Masters Running

40's + on the run wk b/w Easter Sun (Read 459 times)

flatland mountaineer

Happy Easter 9 miles yesterday in the rain and I didn't melt, Shockedmust not be that sweet. Wink had to stop and find a snowbank to scrape my shoes in once so I wasn't dragging half of Perkins County in the form of mud with me. Sped up a min/mi when I hit the pavement in town. better get back at it, have a good week

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Well, son of a gun! I actually started a thread yesterday - what the heck happened to it? My computer was freaking out on me all day yesterday, so . . . . FJ - Funny bunny pic! And amazing what happens when you knock a pound or two of crud from your shoes, huh? BTW - Even though you didn't melt in the snow, we think you're sweet . . . . most of the time. Big grin Having real problems with my right AT, so I didn't run yesterday (even though I was suppose to do 8 trail miles), and today is my off day. Coach Bill looked some stuff up on the 'net and thinks I might be having tight calf issues, so he's suggesting heat and massage when I'm not doing anything, as well as going to the doc if I think it's necessary. So yesterday I started massaging right calf and holy moly! Talk about sore and knots! Cripes! I'm going to revert to my foam roller tonight and am going to try to keep the wimpering at a minimum. Had dinner with my Pops yesterday, and he has a "date" tonight for his bday and a lady friend's bday. Says not to be thinking there's anything else there besides two friends having dinner together 'cause they share the same bday, but a daughter can hope can't she? {sigh} Anyway, I gave him a few restaurants to check out and make sure they're open on Monday. Have a great week, Peeps!

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

jfa

Hi Folks- Funny pic Jim , that bunny musta laughed his ass off! Way to trudge through the muck. Leslie- hope the AT feels better.My right one has been tender for a while.I read that if you quit running on it after a while it shortens? Nailed my last long run yesterday. Embraced it all with 35* ,25mph winds and a crystal clear cerulean (where's Cindy been?) blue sky. 21.5m @ 9:35 per. Celebrated getting through the heavy lifting of this training period with a couple of ice cold Becks. mmmmmmm.... Smile

flatland mountaineer

As for AT issues some random bits of info picked up from my PT, Mtn Chk, JB and Run store owner PT. Stretch gastroc and soleus, but not alot of bloodflow (also reason it takes a long time to get over) so massage can be as effective as anything. I have some heel lifts in some of my shoes. If you can feel any bumps in your Achilles tendon have someone really work on them. For me it was the shoes that started it last summer. Really wide wedge heels with a very stiff medial post on the Adrenalines so heel strike on the outside so what happened the wide heel would contact the ground on the outside and torque my foot inward then come to a violent stop as I hit the medial post. Hard to describe but its easy to see on gait analy treadmill. Not saying that is causing anyone else's at probs just my experience for what its worth. Currently I am rotating 3 pairs of different shoes with slightly different stability and staying away from anything with a really wide heel.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Thanks for the info, Jim. I think this all started with wearing my last pair of shoes too long. I am rotating 2 new pair (got them a couple of months ago), but the damage had been done. I was very surprised at the knots, etc., in my calf and will work diligently on heat and massage. I know there's inflammation after running for a length of time 'cause I can "feel" it spread to the bottom of my foot and up into the calf area. In the foot, sort of feels like something's trying to cut off the circulation. One positive thing - every problem I've had (with the exception of the hip flexor) has been on the right side, so at least that's consistent. Smile

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Jim, thanks for the funny, bunny start! Nice 9 in the rain. Sounds ccccooold! Leslie, good luck w/ the AT. Sounds like you're getting some good advice. And best wishes for your dad's "date". I'm sure it's good to see him being sociable. Joe, awesome last LR. You're going to knock your marathon outta the park, I'm already anxious to read your race report. Quick 3 milear at lunch...got quicker after I saw a teen boy with a rifle in the park. Looked real, full size, etc. Asked another runner who saw him what she thought, and apparently there was some sort of orange doo-dad on it that signals it's a pellet gun. Whew! Meanwhile, back to debits and credits. Have fun out there Smile
              Progress Trumps Pefection
                Nailed my last long run yesterday. Embraced it all with 35* ,25mph winds and a crystal clear cerulean (where's Cindy been?) blue sky. 21.5m @ 9:35 per. Celebrated getting through the heavy lifting of this training period with a couple of ice cold Becks. mmmmmmm.... Smile
                Veeeery nice, indeed. Cool Carol - The kid with the rifle in the park - is it just me or does that sound like a stupid thing to do, regardless of the fact it was a pellet gun? And what's he doing with it in the park? Shooting birds? Evil grin

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Awww.....cute bunnies and way to go on the 9 miler Jim expecially through the mud! Leslie, hope you get that AT stuff straightened out soon. That hurts I'm sure. Viewed some of your pics from last weeks thread. Really, really pretty. My computer went into shock when it tried downloading all of them. Will peak through some more of them today or tomorrow. Nice trail run Sat by the way. Way to go Joe on finishing up that last "big one" in the cold and wind. You are going to do great. Super nice pace...... Hey there Carol, way to sneak in a 3 miler during lunch. Yep, that would scare me a bit as well. Pellet gun or not! Later folks..... Jewels
                  But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
                    Hey 40s+ Nice 9 miler in the rain Jim....The mud would have probably definately deterred me. You da man! Leslie....my AT will talk gently to me sometimes....especially after long run. Massage and ice are what works best for me. I've been able to satisfy it's hunger so for now it's just another one of those niggly things. Hope you get your's under control. Joe....35F and 25 winds....now that's a RAW day. 21 miles in that does wonders for your mental toughness. Not that you need any more of that. Rest and relax into your taper weeks. You've got your body into marathon shape, now it's time to work on your mind. Carol....any races in the future? Hey Jewels.... Smile
                    Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

flatland mountaineer

Easy 1.6 as a recovery run last nite in shorts and tee. Smile I was pretty sore so felt pretty good to get the blood circulating. Joe great job, you aced your last LR, you'll do great on your marathon. It 's gotta help the ol confidence when you finish the high mileage training with a run like that. Carol that had to be a bit unnerving, think I woulda still turned it in. Getting close to party time, 'spose a few extensions to tie up after the 15th? Leslie I still need to look at them down under pics! HI to Jewels and Ev. We have been locked out of the field for 11 days due to wet soils and damp residue, hopefully get in today before rains come in again thursday. Hopefully it will go today, so we can stay on schedule. Winds to 31 today will help Lynda's project but will probably keep my sprayer parked. The good side of the delay has allowed me to get some equipment problems fixed.

Mornin', folks - Just one of the little buggers we saw. They are so dang cute! We even say a baby, a "joey," in its momma's pouch, but couldn't get close enough for a pic. Since my AT's messed up, no hill work for me between now and my run on May 10, except for the trails. So it was just a nice 5.15-mile run this a.m. at a 9:24 ap. It felt good to run with no objective (well, except to build back up my stamina). Did the heat and massage thing last night to my calf, and iced while eating this a.m. after my run. Hope it all works out. FJ- Nice little recovery run, but with all the mud, I bet you could actually knock that up to 2 miles just from the extra exertion. Smile

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Nice pic Leslie! I have to admit that some people still call me Joey Blush I actually like it. It makes me feel young! Perusing your pics a bit and have to say that looks like a great trip. Here's some questions for ya: Was it hot? It's summer now right? Were the people real friendly? Did you see any native Australians? Many sailboats in Sydney Harbor? Good job Jim making the most of your muddy mess. I like your new avatar and at least you don't have to commute that far to work! How's the taper going for you Ev? Coming down to a couple of weeks for you. How are you feeling? Carol- Hope you're not buried in paperwork on what must be the worse day of the year for you tomorrow! File a bunch of extensions and go out to the park! Hopefully Clint Eastwood Jr will be somewhere else! Jewels- how's the knee? Are you on spring break? Is spring break all over Florida now? Hi to everyone that's MIA Thanks for the pats on the back from you guys, it's a great motivator for me! Little bit of a scare here today when our two boys got into a car accident.Some knucklehead in a van pulled a left turn directly in front of them while they were going straight through a four way intersection.Son's car was going about 40mph and had no time to react ,especially since it was raining.Son #2 / 17yo was giving son# 1 /24yo a ride to the auto parts store for a distributor cap. Fortunately no one was hurt. All indications are it was the other guy's fault. Thank Goodness we bought him a beefy car (1996 Buick Rivera) as his first and the airbags did their job. Oh well , a few more gray hairs in my head!!!! Tongue

Morning folks.... Joe, glad your boys are O.K. What's a few more gray hairs, right? Spring break was last week so I'm back at it this week but I only have 3 weeks left and the semester is over! All the universities have spring breaks at different times but I think they are all over with now. Leslie, finished up looking at your pics.....really pretty and looks like you certainly had a great time. Love the picture of all the keys layed out on a towel. That Sydney Strider dude looks like he could take anyone for one heck of a run! Congrats on keeping up and running over 10 bridges. Whew! Gym workout yesterday with a 2 mile run. Skipped my knee appointment last week and really kicking myself for doing that because even with all this down time I've had, the knee just wasn't right yesterday. Hello to Ev, Jim, Carol and Cindy. Later guys n' gals..... Jewels
                            But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

flatland mountaineer

4 miles, windy and cold, roads have dried out. Today is my tempo day but did not do a formal tempo portion, guess I'll just use the into the wind part as my tempo. Joe glad the boys were OK. Jewels 3 wks and school is out for the summer woohoo! Leslie nice 5 miler. Field Lynda was trying to work was still too wet yesterday, maybe today. Looks like some clearing for next week, next friday is my traditional planting start day. I have one field that will take at least a week to dry out so we may have to plant our sandy ground unhook, strip-til that field then hook back up. Winds to 43 today so guess my sprayer will remain parked.

Skipped my knee appointment last week and really kicking myself for doing that because even with all this down time I've had, the knee just wasn't right yesterday.
                                Jewels - Evil grinDo you feel the swift kick in the butt I gave you after reading that? Evil grin Now go get that knee checked out. Evil grin
                                Was it hot? It's summer now right? Were the people real friendly? Did you see any native Australians? Many sailboats in Sydney Harbor?
                                Joe - No, it wasn't hot as they were at the beginning of their fall. In fact, on Sunday, April 6 at 3:00 a.m., they set their clocks back on the East coast like we do here. Parts of the rest of the country do, as well. Closer to the coast, it was definitely humid. Not horrible, but definitely more than what we're used to here. The last couple of days, when were in Sydney, it was even cool enough to wear jeans. The people were very friendly, and everyone wanted to listen to our "American accent." Big grin Our young waitress at a cafe one night was very enthralled with the fact we were from America. She was a real sweetie. Then she says, "I want to visit America really bad. I love hip hop music and want to go to Compton." Shocked What? Holy he!!, no you don't! The Hub says, "I wouldn't even go to Compton in the day time, let alone the night." Her, "Really?" Him, "You know the gangs they talk about? They're real. Believe me, you do not want to go to Compton." Me to her, "It's a crap hole, honey." She was stunned. (And yes, for those of you who don't know, Compton is one of the absolute worst parts of Los Angeles. Do not, I repeat, do not ever go there.) Re native Australians - I'd say that most of the people we saw were caucasian. I have a feel the more you get away from coast and go inland, there would be more Aboriginal folks. There were a few sailboats in Sydney Harbour, but more ferries. However, coming up the coast, all those bays and inlets had tons of sailboats about. FJ - Here's keeping the fingers crossed the weather cooperates for you. An hour of strength/core this a.m., and will do 3 miles after work. I hate running after work, but I couldn't drag myself out of bed early enough to get them in this a.m. The Hub's been sick, so I've been sleeping in the guest room on the good bed = no snoring Hub and only 1 or 2 cats = most excellent nights of sleep, unlike last week. {sigh} Who knew sleep could feel so good. Yes

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance