Masters Running

Race Reports for the April 20&21 weekend (Read 18 times)

Mariposai

Wishing our weekend racers a great fun and fleet feet!

04/20 pfriese - Remember the Ten 5K, Stillwater OK

04/20 spinach - Earthday Half Marathon, St Cloud MN

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

spinach

I had a good result for the Earthday Half Marathon in St Cloud MN. I had several injuries and surgeries the last couple years and so I was expecting a bad result.  The last time i ran more than 9 miles was a year ago when my time was 1:43 but i still won the 60-64 age group. I was expecting a slower time this year with my physical difficulties recently.  Well that didn't bother me this year.

My time was 1:33 and I won the 60-64 age group again. I managed to keep all my miles within 14 seconds except for a mile than needed a  portapotty visit.  I am quite surprised with this and now i may begin to thinking I might do a marathon again.

The race reports an Age Graded Results whatever that means but I like it since i finished 3rd in the Age Graded Results. They say me age adjusted time is 1:15:52, which i suppose i will take. I never did get that time when i was younger so I take this silly adjustment since i could never get anytime like that at my current old age.

This is a fine race, i would recommend anyone to consider this race in the future years if you are in the Minnesota area.

pfriese

Remember the Ten 5K

This was the 13th anniversary of the remembrance race for the young men who perished in the OSU men's basketball team plane crash in January 2001.

It was a perfect morning for the race at my alma mater.

The temperature was 50 degrees with no wind on a cloudless morning... just perfect. It's about an hour and a half drive from my house to the campus/race. I arrived an hour before the start. So, I did a nice 3 mile warm up jog around the campus reminiscing along the way. For a change I seemed to line up in exactly the right spot for my pace. This is my 5K PR course, probably because I know every portion of the course from elementary school & college. It's a fast course with a gradual increase in elevation for the 1st mile, then a moderate downhill for the next 1/2 mile followed by a small uphill before leveling off to a very flat course all the way to the finish. I lined up behind the OSU men's basketball team wanting to see if I could finish ahead of any of them. Of course the all shot out at a fast basketball pace from the start, but I kept them in sight (they're tall). At the top of the 1st hill I passed one of the players. At the 5K 10K split half the players were doing the 10K. So, I only had 4 players ahead of me. I was able to catch& pass 2 more playerss on the next uphill just past the split. The final 2 players were in sight, but pretty far ahead. I finally caught player  #4 just before the 3 mile point & was catching up to the final player... Then he saw the finish line & took off at a sprint.

Race stats: Time - 23:16, Good for a 1AG & 39OA.

Mike E

MM #5615

Good job, guys.  two 1st place awards!  Nice!

Excellent!

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

TammyinGP

Excellent racing to you both!

Tammy

Dave59

Congratulations.  Those are some smoking times for age 60+ runners!  Good at any age actually.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

With those times, you’d both be winning AG’s,

and more, out here in the PNW too.

Maybe check with Opie about next year’s Senior Olympics.

I lined up behind the OSU men's basketball team wanting to see if I could finish ahead of any of them.

I thought this might be somewhat overly-optimistically biting-off-more-than-you-could-chew

I finally caught player  #4 just before the 3 mile point & was catching up to the final player... Then he saw the finish line & took off at a sprint.

I guess not.

What were both of your HM and 5K times, respectively, over the years?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)