Masters Running

5k advice (Read 581 times)

OK, Ive run 10 marathons, but never a 5k. Ive been easing back into running the last couple of months, and feel real strong on my short training runs. I've decided to run a 5k on Saturday morning. But I have no idea how to race it. Should I just go all-out and try to hang on? My easy 4 mile runs have been coming in at about 9:45 - 9:55 mm lately. Any thoughts on what kind of pace I should start out at?

If the run follows how I think it does, the first mile will be pretty flat, the next mile hilly--downhill going out, uphill coming back, and the third mile flat. I have an email in to the RD to confirm the route is what I think it is.

..Im assuming it will go on the trail that is for runners only, and not to the hilly road with the bike lane.

Beginner all over again

OK, Ive run 10 marathons, but never a 5k. Ive been easing back into running the last couple of months, and feel real strong on my short training runs. I've decided to run a 5k on Saturday morning. But I have no idea how to race it. Should I just go all-out and try to hang on? My easy 4 mile runs have been coming in at about 9:45 - 9:55 mm lately. Any thoughts on what kind of pace I should start out at?

If the run follows how I think it does, the first mile will be pretty flat, the next mile hilly--downhill going out, uphill coming back, and the third mile flat. I have an email in to the RD to confirm the route is what I think it is.

..Im assuming it will go on the trail that is for runners only, and not to the hilly road with the bike lane.

This might be useful. Have you tried this  "Pace Wizard" ?

As for what you "should" do pace wise, that kind of all depends on your goals. 

TammyinGP

since you are used to running distance, then I would recommend running 2  miles as your warm-up and time it so you only have a few minutes of down-time before the start of the 5K. If you are wanting to race your 5K and really get an idea of how fast you are capable of running that distance, then you need to be adequately warmed up and ready to start the race at your goal pace, which for alot of runners it might take a few miles before you can settle into your fast pace w/o feeling like you are sucking wind.

Tammy

evanflein

Glad you're doing this, Murph. The rule of not going out too fast holds for the 5k also, but just in a more condensed format. But once you hit your stride you need to get going, and try to have a kick at the end. I think 5k's are hard to run well, actually. I'm still trying to figure it out, but will try again soon.

King of PhotoShop

My own experience with the fiveK is that it takes 3-4 of them over a couple of months to nail down your best time and to develop your anaerobic capacity.  The marathon stretches your aerobic base, but you will grow as a runner with these 5K efforts and I applaud you trying one out.  They are much harder to do than the marathon, and require patience, planning and practice.

So if your average easy run is around 9:45's, and you have run 10 marathons, my guess is that you will run your first fiveK at sub-8 pace and for the fun of it, I am going to give you a goal, to run the fiveK at 7:55 a mile, just for this first one.

Listen to what Tammy said about your warm-up.  You could even run more to warm up, but time it to finish ten minutes before the gun, get a drink and go to the start.

Run the first mile conservatively!  Stay behind the elite people at the front, but don't go all the way to the back either.  Top 20% of the runners will be about right.  Don't get tempted to burst out with the little kids and inexperienced people.  Just run the first mile a bit faster than your daily easy run.  You will be very surprised to see how fast it is.  After mile one, you are no longer in control, so just try to run as well as you can.  Set a goal of breaking 24 minutes.

Accept that this may be WAY OFF, but I promise you your second and third fiveK's will be terrific in terms of improvement and what you learned.  Let us know how you do and good luck.  Spareribs

TammyinGP

Ribs is right (he's so used to hearing that though that I hesitate to say it too often) that it'll take a few 5K's to really get this distance down and know what you should  and shouldn't do. Your first 5K will be more like an experiment. but when you start really pouring it on for that last 1/2 mile, you should be pushing yourself to puke threshold. If you've crossed the finish line and don't feel like you could puke, then the next time you race one of these, you'll know to give it even more.

Tammy

MoBramExam

I've been easing back into running the last couple of months, and feel real strong on my short training runs. I've decided to run a 5k on Saturday morning. But I have no idea how to race it. My easy 4 mile runs have been coming in at about 9:45 - 9:55 mm lately. Any thoughts on what kind of pace I should start out at?

Since your last HM, you've done mostly easy runs with a tempo and a couple of long runs at 10:00 m/m.  You're not ready to "race" this distance much faster than you are running your training runs, so going all-out and trying to hang on will result in an express trip to LT and a B-A-D first time experience.

Relax and have a good time.  Don't worry about pace and first mile splits, etc.  Go out like you were going to do a 4-mile training run.  If you're still feeling strong after a mile or two, bump it up.  Let this race give you a base-line 5K time, and if you think you would enjoy racing this distance, use this effort / time as a guide to what effort you will want to train at to improve in future races.

Good Luck!

TammyinGP

changed my mind about my reply

carry on.

Tammy

Spareribs:  A 5K is harder than a marathon???

Thanks for all the advice..

Ribs, I was thinking about 8 mm in the back of my head. I ran an untrained 10k a couple years back at 8:37 pace. Im lighter and in much better shape now--so that goal seems reasonable.

Tammy, I think I will warm up. Its been awhile since I ran for real distance, so I may not go 2 miles, but I do agree I need to be warmed up.

MoBram, I have run a couple training runs just over the 9 mm range, I will look for a first mile at about 8:30 and adjust from there.

Erika--yeah Im looking forward to it. It will be a nice change of pace--and I think I may have some potential at these shorter distances.

Dave59

I think the 5k is easier.  It does take a few to learn how fast to start out.  Then time it so you don't have to puke until after you cross the finish line.  I was a notorious slow starter in high school.  After a meet, my coach would ask me if I was saving my energy for the run back to the bus.     Some things never change.

I hope you like the 5k Murphy.  I really "enjoy" them (in a sick kind of way.)  They don't leave me wasted for a week or two like a marathon or half-marathon.  One year here in Michigan I ran a bunch as a way to see the state (Dairy Fest, Sugar Fest, Corn Fest, etc.) 

A 5k is harder than a longer race to get the pacing right is probably what Spareribs meant.

I did my first 5k this year, and while the first and second mile felt hard, I knew I left a lot out on the course, as I was able to kick for at least a half mile, and put on 15-20 seconds on the guys I was running with until that point.  

Last year I did my first 5K in April in about 25:30, and by September got it down to 24:18.   This year my first was 24:19 and hope to at least get under 23 by fall.  So yes it does take a few tries to get the 5K right.

Slo

If your racing them it can be.........but I'd say it's all relative.......A marathon is hard even if you run it well below your capacity but racing a 5k hurts......and to try and trim 2nds from your PR requires you to train as hard as you would for a marathon.

Like Ribs said.....it takse a few to dial them in. I like to find that edge of puke and ride that in for that last mile......I also like a good race at the end.....check out this link from the swamp.....now here's a race !

the look of pain

Marathon Maniac #957

Then time it so you don't have to puke until after you cross the finish line. 

Ah, the joys of running.....

and yet I know exactly what you mean...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I understand what SpareRibs meant. I almost puked during the 10k that I mentioned. Marathons are a different kind of hard..more mental than anything (given a minimum amount of training which Ive lacked), I think the shorter races are more physically demanding.

I've heard back from the director. Hope to see her tonight when I drop off my registration to get a better feel for the course. From her last email, I think it loops through the subdivision near the trail and hits the trail only on the way back. Should still be fairly flat but may hit one decent hill at about the half way point.

I ran about 3-1/2 miles today in 33 minutes. No watch on, so not sure of the exact distance.  It was a newish route.