Masters Running

Monday Morning Wake-up Runs (Read 494 times)

Thanks, Tim.   I also managed to stub a toe on my right foot Saturday, and it's now a nice shade or reddish purple.  It was a dangerous weekend for me.  Glad your groin is better (okay - that doesn't sound right, but I don't know what else to say. )

Twocat - You rock!  Lots and Lots of  - as Slo says - Spousal Approval Units. 

Kimmie - You probably bruised his male ego.

Vista - I can't hear the audio until I get home, but I've been hooked up to one of those machines like she's on in the beginning of the video.  Did it at the local university last year.  It was a hoot.  Had the full body fat, etc., done.  When that thing is in your mouth, it's hard to swallow.  I felt like a St. Bernard with saliva stringing out of my mouth.  Plus sweating like crazy, etc.  All these students standing around reading the EKG, the oxygen whatever, blood pressure, pulse.  Sexy.  Reeeeeal sexy.

After my non-rest day yesterday, I took today off.  Not having a running goal until July is not a good thing.  No incentive to get my butt out of bed in the early predawn hours.

I did, however, send my coach info about a 12-hr and 24-hr loop run in October.  Me: "I kill you, don't I?" ('cause he wants me to take it easy for awhile but I keep signing up for stuff.)  Him:"YES!  YOU DO!  Are you serious about this or just looking?"  I'm serious about it.  These runs are loops runs, and you complete however many miles you can in the specified time period.  I think it would be great for working on my nutrition over long hours and miles without having to complete x-number of miles to finish.

Later ~

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

Hey Joey! Good to see you! Amazing woman in that article...

Leslie, you might be right about that running by time vs. miles thing. Good training opportunity.

Kimmie, you go, girrl!

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Soooo tired.  I did not get up this morning in time to run.  Maybe after work.
        wildchild

Carolyn

Jlynne, thanks for the wake up call, but Tazzie beat you to it. Her stomach was gurgling loudly, and she woke me up at 3am and again at 5:30 to go out.  Poor girl.  Anyway,  it looks like you got a good run in this morning, and great to have nice weather, even if it is a Monday!

Byll, hope your code gets better soon.  I can't believe you called Holly a slacker.  If she's a slacker, what does that make the rest of us? 

Mary, you must have your hands full with the 2 new kitties in addition to the 6 puppies plus your 4 dogs!
          I think SteveP should submit a photo of Avenger Doggie in his cape to that Dog Run photo contest in the Runner's World link you posted - he'd totally win!

{{{deb}}}  Hope the doc gets you fixed up and OK's running soon!

Twocat, great RR for your DW's first HM!  (Is that enough acronyms in one sentence?)  You earned loads of those "sweetie points" for sure!  Running a longer race in those conditions would be tough - that "squish, squish, squish" would go on forever!

Mariposai, tell your DS that all your friends on the running forum send him big kudos for finishing his first marathon!  Or would he think that was weird that you told all of us? We know you're so proud of him!

Kimmie, that relay dude was pissed that he got "chicked!"  Way to show him!

Hi Vista!  That was a good article.  Hey, how's your running been?

After 3 days of gray skies and snowstorms, today is sunny and nice, just in time for Monday.  But that's OK, I run on Mondays too.   4 trail miles at lunchtime, 50°, IRC. But I ran through an ankle-deep puddle that I couldn't get around, so I went "squish, squish, squish" for the last 2 miles.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Carolyn, did you have this wind we are suffering through today?  35+ mph gusts, boy-howdy.

Twocat, I love your report.  I could visualize you in your rain gear, funbling with all the stuff--not to mention it's hard to spot people in the rain.  You're totally greta for being out there.  Now, the next step for Mrs. TC is to run another half in 16 days, or 2 more in 90 days.  Then she can join this: http://www.halffanatics.com/criteria.html

.....................................D. just signed up.  He may "Erika up" and go for a HF388 license plate .

Gym day for me, needless to say---here's hoping the house is still moored to the foundation when I get home.

Kimmie--what fatoz said.   YOu "chicked" him.

Our runners' club is having a run and turkey feed Friday--any good (easy, fast) recipe suggestions?  We all provide the sides and the host is roasting the boids.

Holly--or you could skip the race report and just give us the social commentary for the weekend.  Sort of like Entertainment Tonight. 

grins,

A

Masters 2000 miles

Twocat, I think you need to do some interval training with that camera!  Did she enjoy the whole experience?

Kimmie, I can't believe in this day and age that men still find it shameful to lose to a woman, but not a man.  Rachel Toor (I believe it was her) had a good article on that.  All her male friends are focused on beating her in races, but not the other guys, who are all about the same speed.

I did finally get out there for a quick run, 4miles.  It was 68F by early afternoon but very overcast so that was cool (well not literally).  My pace really sucked.  Not sure if it was the heat or the 8 miles yesterday or just being tired.  Whatever.

One spot on my route has a nice wide bike path along a road that I run on.  Well a few weeks ago these two little yappers came charging at me, crossing the street, (I didn't mention it before).  It startled me and was annoying.  Their owner lets them wander, I've seen them aimlessly crossing the road before.  So today (and previous days) I was ready, and one of them came at me again.  I really yelled at him.  The owner was sitting in his car waiting for the dog to come back but did NOTHING, did not call him, NOTHING the whole time I am yelling at this potential football.  Sheesh.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Enke - Too bad the owner can't be punted.

Aamos - Get your favorite pesto and a round (or wedge) of brie cheese.  Put the pesto in the bottom of a microwave-proof dish.  Place the brie on top.  Heat 'til the cheese just starts to melt.  Serve with a sliced baguette or crackers.  It's eezy peezy, fool-proof and people go crazy over it.

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Just a note to re-introduce myself after a couple of years of what might be considered a sabbatical.

The answer to your question Wildchild is that I ended up taking a rest from running.   I had pushed hard enough while reaching some running goals that I woke up one morning flat out SICK of running.   A number of factors entered in as a cause.   I felt I did the right thing by simply tossing the running shoes into the spare room closet and forgetting about it.    My earlier decision to leave the blog here was also smart.   I think that if I had forced myself to run (which I considered doing.......just "running through it" like the wall), I would have come up with a physical problem of some sort.

Anyway, I did other forms of physical exercise and only recently decided that running needed to be back in my life.  Part of my rationale  is a career change that is taking me back out on the road.  Running is a good form of exercise for that lifestyle.   As well, I need a stress reliever and running is one of four things I am incorporating for that purpose.

My goal remains to keep running until I have done the equivalent of one mile for every day that I have lived.    I am working on age 10.  At the rate that I am going, I should hit this goal at around the age of 118.

I have read with great pleasure, the Boston Race Reports and was pleased to see so many continuing to do great things.     There were fun, solid reports by Breger, Erika, Perchcreek, PDR, NYRunner, and the "no report yet"  report of HollyS.   I was sorry Tramps that you didn't enjoy the experience as much as you would like, but you still had a good race and will always be able to say you ran Boston.    I was also feeling the disappointment of WRFB not being able to run.

It is fun to see some new people.    I read some of your reports as well.  Again......good races.

I would be amiss not to mention the other reports of races in other parts of the country.  Thanks to each one.

Joey

Vista
                  Mariposai

Vista, we rejoice with your return to RA. Welcome back. You were missed.

Twocat's report made me laugh so hard at work today that a few of my collegues had to come over to see what was making me go insane with laughter. I read the race report outloud to them and them too were laughing so hard.

Like others said it already...twocat, you so rock!!! Enjoy cashing out your marital points...

And a huge hug to Mrs. twocat on her outstanding victory lap. Yes! I think Aamos is right...she just may surprise you and become a half maniac!!!

No running for me, but by the time the day is over I would have walked over 4 miles.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

oooooooo Leslie, I used to sell cheese at a little gourmet store on Boylston St. in Boston that supplied the Newbury St. restaurants too.  I adore cheese.  That sounds amazing! 

Thanks so much!

Masters 2000 miles
                        Welcome back, Joey!

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Marathon Maniac #3309

Hi Joey....nice to have Ya back at RA, and running   You been gone for 2 years.....oh my, where does time go - sheesh.

Quick fly by to post a very enjoyable - EZ 10 miler tonight at 8:15 pace....surprising after all the weekend miles, but I will take it. Thinking tonight on my run I realized even more....I love night time running much more than morning running. I could easily hold the 8:15 pace tonight, but most or some mornings it would be a struggle. Oh well, we have to deal with the cards we are dealt. But would love to run the 10pm 10K Erika talks about every summer....I would love that.

Hi Eliz

TimBo-licious

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

managed to get up early enough to squeeze in 3.2 miles before going back for another 12 hour night shift monday night..........have 4 days off after this so hope to get something done in my house and get some more practice on my bike!!

denise

SteveP

We need you all better DG.

Thanks for the RR Two Cat!!!

Geez Kimmie, some people don't play well with others.

Wildchild, Tag and I are racing with Mary this weekend. He'll get to try out his cape.

Are you working on a book Vista????

SteveP

SteveP

DD#3 works in a bank. She pre balanced her drawer out just before closing...Came out even, had one customer after, then came up short enough to get a "write up". It was the first time off in over a year.  From the bank, DD#3 called the customer who said yeah they did have too much $$$..Then the customer changed her mind and said the transaction was right on.

DD was pretty quiet when she got home. After she related her story, I told her she was capable and competent. That it was too bad the situation worked out the way it did.

Later, I was suprised...She got my lunch together for me....Sweet.

SteveP