Masters Running

Eugene, My First Full Marathon (Read 427 times)

GreenMan

Congratulations, Enke, you're are marathoner. I also think that illness ambushed what would have been a better day on the course. Your training was very good, but the first is gonna be tough regardless. You've shown you've got the toughness that it takes, so next time is bound to be easier. Rest up, then keep working on your base. We're all so f-ing proud of you! Good job, jjj
    Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.

Top 'O the World!

all I can say: {{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}} omg! sleep girl!
      Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Maniac 505

Cool! Arf gets in kind of late Saturday, so probably won't get a chance to see you before, I will we will figure out things when it gets closer. Dave
        Dive and Arf - I signed up for the Seafair half a long long time ago, as the rates go up so fast. I would love to see you guys there or beforehand.
        mustang sally

Bad faerie

Enke, you were gracious and delightful in person - and tough as nails out there on the road. You did a great job training for this race and have a superb base under you to go do whatever you want now, long, or short. This RR was moving and hilarious all at once. I'm so glad that you're OK and hope you're well on your road to recovery.
            I'm so glad that you finished your first marathon and that you posted such a moving RR, but am sorry that you suffered so much out there. I'm sure that this will be your worst-ever marathoning & running experience and things will only go upwards for you from here. For what it's worth, I also had a really bad first marathon experience -- both in the doing and the recovery -- and came back two years later to do it right and move on from there. My experience wasn't nearly as bad as yours, but I'm sure your running future will be bright! Now take it easy, regain your health and strength, and get back out there. Smile

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #957

Hey Marathoner! YOU DID IT!!! Remember Mariposai said that to train for and run a marathon you have to have a warrier spirit, and you have certainly shown us yours - under tremendously difficult conditions (severe virus depletion) you still made it, and with quite a respectable time - great job!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Labduck

Enke, this is one of the most powerful race reports I have ever read. Thank you for communicating to us all what you went through. I think your experience will resonate with me for a long time. Congratulations on finishing your first marathon! You done something I've never accomplished, and most likely will not. You should be proud of your achievement.

Head Procrastinator

Enkie, Like everyone else has said, you really persevered through some really bad conditions and finished in not such a horrid time. In retrospect you probably shouldn't have run it, but hey guess what? You did it and you are now a marathoner! Next one will be better and I have no doubt once you get over this you will want to do another one. I am glad you made it to Econo's for some much needed moral support (and for dear Opie to feel even more surrounded by beautiful wimmen)
                  ~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
                  PJH

Wow ... "the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat" comes to mind. You seemed to have both - the thrill of completing your very first marathon and the agony of making it through to the end. I was really feeling for you as I read your RR. I think we've all experienced some of those things at one time or another (I was really dehydrated at Boston), but you seemed to hit the jackpot all in one race. But in my humble opinion, I would encourage you to cherish the fact that you finished your first marathon and are now part of a very select group ... and you got to meet new people and ignite some new friendships along the way. That has to be very satisfying. I've been following your training over the past few months and was quite impressed with your progress. It was unfortunate that "illness" got in the way near the end. Don't be discouraged though. Do take some time to figure out what went wrong and then set your goals for your next race. What's that expression ...when you fall off the horse, get right back up on the saddle. Big grin I see some very good marathons in your future ... you'll have your day. Keep posting. I enjoy hearing about your progress. Continued good running over the summer. PJ
                    SteveP

Enke, You're pretty hard core! Ugh! You finished!!! Sweet!!!

SteveP

Well done! The important thing is that you are now a marathoner! Congratulations! I liked the descriptions of what went through your mind and body in the last 9 miles. No one can warn you of what this feels like until you experience it first hand. Brings back memories of my first marathon... Congrats again and recover wisely, John
                          Three things.... One...congratulations! 26.2 ain't easy no matter what condition you're in. B....I think you were weakened by your illness and not fully recovered. Had you gone into it at full strength, I'm sure you would not have had near the challenges that YOU OVERCAME. You had challenges, did you quit? No, you whipped them into submission! Three... If it was easy, everybody would be doing it. D. .... You're a marathoner and nobody can take that away!
                          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                            yikes - i can't believe i missed this R&R ENKE - you are amazing -- i truly admire your guts and determination to run and finish this marathon despite how sick you were going into it.......your training was wonderful and your spirit carried you through!! i hope you are very proud of yourself for finishing -- YOU ARE A MARATHONER!!!

denise