Masters Running

Thursday 10/15 Rests, Runs and Taper Madness (Read 405 times)

Anticipation is definitely growing for this weekends marathoners (and other distances).  Even though every race by my internet buddies is important to me, I am especially anxious to hear about dg's first marathon.

Good job on the speedwork, mariposai.

This morning, it was in the mid 30s and there was a light wind.  I got in 12 miles in about 1:56:20 for a 9:41 pace.  At the expense of boring people, I'll say more as it was an unusual run.  It was very similar to the 8 mile run I reported on Sat, where I had big inadvertant negative splits and a progression run.  I didn't feel very energetic and figured I should start easy and keep it easy so I'd have a chance of completing the planned 12.  At about a mile and a half, I checked and my average pace was 1:10 which I was willing to live with.  A mile or two later it was 1:08.  Another couple of miles 1:05.  The run felt hard with my legs tired and my breathing hard.  A little over half way, my average pace was 9:59.  I began to wonder if I could hold my pace to sub 10 and finish the 12 miles.  Somewhere in the second half, I saw a pace in the mid 9:50s.  With a couple of miles to go, I was struggling.  I knew my form was going to heck, I kept finding myself leaning forward too much and wondering if I was going to stumble and fall. I figured my pace had dropped to walking speed.  With half a mile to go, I was thinking I could walk the rest and still have a decent time.  As I finally got to the 12 miles, I hit the stop button and was shocked to find the overall time and pace.  The second mile was my slowest, 10:17, and each mile thereafter got faster with the last one at 8:51 and the second half 3:50 better than the first half.  Checking my log, this was my fastest 12 mile training run of the year. After awhile, I decided I was going to live and felt good about the run.  Sorry to get so long winded about a training run.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS 

dg.

Smile

mta.    TomS great job!!   And that run deserved a more detailed post!!    I hadn't read this when I posted....     nutty busy at work & so I thought I'd pop in and share the madness since I didn't have time to say much more right now.

but thanks everybody for the good wishes. 

Tom,

Finding your mojo late in the season? Great run

All racers this weekend  will have great times in minutes and in emotions just because. Good luck to all ahead of time because I will be out of town for a long weekend and probably will not get to post or run for that matter.

3.5 miles at the gym watching the story about the 6 year old in the balloon.  Hope it turns out OK.

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

TammyinGP

wow what a great run Tom!! congrats to you. Those kinds of training runs are always so satisfying.

good luck to DG's upcoming marathon. Having run my first not that long ago, I remember just how special that first is. Savor it and enjoy the entire experience!

Tet - it's still a ways off, but Newport in June '10 is when you can redeem yourself

I had a good workout this a.m., I took today off work so after dropping my son off, I headed to the gym. I haven't been there all summer, so wanted to take advantage of having a free day to myself and do a variety of things.  I ran a total of 6 miles, elliptical for 40 min and about an hour of a mix of leg and upper body weights, core work and stretching. It was a good workout and I was famished by the time I got home. Only had a bowl of wheaties and a Clif bar before going to the gym and I was there a total of 3 hrs, so definitely worked up an appetite.

Going to the gym again tomorrow morning and will do some weight stuff inside again, but it's supposed to be nice tomorrow, so will hopefully head outside for a run.

Tammy

Renee the dog

Hey folks!  I've been running, just not typing!  I don't know what happened to this week!

I'm feeling fine, been running, but oh so busy otherwise.  I also have to pack up this family in the morning to get to the AutoTrain.  Yep, it's Florida time again.  I'll be running Disney's Tower of Terror 13K while there.  Bunch of friends are meeting to do the final version of this race.

Wishing all the racers great results this weekend! 

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

nono - that sounds fun Disney's Tower of Terror 13K!!

tom - great run today

very excited for deb's first marathon -- so many of the women in my running group are doing their 1st at Baystate this weekend -- sooo excited for them, just wish the weather forecast was looking better - 30's and rainy

last night at track did 1 mile warmup -- then 2 sets of 2 miles where each lap was supposed to get a little quicker so that the 8th lap was the fastest.......then did 1 mile cooldown ........ love MVS track workouts!!

denise

Tom, that is just so good to hear.  Really happy for you!

nono, I know how you feel--no need to apologize.

3 hours, Tammy--you win Beast of the Day!

Finally, the sun came out!  It is over 50    YAY!!!!

I squeeked in a 10K at lunch in just barely under my age.

grins,

A

Masters 2000 miles
                evanflein

Nice gym workout, Tammy!! I'm envious. Haven't spent that much time at the gym in a long time...

Go Deb, Go! (and Holly, and Byll, and Nono... 13k, heh)

Hi Aamos!!

Beautiful sunshine this month for us. Just can't figure out what's going on, but I'm sure it'll end with a thump. But for now, basking in the sun, shivering in the temps a bit... 4.5 miles RAL in 30°F at 8:22 avg pace. I think tomorrow will be a pool running day. I said I'd do a lot of that after my marathon and just haven't had the time to get there.

spacityrunner

the excitment of the race is in the air...i can feel it!

Went out for a wet, windy, chilly, life reaffirming 5 miles today.  Rain, 14 mph winds, 48F...it was wonderful!  running shoes are now stuffed with newspapers to help dry them out...and according to the weatherman I will do a repeat of this on sunday...thats ok with me!

Nice running TS....

Hi Aamos!  nice speedy 10K...

Tammy, wow...that is a heck of a workout...

Good runs and good night all......

Trails Rock!