Masters Running

Western States Saturday - June 29 (Read 44 times)

That's the title you get when a trail runnin' West Coaster starts the thread. 

Joe - Yes, the big water crossing is Rucky Chucky.  It's a raft crossing this year due to the amount of snow melt.  Two years ago it was a raft crossing, as well, and I had an absolute blast working with a guy named Chris on the far side where the runners get out.  I had a whole Disneyland ride shtick going.

Henrun - Love the poem

Walking - I'm a fast walker and it's hard for me to slow down.  It's what saves my bacon in trail races.

Surly - I think I could like your Mrs. Kravitz.  Most of the people on our road are kinda like that, but we live on a quiet road.  If you're driving through, you better live there or be visiting someone, otherwise, you have no reason to be there.  Three years ago, a guy was shot and killed at the end of the road and the murder has yet to be solved.  Everyone kinda turned up their "Kravitz" mode.

Imagine my absolute surprise when I showed at the PF gym at 6:00 . . . and they're not open.  WTH???  Threw my plans completely askew since I was planning on a good workout then heading to work after.  Now I'm at work and will be forcing myself to go to the gym after. I had planned on getting there around 5:30.  Certainly am glad I slept in a bit.  

I'm not a good recap person, especially since it's only 6:30 and I haven't had any coffee yet . . . because I was planning on going to the gym! 

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

...I Dig the title fatozzig.....

well,

my friend

went home yesterday

The Best Thing about Old Friends

is

you Don't Have To Explain Who You Are

===========

...40-min PoolRun/shoes no belt

==========

Claire

is coming for a Visit Today///////

she'll turn 12

so

I made her

HER OWN PAIR OF RACING CRUTCHES

we'll hit the soccerfield tomorrow

(if her MiMi lets us)

might as well

learn how to Cross-Train, right??

............Good Running to Ya.........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Henrun

Thank you for the comments on my poetry.

Rest day today, especially with thunderstorms and lightening all around us. Did a short indoor biking and weights.

Watching the Red Sox and Yankees playing in London this afternoon.

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thanks for the WS start, Fatozzig! I hope you eventually get to the gym.

That'll be a fun gift for Claire, TW.  And true enough about old friends.

Great poem, Henrun! We should keep that at the top of the forum. Sorry about the stormy weather today (might be a good song to cue up).

S. Bill - after watching that video, I was surprised at the amount of aggressive elbowing, and the both leaders didn't get DQ'd. Matola seems to be the one who suffered the most going out of that final turn.

Instead of our normal 5-hr drive to NJ, it took a bit over 7 hours yesterday with all of the traffic caused by people leaving early for the long pre-holiday weekend/week. When I was behind the wheel, I managed to stay relatively calm, but I had my moments. Have I ever told you how much I hate traffic? We got to DW's sister's house by around 8 last night, and found that they had waited for us for dinner, which we had told them not to do. So we were able to relax, finally.

I got out for 7 EZ RW miles at 6 this morning (yeah, I slept in a bit after that long day yesterday) in 73° temps with some steaminess in the air, I toured the neighborhood where we lived 20+ years ago, and was surprised at how many new houses are going onto any available space. I was also surprised at the number of deer that I saw, and that they cared not a whit that a person might be nearby. I guess they are a lot more urbanized here.

Mini family reunion this afternoon in likely 90+° temps. I hope there'll be shade there.

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

Out for 3 this morning. I'm just keeping my legs on notice for the next month by running a few miles here and there, but when August comes around, as long as all my parts are still working, I hope to start trying for a fall half.

My plans to go back to Florida and run a Pensacola half so I can visit the grandkids is falling apart. I may just stay local. The Pensacola Marathon & Half has been renamed to the "Pensacola Women's Half Marathon Weekend" sponsored by Publix (the big grocery chain down there.) Men are welcome to run the website says, but it looks like the whole weekend is turned into some big shindig and I am not interested. Plus Cindy has a women's retreat that weekend and wouldn't be going.

So, I'll run local and save the driving and visit for another time.

Or maybe I'll browse the web for half marathons in the fall that sound interesting. But staying here is enjoyable. Just get up and drive 7 miles to Marshall University and run.

I love the poem, too, Henry!    I am not a fast walker.  I have a friend from work (well, she left) and when we would go out to lunch together I practically had to trot to keep up with her walking to the car.

8.2 miles on the nice path.  I did NOT want to go.  It has been a tiring week.  I didn't get started until after 7 and it was warm and humid.  I had a lot of shade, but not entirely.  Heart rate got too high and I tried my best to keep it slow with HR lower. The heat and humidity makes that tough.  It's done, though.   Might go over to the pool later.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Imagine my absolute surprise when I showed at the PF gym at 6:00 . . . and they're not open.  WTH???  Threw my plans completely askew since I was planning on a good workout then heading to work after.  Now I'm at work and will be forcing myself to go to the gym after. I had planned on getting there around 5:30.  Certainly am glad I slept in a bit.  

Leslie, our PF is open 24/7 (or at least used to be). There's even a guy I know by sight who sort of lived there, catching Zs in the mens' locker room and availing himself of the bagel morning and pizza day...

Another muggy morning. I had intended to run, but my back was acting up this morning and I decided to play it safe (finally making mature decisions after all these years!). So I met some friends for a 4+ mile walk, ending up almost as sweaty as if I had run.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

anneb

Thanks for the start Leslie! WS Saturday… I like that Smile I hope you eventually got to the gym.

6.7 for me this morning, which turned into a run/walk after about 4 miles. I started too late (8:00), the h+h is not my friend and I cut my route short. I’ll likely have the same amount of time tomorrow, so we’ll see if I get in a better 90 minute run then. It should be a bit cooler.

I thought of Joe when I hit 5 miles just under an hour… normally I wouldn’t be ok with that but it seemed good enough for me today.

Have a great Saturday.

Anne

Leslie, our PF is open 24/7 (or at least used to be). There's even a guy I know by sight who sort of lived there, catching Zs in the mens' locker room and availing himself of the bagel morning and pizza day...

Come to find out, they're only open 24/7 Monday starting at 5:00 a.m. to Friday night at 9:00 p.m..  Weekends 7:00 - 8:00.  So much for 24 hour fitness!

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Good morning Masters!!

10.2 muggy Maine miles for me!! Kept the pace slower and did some hill work on the streets that lead from the shore road up to the Main Street - I clearly need to work on hills more often!!

Make it a great day!!

denise

Tramps

Warm and muggy here too. Went out for a little 2.5 mile walk at a brisk pace. Felt fine except for the humidity. Whew.

Speaking of heat...anybody have a cast iron wood stove? Have you ever used "polish" on it? Our well-used stove sits right in our living room, is about 13 years old now, and is starting to show a little age, with a couple of small rust spots and some general fading. Trying to decide how to spruce it up a bit but the online discussions seem pretty divided (Polish! No, paint! No, don't do either! etc.) I don't want to paint; I will brush out the rust spots; and am trying to decide whether not to polish. Curious if anyone has experience with this. (Carolyn?)

Enjoy the weekend.

Be safe. Be kind.

Dave59

Come to find out, they're only open 24/7 Monday starting at 5:00 a.m. to Friday night at 9:00 p.m..  Weekends 7:00 - 8:00.  So much for 24 hour fitness!

You're confusing Planet Fitness with Snap Fitness which advertises that it is open 24 hours all the time. Planet Fitness can vary by location. Our Planet Fitness is open 24 hours on Monday - Thursday, 12:00 AM to 10:00 PM on Friday, and 7AM - 7PM on Saturday and Sunday. I showed up once at 7:00 AM on Saturday and was happy that even though I forgot they weren't open 24 hours on Saturday, I accidentally showed up at opening time.

I am a slow walker but I live in a group of condos where most people are 15-20 years older than me and I walk faster than them. 

Since I struggled to concentrate yesterday I signed on to work today to make up for it. When I am not under a deadline I enjoy working on Saturday. No calls, no meetings, no emails, and no instant messages so I get to just work. I'm working on a problem that is in a program a guy wrote in 2002. He's been retired for 11 years. It is always interesting when something goes wrong in a program that has been ok for that many years. I have been able to recreate the reported problem so now I know what to fix.

Now I can't decide whether to fix it, or take a break and head to the condo pool with a book.  Take a dip and then do some reading while the water evaporates off me, then repeat.

dnaff

Henry, thanks for sharing your poem.  And Surly, I enjoyed the video - lots going on there for sure.  Almost like an NBA style arm throw.

Like most of you, I tried to get out a little earlier today to avoid the heat and humidity.  Many runners with the same idea and I saw a couple new faces on my route.  There is a speedboat race on the river this weekend and I detoured along there while they were setting up.  From the looks of what I saw being unloaded there is going to be some serious noise!  They always have a good turnout for this event.

So I managed 4.5 and then grabbed the dog when I circled by the house and took her for the last 1/2 mile to make it an even 5.  Too much H and H for a snow dog, heck too much of it for me too!

mrrun

after the thunder boomers & lightning left, went for a 5 mile walk for 3 women friends - one was slightly slower then 3 of us, but it worked out fine.  it's amazing how time flies when you're yakking.

we're driving to NY area (Long Island) on Monday and hopefully won't hit Jay's traffic

stay cool

marj

Joe618

Morning all!!   Wow, lots of good stuff already this morning...good on all of you.

Great start, Leslie!  Have been watching the progress so far...very cool.   Loved the name alone "Rucky Chucky" and can only imagine what a relief you must have been in the middle of the night for some of those runners to got to that crossing and found the Disney type ride across.   So cool.   Hope you get in one of these years, truly.

I got out for six miles early this morning and must be feeling better as it took me the same time to run six today as it did five a couple days ago.   I recall this happens every summer when the humidity hits...it takes a while to adjust and learn how to handle it and keep going.

While no squirrel dive bombed me today, I did have an interesting nature sighting at the opposite end of the speed curve.   This mama box turtle had dug a nesting place right next to the running path and was backed into it, laying eggs.   She didn't budge but kept her eye on me.   I didn't touch and tried not to startle her too much but the photo op was there.   I put my 10oz water bottle (with duct tape hand held thingie) next to her for scale.   Hope the eggs make it.   A well-sheltered pond is only about 50m from this spot but it seemed a very public place to dig a nest.

I think stuff like this is cool.

S. Bill - after watching that video, I was surprised at the amount of aggressive elbowing, and the both leaders didn't get DQ'd. Matola seems to be the one who suffered the most going out of that final turn.

Instead of our normal 5-hr drive to NJ, it took a bit over 7 hours yesterday with all of the traffic caused by people leaving early for the long pre-holiday weekend/week. When I was behind the wheel, I managed to stay relatively calm, but I had my moments. Have I ever told you how much I hate traffic? We got to DW's sister's house by around 8 last night, and found that they had waited for us for dinner, which we had told them not to do. So we were able to relax, finally.

SurlyBill, I too enjoyed that video, thanks for identifying yourself!   I agree with Jay...both runners seemed to knock each other and totally blew out the young Matola.   A non-contact sport??   I guess not.   Thanks a ton for finding a posting the link.

Glad you made it safely, Jay...decompress after all that traffic.

Rock your Saturday, folks!!

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.