Masters Running

The day after the day after Earth Day daily - 4.24. 13 (Read 52 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Mariposai - a local running store had Boston memorial/fundraiser runs at each of their 3 stores on Saturday. I was volunteer traffic control at one of them. All told, they raised over $5,000 that morning.

I'm glad, but not surprised, that so many (even Tet!) are offering good advice to Stumpy as he continues the ramp up for his marathon. Even Tet joined in the fun!

Dave, falling out a 2nd story window (or just feeling like it) is a heck of a way to wake up! Better close that window tonight...

I hope DS's final track meet went well last night, Tammy.

That's a beautiful bunch of blondes you've go there, Mike. I don't know if your SIL is lucky, or in trouble for being so outnumbered by the women, or both. Actually, he's pretty lucky...

Byll, isn't it great when you slide into a new pair of running shoes and it's like you've got a new best friend? Glad you like the Ghosts.

I'm glad you got your internet back, Tselbes. IW can be an ugly thing. Nice run in shorts yesterday!

I'm sorry your calf is still giving you grief, TC, but glad that it held up long enough for you to enjoy some running time with your old running partner.

Fatozzig, it is so wonderful that Shorty is doing so well after all he has been through. I'm sure that your support has helped tremendously, so congrats to you too.

Have a greta trip, CNY!

Steve, I just hope we get to summer, on any day of the week.

I'm having a tough week this week for a variety of reasons, so my workout schedule is changing daily, which isn't so good. I took yesterday off after getting far too little sleep on Monday night. Today, I was back out at 4:10 for 5.9 misty, windy racewalking miles. I never got into a rhythm, so I did some easy walking, some pick-ups, and even a little running just to shake things up a bit. I was glad to be out there, and did manage to get a little good work in. I'm looking forward to a scheduled easy workout tomorrow.

I hope your Wednesday is a welcoming one.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

3.5 recovery paced, paper bag miles this morning.  The left hip is a little unhappy with my Tempo miles yesterday so we took it slow today.  (Gettin' old is for the birds.)

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

is there still time to mention leslie and shorty.

however, I'm sure it's more than AA and starts with an "L.".

What at fantastic DW you are

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Tramps

Good morning.

A couple of articles from yesterday’s Washington Post “Health and Science” section might be of interest to you.  One is a nice review of the benefits of lifelong running even as we get older.  The other is on running as a way to combat travel fatigue.

Thanks, Steve. Freaks unite!  Roll eyes

Sorry to hear about the lingering winter weather in places.  It was a gorgeous spring morning here for an EZ 7 miler.  We’re getting the nice temps this week that we should have been getting a couple of weeks ago when it was in the 90s.

Be safe. Be kind.

mrrun

The other is on running as a way to combat travel fatigue.

Thanks Tramps - specially as we're leaving for Amsterdam and a bike trip this evening!  The place we ran with the worst air was Hong Kong - however running has always been a wonderful way to see a city.  We have always walked lots on our first day, but overall I think adapting to jet lag is an individual issue - I adapt much more easily then Henry

I'm not sure of our internet connection - we're supposed to have wifi, but good luck to all w/e racers!

enjoy Kentucky - we ran the half about 5 years ago and loved it!  The hats in the windows are awesome - I took pics cause they were too expensive to buy!

no runs for the last couple of days - life has gotten in the way....

marj

wildchild

Carolyn

Interesting articles, Tramps!  Thanks for the links.

A also want to congratulate Leslie and Shorty - you guys have been through a lot, and both come out stronger.  I'm happy for you both!

Marj and Henrun - have a wonderful trip!

Paavo, that picture of Jocelyn is adorable!  Is she crawling yet?

Hi to LaT and Mustang Sally and Janie b Good!

wcrunner, what ultra are you training for?

Mike, what a beautiful picture of Missy and her family!

I hereby declare a moratorium on complaints about the weather!  Get out there and enjoy it, folks!  There's no such thing as bad weather - only different kinds of good weather!  We've had a foot of snow in the past 2 days, and yesterday was an absolutely picture perfect day to run.  Deep blue sky and fresh tire tracks up the otherwise untracked road through the forest - beautiful!    Yeah, it'll be turning to slush and mud by the weekend, but even running in the slush is a gift.  Just ask those folks who can't run right now.

Happy tapering to Mike, Holly, OM, and Tammy!  (I would add Tet but you can't taper if you don't train...  )

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Dave59

Rained all night and when I got up it had changed to snow.  Ironically, the sprinkler guy is coming over at 1:00 to turn on our sprinkler system.

Today was a gym day.  Short warm-up on the ARC trainer and then a session with the trainer.

...Good Luck to our Kentucky Runners........

there are

at least 5-ways Kentuckians pronounce'' Louisville'',

let me know

which one you like when you get back.

and

I'll tell you which one is actually correct.

=========

.......32min PoolRun.......

............have started

loosening the Floatation Vest and dragging it behind me.

MUCH tougher work-out

............was going to try my first hike since October,

but

a Wall of ThunderBoomers has desended,

and

I'll take that as An Omen I would have gotten hurt.

...........shooting for next Wed.

...............................Good running guys..................was gonna just be a Lurker, but I cahn't do et........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

TammyinGP

Wildchild is right - no weather complaints! You absolutely will not hear me complaining about our 80 degrees and sun. nope. not gonna do it Wink

sorry you are having a tough week Jay. Hope you get back into your normal routine and rhythm back soon.

David had a good meet. the 3000m is the first event at 3:50 or so and is the hottest part of the day here. And for whatever reason, we have this wind that typically blows through the valley at 4:00 and yesterday is was pretty strong. So the warmer temps (upper 70's) combined with a very strong headwind, slowed him down to an 11:08 (still fast in my books but he was disappointed he didn't go sub 11 again), but he easily took first place and lapped a few runners.  It was funny sitting in the stands and listening to others talk about that blonde boy out there. One of the schools we competed against, we've competed against before and were sitting near the stands where several of their runners were sitting. A group of boys were saying "you see that blonde kid out there? at the last meet against him, he lapped everyone except the 2nd place runner!".

Will get in a run later today - about 4 miles.

Tammy

we took it slow today.  (Gettin' old is for the birds.)

+1,000

Good luck to your sprinkler guy Dave - hope the heads aren't frozen in the ground!

Have a great trip Marj and Henry! Safe travels and watch out in the kafe's over thereWink

Shorty's recovery is so awesome. I'm sorry to say alcoholism runs in my family and I've had a couple of relatives who have gone through rehab several times and have not been successful. Congratulations to you both, Leslie.

I was just going to complain about our weather, but I read Carolyn's post...

Hi TomW! We're glad you're back.

45 minutes of pool running and a half hour of laps this morning. Nothing will wake you up faster than jumping in a swimming pool at 5:00 AM.

I loved this so much, thought it deserved a second post. Big grin

...Good Luck to our Kentucky Runners........

there are

at least 5-ways Kentuckians pronounce'' Louisville'',

let me know

which one you like when you get back.

and

I'll tell you which one is actually correct.

=========

.......32min PoolRun.......

............have started

loosening the Floatation Vest and dragging it behind me.

MUCH tougher work-out

............was going to try my first hike since October,

but

a Wall of ThunderBoomers has desended,

and

I'll take that as An Omen I would have gotten hurt.

...........shooting for next Wed.

...............................Good running guys..................was gonna just be a Lurker, but I cahn't do et........

Managed to stay on the bike for 45 min last night.  Ooof!  It's more the nether regions not liking this whole biking thing, and I even have a fairly soft seat!

30 min this morning - 3 min steady pedaling, 2 min sprinting.  Rinse, Repeat.  Then 50 min of core/strength training.  A good work out.

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

C-R

Hi All.

Good running to the KY racers (and anyone else racing this weekend). I'm considering a 5k on Sat but sitting on the fence right now.

Interesting reads tramps.

I'm with wild on the weather. Since my treadmill is dead (BTW - anyone want a slightly used fixer upper treadmill - no delivery but will let it go for a song) I've been forced out doors. Today is was sleeting but it was still fun. Now if we had 2' of snow I would have to complain. Wink

DS1 has had four track meets cancelled due to storms and he's chomping at the bit to run his 1600 and 2400 doubles. DS1 and DS2 have had 4 soccer matches rescheduled due to flooded fields. If I don't get those boys out there doing something it will be horrible for us all in the house. Too much energy.

Two days past one of our 9 month old cats got out of the house and ran off. We feared the worst (we lost one like this about 2 years ago likely to a coyote or fox - yup they are here in the burbs.). To our relief he was howling at the door this morning to enter. We sure are happy the little fellow is home. What was interesting is the other two cats really missed their bud for the time he was gone. Even our dog missed him. Just goes to show how much pets add to our lives. That's all on that subject or you guys might get ideas that I have a soft spot and am not hard core.

Cheers.

MTA: Tomwhite - glad you're posting and not lurking. This place is richer when you're posting.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

...thanks jylnne and fatozzig//.............I needed that............

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

To all those going to Louisville I have two words for you:  Bourbons Bistro.  Phenomenal restaurant!  They not only have great food but also, as the name implies, one of the most impressive bourbon collections you will ever see.  Best of all the staff really knows their stuff.  Get the bourbon flight.  They have a number of suggested flights but you can do better by asking your waiter for a set of recommendations and trying those.  Be forewarned, this is how I ended up being introduced (unbeknownst to me) to a number of nearly impossible but spectacular bourbons.  The cost has been hours of my life trying to track many of them down here in CT.  But there are worse fates!

No running for me today.  Just went to the gym and did some weights.  The calf feels pretty good so I will likely try to go a few miles tomorrow.

fatozzig some people just never get injured, others heal fast and then there are the poor tortured souls like us.   Sad  Oh well, at least patience is a virtue so we should be eligible for sainthood or some such before long!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mariposai

Like Tamster, I will not complain about my 65F and sunny 10 miler I did last night. The legs felt like lead for the first mile, but then "magic happened" and even the strong wind did not deterred from from enjoying my run. i sure enjoyed the surprise!

Today was off for a 4 miler in 35F. Crispy, gorgeous spring weather. We got frost last night, so the wind machine in the cherry orchards were working full power. Poor orchadists, I hope their cherry crop survives.

Long day at work today, but hey, I am not complaining either. Clown.

Go racers go!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard