Masters Running

My first Marathon - Detroit! (Read 382 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Goal #1 – Have fun and finish. Goal #2 – Finsh under 5 hours (even 4:59:59 would be fine) Goal #3 – 4:45 I honestly do not even know where to begin. I am still so overwhelmed that I accomplished this, and my emotions are still riding high with all the outpouring of love and support from all of you, my family and my friends. We arrived in Detroit around 3:00 Saturday afternoon, checked into our hotel and walked over to the expo. I was so excited just to get my packet and felt a little better just having that bib number in my hands. I bought a 26.2 sticker for my truck window and a really cute pink New Balance jacket with the Detroit 2008 Marathon logo on it. We then decided we didn’t want to pay $26+ for a pasta dinner at the hotel, so we got into our vehicle, plugged in the GPS and went out in search of an Olive Garden – a meal I know agrees with me before a major run. To make a long story short – we drove around for 1.5 hours just to find ourselves back at the hotel having a very expensive, yet very delicious pasta meal at a restaurant in the hotel. We all went back to our room then and made a plan so MrHopeful and my partner’s sister would know where to cheer us on. (MrHopeful was in 7th heaven with 3 women let me tell ‘ya.) Roll eyes Our bed was so comfortable I thought sure I would sleep like a log – NOT! What little sleep I did get was very restless and full of dreams. Dreams of trying to find the start corrals running aimlessly around the city, etc ….. Finally 4:40 a.m. rolled around and I figured I may just as well get up and start getting ready. I ate a whole wheat bagel with peanut butter , drank a cup of coffee and a bottle of water for a chaser. We left our room a little after 6 a.m. and headed for the lobby to put on our gloves, throw away sweatshirts, etc. when Ashley asks “where is your Garmin?” OH CRAP! I have my monitor on, but left the Garmin up in my room in my bag …. Dream coming true?? …. I sure hope not. Run back to the elevators, up to the 14th floor all the way hoping MrHopeful is not in the shower and will hear my knock on the door. He heard, I grabbed, I got back to the lobby and off we went in search of our corral. On the way to the corral I received a phone call from a fellow RunningAhead buddy wishing me luck and that meant a lot to me too! What a PERFECT day to run a marathon! I have no idea what the temp was – maybe high 40’s with little wind. I ate a package of beans, took an “S” cap and then ditched the sweatshirt before the start. It took us 4 minutes to hit the start mat – but then we were off – running a MARATHON!! They issued the “first timers” green bib numbers to single us out – not that our shirts didn’t already to that (see photo’s below) and it was so kewl having so many runners wish you luck and pat you on the back. Now, I’m not good at remembering all the little markers, what street I’m on and what pace I was at like some of you – so I’ll just hit the highlights. My first goal was to see Doug (Rochrunner) at the water table before the Ambassador Bridge. I was happy to spot him and yell out HI DOUG! Then my focus was on that bridge – than long high incline to reach the top of that bridge!! I said to Ashley, “Oh know! This is much higher and longer than our Grand Haven bridge!” I fretted all the way there – but it really wasn’t that bad, it just was long and I thought we’d never make it to the top – but we did! Smile Then on down and into Canada. Oh wait – the sunrise! The sunrise coming up while going up and over that bridge was just beautiful! Pink sky making the clouds purple – it helped take my mind off the long incline and it was something that Doug had told me to enjoy – I sure did!! Our 3 miles in Canada were pretty uneventful – but it is where Ashley pulled away from me as we were averaging 9:30 – 10 minute miles and I knew I’d crash hard if I kept that up too much longer, so I pulled back and watched the back of her shirt for a while. As we headed into the tunnel it was all downhill and I felt like I was flying and almost was able to catch up to Ashley. It was SO warm in there, but not smelly like I thought it would be. It was fun hearing all the chatting go on, echoing off the walls too. I was looking forward to exiting the tunnel as I knew I’d see my support team on the other side. They were way up along a wall – but I could hear them and that was my fuel until I could see them again. I’m now running alone – I can no longer see the back of Ashley’s shirt. I was happy for her and had been encouraging her all along to run her own race. She is much faster (younger and slimmer too I must add) but she was insistant upon staying with me. I hit mile 13 in about 2:10 which is still pretty good time for me. I was searching for my husband’s red shirt – needing to see that cheering team – my drug of choice. Before I saw them I heard someone else calling my name – acting like she knew me! It took me a moment to realize that it was Deb “dg”. Looking back, I wish I would have stopped to talk to her, as we never did get to meet up at the end. THANK YOU Deb for being there! I then saw my team and handed them my gloves. They said that Ashley wasn’t that far ahead of me, and I was still holding on to a glimmer of hope that she’d wait for me at some point. That was totally selfish of me though – I just missed her. Around mile 15 my feet really began to hurt. I think it was the down hills off the bridge and into the tunnel. I probably should have ran them with more control (but it was so much fun!) and I was starting to pay for it. I was taking an “S” cap every hour (note to self – put them in a plastic bag – not just my little waist pack as they melt in sweat), taking Gatorade at the fluid stations and having my water bottle filled when needed. I was VERY well hydrated – I can assure you. I also ate two more packs of beans and was feeling good the whole time. The run along the riverwalk was so pretty and I loved the bridge over to Belle Island and the sites over there. I was starting to do more run/walk intervals with my feet aching as they were. I was starting to think – this must be what it feels like to loose nails. Sad As I approached mile 20 I dug out my phone and called MrHopeful. I told him to tell Ashley to keep going and get a good time and not to worry about me – I’m doing good. I ran past the 20 mile marker and the wall was gone! (Doug was right!) By mile 21 I was really missing my Husband and needed to see him. The next cheering spot was mile 23 and that is too long in between spots (10 miles). I started getting choked up just thinking of two more miles before I would see them. Finally – I can see the red shirt and I make sure I’m running when I get there. They both came out in the street and started running with me. It startled me at first, but it was a welcome site and much needed. Okay – only 3 miles to go – just a 5K – ha! I heard one gal talking on her phone saying “I hope the crowd gets me in – my lungs are fine, but my legs are shot”. I kind of felt the same way about my poor feet. The crowd was fantastic and very encouraging – many chanting “Mary, Mary, Mary” – “You can do it” – “just around the corner now”. Wow – seeing that finish line – there just is nothing more motivating. I felt like I was sprinting to the end – especially when I saw the clock time and knew I was close to meeting my 2nd goal! Over the mat and bingo – I am a marathon runner!!! Give me that medal! Ashley came running toward me and I started crying a little as we hugged and congratulated each other – simply special. I wrapped up in my foil and we received our goody bags as we headed over to our meeting place – the Hardrock Café for a nice cold beer! Our support team had a blast racing around the city to make sure they were where they were supposed to be. I was happy to hear that they had so much fun and wouldn’t have missed it for the world. On the way home we stopped for another beer and a BIG lunch. I was in bed by 8 last night and slept like a baby. My toes are fine – but my thighs are a bit raw (forgot the body glide tip). Steps I can do – just can’t run up and down them yet! I find that moving a slow pace when first getting into a standing position is best. I cannot thank you all enough for your encouragement, advise and support. If you’ve read all this you deserve a big pat on the back yourself! Will I do another one? You bet!! Because now I have a PR to work off of ….. 4:47:08 Mile 23 .... Heading into Mile 24 .... my number one fan ... back home.... in my office this morning .... Cheers and THANKS again! Big grin

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

evanflein

What a great race! And you did a wonderful job telling about it... how you prepared, how you slept (or didn't), how you felt and what you saw, people you saw along the way... Perfect Race Report! (oops, missing fashion report... oh well, you provided pictures) I love how your husband was out there cheering you on. That's great that he wore a red shirt you could spot along the way. I'm so happy for you and it sounds like you're recovering well. Good job on the toes, too!
        Awesome job, Mary!! Your report is great, and it sounds like you had a great time. Ok, what's on your list for your next marathon?? And how did Ashley do??

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

nowor

High Five Mary. You're w/ the big kids now! Wonderful RR. Your training (in summer no less) really paid off.
            That was such a joy to read!!! Except for the sore feet, it sounds like you conquered your first 26.2 race in fine style. Those final 6 miles are extraordinarily long, aren't they?? I really liked how the first timers are singled out....that is really cool. I was looking at the Detroit course map yesterday just out of curiousity. I think it would be fun to run into Canada twice? You rock, marathoner!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Renee the dog

Simply fantastic!!!!! Way to go! Big grin Big grin Big grin

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

#artbydmcbride

Smile Wooohooooo! Congratulations!!

Runners run

Way to go Mary! You did excellent! Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

DickyG

Wonderful race, wonderful report, wonderful pix...it doesn't get any better than that. Great job, Mary. DickyG
                      Congratulations on your first marathon Mary, you did greta! It is so nice to have your significant other there waiting for you isn't it? And quite special to be able to share so much of it with another running friend too. I really enjoyed your report, now relax and bask in the knowledge that you are a Marathoner!! Oh and start working on the plans to set your new PR. Wink

Marathon Maniac #3309

Great race - Great RR - From a Great Lady.....WTG Mary, YOU ROCK Smile Smile Smile. It's been sooo much fun following you in your journey to run your first Marathon...thanks for allowing us along for the ride. You are very Dear to us at RA...and represented us well Wink. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

TammyinGP

First time Marathon Race Reports are my absolute favorites. Having never done one (yet), I read every word and can only imagine my own feelings if and when I ever run one. What an exciting race for you and what an amazing time Mary!! Sounds like you had ideal running conditions and a great support crew along the course. Congratulations on breaking new ground in your running career!!

Tammy

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Mary, Ive seen you develop over the years at CR and RA into the wonderful runner you are. You have always been Hopeful and now your hopes have come true. This marathon is such a fantastic milestone that came with your hard work and dedication! Congratulations you Marathoner!! I'm so proud of you! Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

The Jogger

Well I'm nearly lost for words. That was absolutely, BRILLIANT, race and report. the pics are cool too. MrHopeful is a great support for you, he must be so proud as we all are. The time was amazing. I couldn't wait to read this report, you are such an inspiration Mary! Well Done Marathoner Mary Smile Roy

Marathon Maniac #957

Mary – that was so thoughtful of Doug to move that wall for you! I wish he would do that for my races, too. Super job on your first marathon!! CONGRATULATIONS, MARATHONER!!!!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."