening she knew she was close to the end, but was still very uncomfortable, with chills and all. Then she threw up one more time, and it was like someone flicked a switch and it was over: The chills were gone, she wanted something to eat for the first time since it started, and nothing remained of the symptoms except exhaustion. It is so strange, and no one has ever been able to figure out exactly why she reacts this way. Fortunately, we know what most of the triggers are, and usually do a good job of avoiding them.

I was supposed to be at a Climate Summit this morning, but we have a grant application due on Friday that is not yet complete, so I have to focus on that instead. This afternoon, I'm having a minor out-patient procedure to remove what is suspected to be a bit of skin cancer so, like RCG, I'll be walking around with a couple of stitches (behind my ear) for a few days.

Twocat, we live here because we love it here, and the weather inconveniences are minor compared to what other parts of the country have to deal with. We, as others have said, love having 4 seasons to enjoy, but that doesn't mean it is all sunshine and roses. The only thing I dislike about snow is that I can't get in a RW workout when the roads are covered, as they have been since Monday, and still are. But that's just a short-term inconvenience. But I did get in 3 miles worth of snowblowing and shoveling cross-training yesterday, so it wasn't a total washout.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Thanks, Twocat.  This is getting confusing!   Love all the pictures, especially tet's finish picture.  Buehrle- good for you for keeping the baby Jesus out of the manger for Advent!

4.1 chilly clear miles.  I have a big work/social event this afternoon and evening.  It's our women's resource group big year end party and panel presentation (2 of our 3 company female board members are doing the panel) and then our steering committee gets to go to dinner with the board members, along with the other female vice presidents.  I'm so disappointed that my employee whose niece was murdered has to miss this.  I really wanted her to be exposed to the board members and them to her.  She is on our steering committee.  I'll tell them about her. Maybe I can ask them to sign a card for her.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

SteveP

Did your supplier arrive on a sled?

He’s going to leave in an ambulance if he pulls that stunt again.

SteveP

Dave59

After moving my mother-in-law and then us, and having my (younger) daughter, son-in-law, and husky around for 18 days, and looking at the amount of work piling up, I believe I was mentally/emotionally drained yesterday. I went out and got some "snacks" and ate all day long. Some stuff I have never bought before (Slim Jims) and stuff I haven't bought in years (Pringles) along with cookies, Reese's Cups, pizza, Cap'n Crunch, and maybe there was more that I don't remember.  I fueled my work day with all of it (and I got a lot done) along with a break to try and clean-up the husky fur around the house. (Have you ever seen how much fur huskies leave behind? You could insulate your house with it.)

Needless to say, I did not feel very good when I woke up this morning, but I forced myself out the door for 4 Devonshire loops (Scott Depot WV).. 3.34 miles with lots of walking mixed in.

It helped. I am starting to feel better physically and mentally.

Older daughter is 33 today. Seems like just yesterday I was 33.

Tramps

Quick recoveries to RCG and Jay.

Steve--that stuff looks like something imported from Chernobyl. Ewwww.

Surly--interesting tree farm story. It must be crowded!

Growing up, we lived in paper mill country with tens of thousands of acres of paper company-owned forest nearby. Come christmastime, everyone just took one of the logging roads and got a tree, gratis. It was part of the local culture, like $1 annual leases for hunting camps. As adults, we've had real trees everywhere we lived, even Boston, New York City, and Richmond.

I'll skip the long story of how I got there but I eventually discovered that if your charity/cause is on Network for Good you can easily donate anonymously. Solicitation/junk mail problem solved.  (And Guidestar has some good info, if you want to learn more about potential recipients.)

34F and beautiful sunrise today. Warm enough for shorts; cool enough for light gloves. IRC. 5 mile run.

ETA: I was glad to find out that we were not the only ones creeped out by that Peloton cycling ad. Yikes.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly S. when it comes to good Mexican food, I suspect that if they toss it into my coffin my cold dead body would find a way to eat it. I hope you manage more than water and a few chips.

But no, I did stick to water and maybe 3 chips - the salsa was hotter than usual and my tummy did not need that. However, I did have a slice of peanut butter toast later in the evening.  And TODAY, I feel absolutely fine - whew!

Tet - funny shoulder stuff from you yesterday.

Steve - will the deer glow in the dark?

Beuhrle - I have grown so slow and out of shape in the last month or two, I probably could not keep up with you...

Christmas Tree - our tradition for the last 20+ years has been to go to a local tree farm on Black Friday and cut down a fresh tree, then sit by the huge fire in their barn and sip hot chocolate.  Unfortunately, our favorite tree farm closed a couple of years ago as the elderly owners retired, but we found another tree farm last year as a substitute.  This year we moved the event because DH and I did not feel that well on Black Friday, and I didn't want to take a chance on spreading germs, but this Saturday we will go out with DS and his GF and DD and her BF to do the annual tree hunt across the fields (choosing the right tree is the hardest/most fun part), then will go to lunch afterward.

Leslie - you would be so proud on how well I have taken your advice to practice things with my left hand in preparation for next week's surgery, including brushing my hair, drinking my coffee, applying mascara and eye liner, etc. left handed.  And yes, the surgeon even brought up the whole bathroom issue.  

The good news is that the surgeon said the recovery from the surgery should be much less painful than the actual accident itself.  However, he is adamant about wearing the sling for 6 weeks.  He does not want my arm hanging down or lifting weights, as gravity and weights will stretch out the stuff (cadaver tendon, I think) that is pulling the bones back together.  Apparently he will be drilling holes through my clavicle and shoulder bone and running a tendon through the holes with a button on each side, then also making a sling of some sort with said cadaver tendon to give extra support.  Given the bone grafting I did for my dental implants, the thought of cadaver material in my body has lost the creepy effect it once had.

3 miles for me on the TM today.

Happy Wednesday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

....HOLY CARP holly/////////.......

apparently

Something Shiny must have caught my attention    (again)

I had no idea this was so involved...........Rest and Heal

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Tramps

Apparently he will be drilling holes through my clavicle and shoulder bone and running a tendon through the holes with a button on each side, then also making a sling of some sort with said cadaver tendon to give extra support. 

Does this mean you'll be able to pitch in the major leagues now?

((Holly))

Be safe. Be kind.

More on trees:

Watching the only 3 channels at my Mom's house, there was a local news piece about the xmas tree shortage of 2019. There was a perfect storm of the legalization of weed in Oregon and a drop in demand for trees about 4-5 years ago. Many of the tree farms converted over to growing weed, and others planted fewer trees. I noticed at our local Home Depot tree lot that there were very few trees when it's normally totally full and a truck waiting to be unloaded (STEVE!).

I don't know about the East Coast, but it looks like the West Coast is having a shortage.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Singer who runs a smidge

I am still working on "believe that everyone has good intentions", and using it to win a battle with my homeowner's insurance company.  I'm not sure it's really true, but it certainly makes me less of a bitch, which makes potential confrontations go much more smoothly, so it serves the purpose.  At this point, my policy is renewed, I have made nobody's day miserable, and I am not a bitch, so it's all good.

Biking done today, skipped the weights through sheer laziness.  Quartet rehearsal tonight!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.