Masters Running

Thursday July 18th Daily (Read 42 times)

Tramps

Neat photo from Mari yesterday.  I like it when that happens.

And Tammy’s got some happy dogs there.  Great pics.

MS—that’s scary stuff.  Glad you’re okay and hope your pack leader recovers quickly.

Woo hoo, bear cam is back.  Thanks Troy.

Everybody enjoying the weather?

I thought so.

9.2 miles today.

Be safe. Be kind.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

This would seem to be a trail runner in training.

Calvin and Hobbes

3.1 drippy miles for me.  Anything else I could say about the weather would be repetitive (and apparently going to be repeated for the next few days)  Bleh.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

King of PhotoShop

Yesterday I signed up for a 20K trail race in October at Cedar Ridge, a state park with a very technical course.  My friends are having a lot of fun with this, as I have often poked fun at the trail runners in my running column.  But I don't care how I do, as the race supports "Back on my Feet" a national organization that helps people who have fallen on hard times get back into a mainstream life, with a job and purpose.  They get the people started in a running program, then coach them on job interviews, give them clothing to go on interviews etc.  it's a great group.  I'm so pumped about doing this.

5.4 on a steamy morning today.  Now to work.  Spareribs

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Tramps: Not so much, just as you thought.

Stumpy - looks like a trail runner to me too.

Ribs - Good luck with the trail run in Oct. It seems the race is in support of a great organization, that also has a great name for a race.

5.4 racewalking miles at 4:15 this morning: 73F, 73 dew point, 100% humidity. It had rained overnight, and it appeared that some of the moisture remained stuck, suspended in mid-air. I took it easy till the last half mile or so: There was a relatively slow runner up ahead of me, and I just couldn't resist using her as my rabbit (I never can resist that temptation). So I sped up, came up on her shoulder, scared the heck out of her (just by silently showing up), and wore a happy face for the rest of the way home.

I had a great meeting this morning with the officers of one of my non-profit groups, so the day is starting out well.

Have a greta Thursday, and keep a water bottle handy.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

just watch out for 20K of rocks, roots, and other erratics or you might start liking `em.

I keep having this recurring dream about running again with all the posie`s like the 12 Bloomsday K at my own birthday last year but this time it`s mari`s birthday for 26.2 miles and birthday carolyn and so many others too. Maybe I`m drinking too much of coca cola`s new *latin biorhythm, play-eat-drink, mate tea* over here in Japan.  Or could it be the new variety of the popular bags of Mike:s Popcorn, e.g. soy sause salty, miso magic and now the one that got me as a fish lover, *cod egg popcorn.* Not only that, I can eat it at Holly`s Cafe Bistro just down the street.  No wonder I love eat,.. I mean running so much.

/

thanks anyway troy but I saw enough of them (and them me)

just by opening the door of the quarters we had at the outlet in those days.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

...just lay off the Oysters tet//............you know how you get.........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Greetings!

Tramps! Wink yeah, loving it....!

Got going a bit later than I wanted this morning, but got through 9.6 miles and left a big 'ole sweat trail on the front steps.  Hit 102 yesterday, let's go for it again! Yee Haw!

Good on you for supporting such a great cause Ribs

Great photos indeed over the past few days.  I am trying to catch up after a few days on the road. Covering lots of work miles lately, but no complaints.

Crew and pacing duty coming up on Saturday at the VT 100. I am so excited for my friend and if all goes well she has a real shot at being first woman and her husband could well win the whole thing. My pacing sections won't likely be at night, but I am packing all manner of supplies in case. She's hoping to get to mile 89 (gosh that looks crazy just typing it) at sun down and then another member of our crew will run her to the finish. I think I am more excited than she is.  The rest of us will head to the finish with our cowbells and the 100 miler's favorite beer (her only post race request).  Scroll down in the attached and you'll see mention of my teammate (Amy) she was second woman by only TWO minutes last year. That's a lean at the tape in an ultra!

http://www.runnersworld.com/trail-racing/africa-chaigneau-take-hardrock-lewy-boulet-vying-for-us-mountain-team

The article also mentions the National Mountain running championships at Mt. Cranmore in NH this Saturday. Five of my teammates will be there and trying for a podium finish. They finished 2nd as a team at Mt. Washington and have a real shot on Saturday. very cool!

SO glad you are okay MS

Over and out for now, stay cool if you are in a hot spot and savor the cool if you are not...

mrrun

Hit 102 yesterday, let's go for it again! Yee Haw!

cny - keep that out west - we're only at a mere 95.  went out before i was awake and didn't look at the temps. drippy 4 and the water and a/c are handy!

wildchild

Carolyn

Crew and pacing duty coming up on Saturday at the VT 100.

Karin,  Francesca is running the VT 100 - keep an eye out for her!   Good luck to your friend and her DH.

Yes, I'm enjoying the weather!  I went for a relatively cool (70°F) 4 mile trail run before work this morning.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Karin,  Francesca is running the VT 100 - keep an eye out for her!   Good luck to your friend and her DH.

Awesome wildchild! I will definitely look for her---maybe she is lurking and will see this! And check this out about my friend and her husband---very much the real deal (and both engineers Smile

http://www.farnorthendurance.com/amy-rusiecki-talks-about-the-vermont-100-and-the-world-trail-running-championships/

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Awesome wildchild! I will definitely look for her---maybe she is lurking and will see this! And check this out about my friend and her husband---very much the real deal (and both engineers Smile

http://www.farnorthendurance.com/amy-rusiecki-talks-about-the-vermont-100-and-the-world-trail-running-championships/

Thanks for the FB msg Carolyn!  Karen, I remember them from last year...they were sitting not far from me at the post race lunch...

I have bib #50.....but you'll be long gone by the time I come through! Smile

Thanks for the FB msg Carolyn!  Karen, I remember them from last year...they were sitting not far from me at the post race lunch...

I have bib #50.....but you'll be long gone by the time I come through! Smile

Hi Francesca! I'll see if I can see you somehow....the four of us who are crewing for Amy are doing so as of the mile 47 post (Margaritaville---where Amy has instructed us to drink a Corona or some tequila with the Parrotheads for her....) Her husband's crew will crew for her as well up to that point and then we'll switch off gear and all that. Three of us will be splitting up the pacing duties for the last 30 miles and I may stay up there since Amy et al will camp there after they are finished. We'll see! If not, I am there cheering for you in spirit!  Good Luck!

Marathon Maniac #957

Wow - some seriously awesome running going on this weekend!  I looked up the VT 100, and one thing I have noticed about many race websites is that it can be so difficult to find the simple fact of city (and sometimes state) where the start line is located!  Maybe I am just challenged at this point in the evening after a busy workday.....

Ribs - have fun!  Enjoy the scenery!  Try not to fall down!  And don't worry about your finishing time - it is not at all comparable to a road race expectation. Great cause!

6.5 miles for me this morning in 77 humid before-sunrise degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Based on wildchild's view of the weather at the LAETM on Sunday I sure bet she is glad to be running back home!

I would like to say that I have been closely following what has happened in the daily this past week but it would be a total lie.  I left for WA last Wednesday and life has been pretty much a blur since then.  I got back at about 2am on Tuesday and then spent Tuesday totally jet lagged.  Yesterday was normal but a super busy work day.  Today has been a pretty busy work, shopping and cooking day.  We are holding our annual barbecue this Saturday and I had to get started on buying food and cooking for about 35 people.  I have help!  One of the area's great cooks is smoking any number of meats.  I am just doing ribs and salads and sides and bread pudding for dessert.  Tonight I dry rubbed the ribs so that I can smoke them tomorrow if need be.  The weather forecast for Saturday is a bit dicey and I do not want to be caught unable to smoke the ribs that day.

Running . . . after my long run on Saturday (21 total but fortunately I had company for 18 of those, thank you Mariposai) I took a couple of days off.  I then ran some intervals yesterday and did zombiesleks today.  Alas, the third wave got me.  Dead  Poor avatar two days as a zombie!  Personally, I think it was measurement error.  The Zombies Run web page says they take your pace at the 30 seconds prior to the zombies appearance and you have to beat that by 20% for 1 minute.  That is a very short interval over which to get GPS readings especially by a cell phone.  But, what measurement error taketh it giveth.  On the fifth wave there was no way I got away!  But I cleared the zombies with room to spare.  Well such is life and death!  Tomorrow it is back to the elliptical.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

C-R

Wow. Some good stories and running in here today. After work my oldest twin and I attended an "all comers track meet" That was fun. Here is the recap.

Ok. That was my first "all comers track meet". Had a blast. It was 95 with a heat index of 100. Yeah it was smoking hot.

Took my son and he raced 1500, 100, 200, 4x100 and long jump. The little shit did well with a 6:15, 15.5, 33.3, 2nd place and 10'9"

I raced the 1500, 100, 200 and 5000.

5:43

23:04 (I had nothing left in the tank and finished DFL)

There were some fast mofos out there. Fun to watch. ALmost geezered a high schooler in the 200 and his team mates were giving him hell.

Best part - "Dad. This was really fun. Can we come again next week?" Worth every bead of sweat.

Sorry for the brag but DS did so well and had some serious fun. Its just nice to be there when he finds something he likes and you can participate and join in the adventure. Hopefully this will lead to many more such memories although I could use some less pain in the racing department.

Cheers all.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/