Masters Running

JFK 50 Mile race report (Read 37 times)

wildchild

Carolyn

Congrats on your first 50 miler, Bio!  How fun that you had so many family members come out and cheer!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Thanks for sharing your story and congrats!

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

TammyinGP

Wonderful Race Report Bioguy! And huge congrats on running a smart 50 miler!  
        I was cringing as you described the carnage you were seeing and nodded in agreement when you mentioned the leaf covered trails and not knowing what lie beneath. ahhh, if I only I would have also been smart in my own recent trail race. 
        Sounds like you ran YOUR race and didn't get caught up with others' paces, etc. smart smart smart! 

Thank you for a most insightful and interesting read!

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

Yay!  Well done!!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

SteveP

BioGuy - That's crazy tough! I cannot imagine people having to be carried off of the course!

SteveP

Alexander R

Thank you very much for the report, enjoyed reading it and congratulations!!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Bio - fantastic preparation, anticipation and fulfillment.

. . . this is definitely a race I’d consider doing again.

Bio - though "never again" is associated with many runners' first marathons, including me in 1977, maybe the overwhelming satisfaction of being able to do something that most people can't or won't probably produces more per capita first finisher interest in multiple ultras than for marathons.

I was however relegated to wearing the “vest of shame”. Volunteers put a reflective vest on you as the last 8 are on country roads where the traffic still runs.

Bio - this surprises me.

I've never heard the word "shame" associated with anything having anything to do with ultras, especially 50 miles and beyond.  I bet it's because when they started running the JFK in 1963, most, if not, all of those running the distance were very good and probably would have preferred to DNF instead of embarrassing themselves by dragging in after dark.

No headlamp , , ,, ,

Bio - very, almost inexcusably, dangerous on dark country roads.

. . ., car headlights were pretty blinding.

Bio - time for a cap with a nice bill next time, . . . unless you can beat the "vest-of-shame."  Smile

ps - all of my 50-milers were because of wanting to do it for the memory of JFK's 50-mile marches that made a big impact on me as a college sophomore in 1963.  Thanks for the chance, at last and at least, to do it vicariously after all these years.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

. . . a guy ran the JFK with a GoPro and posted it on YouTube.

bio - fantastic Youtube from your 12/3/21 daily recap post  For future reference for those of us obsessed with the JFK 50 and the 50-mile distance ever since the original JFK 50-mile marches in 1963 that we will never get to do on our own, reposting over here too.  Thanks.

I didn't know about the historical sights along the way of Harper's Ferry, Antietam, etc.

However, What are the four dams?

I wonder if there is still a military presence amongst the runners?

Also, I guess the Cliffs are but what miles are on the Appalachian Trail?

I guess the faster you are, the more hydration that is needed but do any runners just get along with just the aid station nutrition and hydration as is possible in most of the PNW ultras (though many still carry their own too but, unless it was going to be a really hot summer day, I pretty got by between aid stations with a couple of extra gels).

I wonder who/how this particular route became the JFK?  Any connection with JFK?

descent at Weverton Cliffs.

bio - at least for alpine skiers and others who love running down hills, it seemed kind of frustrating for the more crowded middle-of-the-packers having to walk down the Cliffs single file in a crowd almost as bad as the single file ascents in the Mt. Fuji Summit Race, Mount Marathon, etc. that go up too like Weverton goes down. Very reminiscent too of the rocky descent from the top of the pass in the Cutthroat Classic but, unlike Weverton,  nice round rocks make it easier to run leaping from boulder to boulder.  The public reception by crowds are the bottom of the Cliffs are very reminiscent of the Tour d'France-like crowds when coming off Mount Marathon for final stretch run down the city streets to downtown Seward.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Joe618

Bio, wow, just wow.   Mega congrats on getting this done.   The combo of technical trail and flat towpath/road is amazing.   I also watched all 18 minutes of the video...that also really helped capture an amazing course.     I'm in awe. 

Living in the Midwest, I've never heard of this race...now I know...may go on my someday/maybe list!!

Way to persevere...congrats. 

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.