Masters Running

My Mother's Day Kirkland, WA , Half Marathon (Read 171 times)

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

I never have a race plan, like with all my daily runs, I go out and run by feel. Therefore, I didn't have expectations for the Kirkland Half, which I knew was a bit challenging. I ended up with an official time of 1:48:44 , not a PR but I'm quite pleased with it! By all means, not my favourite course. I can put up with the hills and the steep downhills , but a couple of aspects of race left me grumbling : The portion of the roads devoted to the runners was very narrow so that twice I tripped on the cones trying to pass some walkers. The Half Walk had started half an hour before the run so it didn't take long to catch up with people strolling two or three side by side... so much that when I was barely a 1/4 mile from the finish I had to literally squeeze between two of them totally blocking the way...ok.. I'll bite my tongue... After all I was home early enough to cook brunch for the family..... my Mother's Day presents though are still coming.. I'm off to concert tonight ( a group called the Proclaimers , singers of my favourite running song that goes " I'm on my way ..from misery to happiness.." very motivational...... I'll get to drag my DH to the Opera on Fri and ,the best for last, a free Sat to run the Redmond Watershed 12 Hours.... I'm a very happy Mom!!!! Thanks for reading. Francesca
      Very nice time in the Half....congrats! Have a great time with the Proclaimers, the opera and the Redmond. That race sounds interesting. Please fill me in.
      Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
      btb1490

That's pretty darn good for running by feel and without a plan! Well done! Have fun at the concert, I love the Proclaimers. First heard them in Shrek. Then came "I would walk 500 miles..." Enjoy!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

francescalina - they don't get much hillier than over in Kirkland and I can only hope that your good time might have worn you out enough so I can run with you a little on Saturday to try to slow you down or you'll end up 78 miles in the allotted 12 hours. Smile

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Franc, it sounds like you had a fast half on a hilly course filled with walkers. For the most part, I think that walkers are fine but those that want to walk side by side in large groups sure can make the course difficult to navigate. Your upcoming 12 hour race sounds intimidating to me. Congratulations and good luck on Saturday. TomS
              Seems like a no race plan works quite well. Nice running there! I am with tselbs in that the 12 hour race sounds intimidating and also impressive. Thanks for the report and the chance to experience the fun vicariously. You have a gorgeous name. CNYrunner
              huskydon

I guess your plan is to have no plan and it works well! Great race and great way to celebrate Mother's Day. Congratulations. huskydon
                  Hi Francesca! Congratulations on a great time with no plan. If it was like last year, it is all uphill the first 7 miles? I didn't do Kirkland this year, but I did it last year. I found the course very boring and very spectator-sparse. I don't remember there being a problem with walkers, but with traffic control. I hope you have a great 12 hour run! Wow, that should be interesting. You'll be doing seafair I hope? There is a HM in Woodinville in September, is there not? I would like to do that this year, or the 4 mile run.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

Nice job - and good luck on your 12-hour run this weeked!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Nice time for a hilly half with walkers in the way! Doesn't that drive you nuts? Good luck this weekend on your 12 hour run... hope it doesn't get too warm out there!
                        I am a big fan of the Proclaimers! I hope you enjoyed the show. Yep, allowing walkers on course AHEAD of the runners sure is dumb. I have been road blocked by such in the past. I am always dumbfounded by the bonehead mistakes RD's make. Is there some rule that prohibits them from talking to each other? How about developing an on line "how to" manual? Oh well, I hope you had fun anyway. Maybe not a PR but then as you pointed out close to home is always a really good location!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/