Masters Running

Wednesday 1/30/19 (Read 43 times)

SteveP

RunnerKSA gets 3.1 on the treadmill on the homefront in the AM. An additional 2.1 on the flip side.

Joe618 tacos up for an easy 4 on the treadmill.

Tramps has a balmy 10K. Tri-Bee's adventure sounds serene. I dated a woman that would hollow out snow banks an hunker down for the night.

Coastwalker hits the road at j O'Clock for 5.4 RW miles.

Dave59 is giving his back a break. Heal up bud.

Henrun knocks out 2 in mild temps. "Stan and Ollie" seems like something I'd like. Then he knocks out another 2.

Tetsujin209 checks in. I don't mind shoveling except, that would be all the activity for the day.

Tom White gets an hour of cycle power.

Rochrunner hits the gym. The weather forecast on the Mitten is a carp shoot with the Greta Lakes. Tree poaching is lucrative.

Biogut checks in. I cannot fathom a classroom today. I've told our kids and grandkids that the practices and processes are in place to prepare them for the world outside the classroom. They are always going to have homework.

AnneB hits the mill? She's getting a little dose of cabin fever.

Deez4boyz has a gentle 2.2. Her DS is recovering from surgery.

Fatozzig graces us with her cheeky self.

Evanflein works the treadmill for 5.2

Surly Bill doubles up on a set of 5Ks.

MikeE works the weights.

TwoCat has 45 minutes on the bike and his PT has him hitting it hard core!

Wildchild hits it for 10 miles without having a screw loose!!

StarrRuns makes it back from warmer climates! Good to see you.

Falconfixer gets 5 after work.

Mariposai gets in a pleasant 6 miles in.

Quickadder pumps out 9.5 miles.

I got 4 treadmill miles in the AM and 3.3 in the PM.  One of our suppliers called to make an appointment for an unload. I answered the phone in the persona of "Sister Mary Margaret from Church of the Living Room." The dude hung up....then called back. I chewed him out for hanging up on a nun. He said he thought he accidently dialed a phone sex line.

The same parents who are letting their kids slack in school are raising a messed up generation of employees. We're getting people who want a participation award for showing up to work. This is the 3rd consecutive day classes have been canceled. Two of our fellas takes the day off to watch their sons. I told one guy that his wife can take a turn once in a while as well. The other guy's son is a normal 17 year old.

SteveP

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thanks for the recap/start, Steve. Nice phone work. We have a grandmother in our office who is babying her GS to the point I wonder if he'll be able to do anything on his own. He's in middle school, the school is just down the block, and she walks/drives him to school every day.

Deez, I'm glad Justin's surgery went well, and that the docs are sensitive to the risks with pain killers. I hope your knee is doing better today.

Good video Roch. Sorry to learn about the jerks in JTNP.

Great news, Leslie, even if you have a long road ahead of you. Having that light at the end of the tunnel makes a huge difference, doesn't it?

Welcome back, Starr - sounds like a great and productive trip.

Good luck with the drastic measures today, Falconfixer.

Be smart and safe, everyone who is getting vortexed.

I wimped out this morning - there was some snow on the roads, and I could hear ice pellets on the windows when I got up. I know I'm a wus, but I have that cranky ankle and just didn't want to do any more damage. I have nothing on the horizon, except Sunday's 10-mile race, so skipping a day is OK. The only streaks I've had were on our windows...

Have a greta Wednesday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Thanks, Steve.  That's hilarious about the phone line!   I can't believe (well, maybe I can) that someone stayed home from work to watch a 17 year old!  No parties in that house!

Snowing outside and I'm debating whether I want to play bumper cars and try to get to work.  One of my employees got there and asked to go home, which is fine.  She said it was getting bad.  We just don't have the infrastructure to take care of the slippery roads.

3.5 treadmill miles with some "faster" running in the last mile, which sort of felt good.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Tramps

.Biogut checks in.

Probiotic? 

Steve--thanks for the start again.  Snow caves are toasty.

The TriBee tale was not so much scary--she's a safe hiker and this wasn't an especially tough hike--just inconvenient. The lesson learned was to carry more wire, etc. to fix riggings that unexpectedly break (and get better snowshoes).

Carolyn--cool that you've been there. It's a popular hut because it's so close to the road; a good base to leave for longer hikes.

At the risk of sounding like the old man that I am...I'm often surprised by what appears to be over-coddling of kids, too. For example, several houses on our road have long 100-yard+ dirt driveways/easements. Parents drive to the road and park so their kids can wait in the car for the bus to pick them up in the morning and will go back for them at the end of the driveway in the afternoon to pick them up. Not just on cold days; every day. And, no, we haven't had a rash of child predators around here. And these kids are not preschoolers. I'd estimate they range from 10 to 15 years old. 

Fortunately, they're never on my lawn.

Erika--I loved the picture and, especially, the cold running pages.  Puts things in perspective.  One of my favorite lines was, "The good news with winter running is that you’re far less likely than summer to encounter a bear, since they are hopefully snoozing away in a den somewhere." That is glass-half-full thinking. 

Having said that, I totally get the danger of anne's nasty commute and KSA's treacherous roads. Be safe.

Beautiful day here. Mid-20s with only modest winds, so it was comfortable out for my little 5K run.  Colder temps and stronger winds due later though.

ETA: I found a politician for Mike

Be safe. Be kind.

The same parents who are letting their kids slack in school are raising a messed up generation of employees. We're getting people who want a participation award for showing up to work. This is the 3rd consecutive day classes have been canceled. Two of our fellas takes the day off to watch their sons. I told one guy that his wife can take a turn once in a while as well. The other guy's son is a normal 17 year old.

I know it's a different era, but kids should be fine alone at home after at least 12 years old! This new era of helicopter parenting is going to create some very damaged adults. BUT, silver lining, the kids who didn't have helicopter parenting are going to be far more successful in most aspects of life than their peers in comparison. It's so strange that people are now considered 'bad parents" if their kids walk 5 blocks home from school by themselves, instead of being driven or an Uber set to get them. There was that family that had CPS called on them by other parents because their kid walked home from school!

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

evanflein

Tramps, the other good thing about winter running is the mosquitoes aren't a problem!! Big grin

As for kids, yeah it's pretty amazing what goes on now. And it seems many kids don't know how to play. I find that really sad. We have ads on TV reminding kids to play every day, outside if possible. Really? I remember my mom asking if I'd be home for dinner. She rarely knew where I was, and I was on a pony.

My kids had to walk about a quarter mile to the bus if they took the shortcut down the powerline, but sometimes that was too snowy if the trail wasn't packed down. Taking the road was about .5 mile. The big problem was moose encounters. So yeah, every now and then they'd come back asking for a ride cuz there was a moose in the driveway or trail. And yes, I'd drive them if it was really cold. But for the most part, they walked.

So the weather forecasts for today say a high of 4° or a high of 13° depending on what you look at. I'm hoping my phone is right (the higher one) and will take my outdoor running stuff. It's supposed to be bright and sunny today, so hoping some plows have been out. If not, there's always the treadmill backup.

Really? I remember my mom asking if I'd be home for dinner. She rarely knew where I was, and I was on a pony.

Same here, but on my bicycle.

That video I posted yesterday has gone full viral and was featured on the front page of CNN.

It sure does look nice outside with the clear sky and sunshine on the recent snow. But one step out the door will change one's mind about doing any sort of outside activity...

Hid out from the sub-zero cold outside riding the trainer in the basement for an hour at a 13.5mph average for 13.5 miles covered (I think that calculation works out).

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

bioguy

To all of the Masters...

There are some real slack, disrespectful students in my school. There are some that cheat on assignments, sleep in class, lie, and are destined to be horrifically unprepared for adulthood. I see the names of many in the local paper's police blotter or courthouse calendar.

The parents today are unreal. They want 2nd, 3rd, and 4th chances for their child. Many show zero interest in their child's education, but whoa, if the child is accused of a misdeed, the wrath of hell befalls the teacher. Then again sometimes they go directly over my head and call the superintendent, school board, or principal without ever contacting me. There's a Facebook group of "supportive" parents who mostly go online to talk about how terrible we are.

Now- rant over. Aristotle once wrote that  "this younger generation has no thirst for knowledge." Every generation seems to think today's youth are slackers.

I have teh most wonderful group of students you could ever hope to meet. Public school, low socio-economic status, and many parents who never went o college. Hard working kids both in and out of the classroom. We meet voluntarily for extra time on Saturdays or Friday nights. In the past few years I have five recent grads in med school, 4 in vet school, one in pharmacy, and I don't know how many just being sucessful in higher ed. This is from a geographically isolated economically depressed area.

If I didn't deal with parents and administrators, I'd be in heaven!

Mike E

MM #5615

The only streaks I've had were on our windows...

I’ve had a few on my tighty whities...

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I’ve had a few on my tighty whities...

subtle, Mike.    Did this involve flying?

Maggie and I made a lake loop last night, but too close to bedtime to make it into the summary.  Bummer.  But it was just about 32° and a little bit of snow in the air.  Very pleasant with little wind for the most part.

You wouldn't know that this is the Master's forum would you?   Never remember it getting terribly cold in Rochester (NY), but it did snow a bit.  It had to be PRETTY extreme to cause a snow day.  We did get a week off during the Blizzard of '66, but that was about the only one I remember.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

..ever notice

how much LONGER it takes to shake off an injury now??......

not needing the two Back Braces

and

can sit upright without that shooting pain in the beltline area

since

I've seen this trick before,

gonna give it another 24-hours before I start training again

===========

40-min x-bike

.........ps...........

that reminds me of an old Runners World Line-

a bystander

asked a Runner what he was training for

the Answer was

''The Rest of The Day''

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Cross training with shoveling - 1.2 mile walk - again did a little jogging and think I feel improvement

Justin's doing well so far, tonight might be a little tougher as the tap block starts to wear off

denise

Joe618

To all of the Masters...

There are some real slack, disrespectful students in my school. There are some that cheat on assignments, sleep in class, lie, and are destined to be horrifically unprepared for adulthood. I see the names of many in the local paper's police blotter or courthouse calendar.

The parents today are unreal. They want 2nd, 3rd, and 4th chances for their child. Many show zero interest in their child's education, but whoa, if the child is accused of a misdeed, the wrath of hell befalls the teacher. Then again sometimes they go directly over my head and call the superintendent, school board, or principal without ever contacting me. There's a Facebook group of "supportive" parents who mostly go online to talk about how terrible we are.

Now- rant over. Aristotle once wrote that  "this younger generation has no thirst for knowledge." Every generation seems to think today's youth are slackers.

I have teh most wonderful group of students you could ever hope to meet. Public school, low socio-economic status, and many parents who never went o college. Hard working kids both in and out of the classroom. We meet voluntarily for extra time on Saturdays or Friday nights. In the past few years I have five recent grads in med school, 4 in vet school, one in pharmacy, and I don't know how many just being sucessful in higher ed. This is from a geographically isolated economically depressed area.

If I didn't deal with parents and administrators, I'd be in heaven!

Good on you, Bio.    Both these populations are simultaneously present.    It takes insight, coupled with both reflection and clear action, to deal well with both.   Well summarized...and congrats on these kids who are achieving.   They will look back on you and be grateful, even if they never tell you personally.

Scheduled rest day here and that is fortuitous.  It's 1:30pm and the temp is -9F, with -34F wind chill.   Glorious sun to look at through the window with ice on the frame.    AND, looking ahead, I'll have both long runs this weekend outdoors in shorts!!   Thermal whiplash.

Rock it, folks.   Helicopter parents or no...

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

mrrun

fortunately our GK's are young and are still listening to the teachers.  however, they do ride the bus or get rides to school (too far too walk).  last summer i biked with GD2 to the library and she realized how close it was and how close her friend lived. (< 2 miles)

yesterday on my walk, i saw an egret on the street - no wild turkeys or canadian geese, a nice change.  today is basically a rest day as henry is doing a long run tomorrow.  however we did go to the beach and my feet froze in the water while henrun took a picture.  then went to a local coffee shop where they had "amazing coffee" with "an outstanding price".  it is good, not sure we'll be back!

stay warm anyone in the vortex and ((ouchies))

steve - thanks again for a great recap

marj

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks.

I admit to driving DD to school once she got to HS because the route had been changed, and the bus came to our stop (located on the other side of the block behind us) at 6:19am - which is pretty darn early for a teenage girl to still do her morning "beautification."  School didn't actually start until 7:15, so we must have been at the beginning of the route.

Schools are closed today because of the cold, and tomorrow they may be closed as well, or at least a 2-hour delay.  Then warmer temps coming in for the weekend.

No run for me, today or yesterday, just trying to let this crud settle down a bit.  With it this cold, even the garage TM is a cold run, but I will try it tomorrow, if the coughing fits settle down.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."