Masters Running

Tue Sep 9 Runs and Workouts (Read 493 times)

Good morning, everyone! A little warm and humid, I started my last big week before Portland today with an 8 miler. 70°F and 91% humidity, but I had a bit of energy regardless. Took three very easy, then ran a few striders, and after that did a bit of a progression run. 8.1 miles, 1:10, 8:38/mi, AHR 150 Hope you have a good one today.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning - Thanks for the good start off again Lou, and nice run at a good pace. I guess I missed your race Carolyn...great job and PR...YOU ROCK Smile Steve, my Marathon is a Boston Qualifier which I would have to run around 3:29 for my age...but I am not putting ANY pressure on myself other than just running my planned MP steady till the last 10K, then see what I have left in the tank. As far as toeing up to the line, I think I would have to be careful about that one as to not get trampled when the gun goes off...but we will see I guess. Yeah Erika, that is a lot of runners for the timing system they chose to use. Oh yeah, the 1/2 Marathoners and Full Marathoners start out at the same time, hence why toeing up to the line seems chancey. 5 easy / recovery miles for me in a lot cooler weather than we have had in a while...felt refreshing actually. Because of my continuing heel pain, I am going to have a cut back week with no speed work. I did have one of my better weeks last week with a PR for weekly mileage. Have a great day everyone, Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Nice to see you guys at the top of the daily, WRFB and Tim. 5 easy-paced miles outside in a lovely light rain, 62 degrees, almost spring-like, including 10 x 100m striders, (ave HR 137), followed by this on the treadmill: (1 min 10:00/1 min. 8:34) x 5 6.1 miles total. Achy tendons, though, so tomorrow will be x-training again. Happy Tuesday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning! Tim - you are going to do great at your first Marathon! I agree that the chip in the bib idea is a bit hokey with that many runners. Doesn't quite seem fair. Go to the front of the line but stay on the side so you don't get trampled!! Wink I will call today's run a confidence builder. I've been feeling a bit unsure of myself lately with my slow lethargic feeling runs of late. This morning it finally felt good again - at least for today. I wish I could bottle this morning's weather for race day. 5 miles - 9:45 avg. pace - 155 avg. HR 52 degrees with a light breeze and clear sky. Brinkley sported his new LED red flashing light on his collar too! Smile 9:53 / 145 9:34 / 150 9:31 / 160 9:37 / 163 10:07 / 160 My 2nd cousin wrote an article for the October issue of Runner's World which I got in the mail yesterday. It was about running his first and only Marathon to raise money for cancer. It touched my heart, as to me the article was more about my 1st Cousin Dick who was a wonderful person, fun loving, life of the party kind of guy and boy, could he pound out a tune on the piano! Maybe that is why I felt better on the road today . . . Cheers!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Nice running Lou! You too Mary.....runs on days like those are keepers. I read that article in RW and was very moved. I am guessing the story will inspire others too. Careful with the heel Tim. I tend to get over on the side of the race start and then just find my race bubble and stay there---no weaving and bobbing. Watch the tendons Holly! 4 relaxed miles for me at 5:30 AM under overcast skies. More later this evening including the weekly 5k prediction series race. Storms on the way, so it will be messy on the trails! Over and out CNYrunner

Renee the dog

Morning everyone! Missed you all last week. Only did 6 mi. total on the treadmill at The Animal Kingdom Lodge at Disney -- I am just not built for treadmill running! I irritated some little tendon on the outside of my ankle and it feels here and there like I've been shot with a nail gun. I know it sounds bad, but I had this before when I was a non-runner and just would go on the treadmill at the gym for a couple miles. In other words, it's a known issue with the nono model 4.3! Well I went out this morning for a 5 mi run, which turned into a 2.5 mi run when I remembered the tile folks were to be here at 8 a.m. to start my backsplash! So, I'll be finishing my run later today in stormy weather, but I'll take it. No more treadmilling for me for awhile.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Good morning, all! Nice run to kick off the list, Lou! {{{{{{Tim's heel, Holly's tendons and nonoruns ankle}}}}}}} be careful folks! nonoruns - oooh Animal Kingdom Lodge at Disney sounds great - hope the tropical storms/hurricanes didn't put a damper on your vacation. Mary - I'll bet Brinkley is quite handsome with his new LED light. How is B'Nellie? Picture time ;-). Warm and humid still here this morning - 70 with 98% humidity. Comfortably hard 8.1 miles on the track @ 9:37 average pace and 159 AHR. Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

annied

I have just started lurking again, and had the urge to actually post. Do you guys remember me? I am the one who saw and spoke to Holly during Boston this year. Again, I am offering anyone who qualifies for 2009 can stay at my house and I will get them on my team bus (coach w/bathroom) to the start. Limited time offer. I ran 6 miles this morning and felt great. I had a big race on 8/31 and am still tired from it. But I am now back. Hope to post more often. Ann

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Mary - I'll bet Brinkley is quite handsome with his new LED light. How is B'Nellie? Picture time ;-).
                    Hot off the camera this morning from our camping trip. Seems no matter where we are she likes to sneak up into "my" chair. She is such a little stinker!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Well, this morning's run was a mess. Yes I was hoping to run 8 miles with 3 mile repeats and see if I could build some stamina along the way. Unfortunately, Hurricane Ike is out there wreaking havoc on the Islands and the effects are definitely being felt here. Not only that, it was 83F at 5:15 AM. Ugghhhh. So out I went, with the first 4 miles directly into the 25-30 mph headwinds. A few times it almost stopped me in my tracks. The first 2 mile repeats I ran into the wind and with a hill. These were laughable as I only could manage 9 minute miles. Blush Then I turned around and buzzed the last mile repeat, with the wind, at 7:09 min/mile pace. Whee!! Smile But this was really a mess as the pace was all over the pace, the HR was up and down like a yo yo, and working way harder than I should have for 8 miles. Gotta trust that running into that headwind will build up my strength. That's the story and I'm sticking to it. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

King of PhotoShop

I remember you Ann. Post often! Tim, in a race of 6,000 people you are at no risk of being trampled at the start. No one moves for a few seconds, and then when the crowd does begin to move it goes very slowly. Don't worry about it. Today I am headed to the Y and try out the elliptical for the first time. Wish me luck. Aamos, you are now one back in the loss column. You have them on the ropes. Make the most of the Fenway home cookin'. Remember, the Rays go to Yankee Stadium after they finish with you, and if the Yanks play like they are capable of playing, you could be in good shape. Spareribs
                        dg.

morning! -) just have time to post my run, hope to get back later & catch up a bit. 4.83 miles, 9.36 average pace, 8:27 max, ahr 167, mhr 175. stability ball reverse crunches, side planks & russian twists. weight machines. there you have it. (Ribs, I am not yet Superwoman. thanks for my new goal. Wink ) thanks so much for all of your encouragement re my sunday run. you are the best.

Marathon Maniac #957

Do you guys remember me?
                            I remember you! Coincidentally, I ws just thinking about you recently, and wondering if you were still popping in occasionally. I was so touched by your kind offer of a place to stay. Unfortunately, I managed to injure myself over the summer, thereby blowing my chance to try to qualify for Boston 2009. Maybe another year I may show up on your doorstep... Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

DickyG

I've decided to vote for the candidate who adopts this simple three-point platform: 1. Eliminate all recorded messages in government offices & businesses..only human communication would be permitted. No more "if you know your party's extention, you may dial...." 2. Selection of hurricanes' names must be taken from the 1960 edition of "Names For Your Girl Baby". I hate these hurricanes named after foreign boys. 3. Promotion of legislation forcing all major league pitchers to bat. If God hadn't wanted pitchers to bat, he wouldn't have given them two arms. Teresa: 6.7 good miles yesterday....back in the game! Ribs:
                              And here is another rant while I am at it: Don't the Cowboys have to play 16 games like everyone else and then win in the playoffs before they can have the Lombardi trophy? I am so tired of the sports media down here. They practically canonized the team after one win against the Browns. The Browns!
                              I think your local press is canonizing the wrong Texas team...I really like the Texans, especially their quarterback. Tammy:
                              But then every team he was going for lost yesterday - the Seahawks, the 49ers, then the Colts. I was hoping at least ONE of his teams would win!
                              Well, at least he (hopefully) had the good sense not to bet on the games, unlike a certain list member, not mentioning any names. NoNo:
                              No more treadmilling for me for awhile.
                              Welcome back...hope you guys had a great time. I hate treadmills also...I always fall off and end up in a trashcan somewhere. Bill: That's a super effort under those conditions...looks like Ike will give you a glancing blow at worst. 4 wet, humid, warm slow miles this morning...37:46 (9:27)...just couldn't breathe in this soup...we need snow. DickyG
                              Mariposai

welcome back annied. I remember you. You were Holly's angel. I wish I could say I will take advantage of your offer for bed, breakfast and a ride...but that is not going to happen for a slow poke like me. Boston is totally out of my league. You are a very generous person sistahh. Post often and tell us how your training is going. 4 hilly miles a-la-PDR. I am starting to like the feeling of running in the dark. Erika, please rest a day or more if you need to...your body is telling you something...be gentle to it. Traveling tomorrow on business trip to Seattle. Will be there until Friday night.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard