Masters Running

Tuesday 12/4/18 (Read 43 times)

evanflein

We end up doing the stuck-in-awkward-uncomfortable-positions thing to avoid disturbing the cat. I don't know why, she gets up, turns around and settles back in within a minute so not a big deal. But yes, I'm with Wildchild. Sleep is wonderful and I used to sleep like a champ but now it seems I'm awake and restless a lot during the night.

Hahaha, get a federal day off? Hardly. We don't even get a lot of state holidays off. We do, however, get two days off for Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's and Independence Day. But our state employees get Seward's Day (look it up), Alaska Day, Veteran's Day and another odd one I can't remember now. But they only get one day off at a time, so there. But hey, some got an "earthquake day" recently. We do get 12 paid holidays a year, plus a "personal holiday" to use whenever we want, in addition to our vacation leave. Just need time to be able to use that before we lose it!

Can't remember what else I was going to say. We got in to Newark around 5 pm today, after leaving Fairbanks at around midnight last night, so take four hours off for time change and that's 12 hours total travel time. Why do we do this? Oh yeah! We're going to have fun! Looking forward to meeting Hally on Friday. Two days in a row of no running, but I'll do something tomorrow. Hoping to get a run in Central Park!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Seward's Day (look it up), Alaska Day, . . .

Erika - have fun meeting everyone and the marathon too.
      I don’t wake up that much in the middle of the night but, if I did, I would probably mention that Seward’s Day is the March 30 commemoration of Secretary of State William H. Seward paying $7,200,000 to the Russians for Alaska in 1867 and Alaska Day is the anniversary on October 18 when the U.S. flag officially went up in the Russian capital of Sitka to mark the transfer.  Newcomers who couldn’t keep them straight were told that it had to be purchased first (in March) before it could be transferred (in October).  I guess they’d do it in milliseconds on the computer nowadays.

An accountant who took the week between Christmas and New Year’s Eve off requested a return of half-day leave when the governor let everyone off on New Year’s Eve afternoon in his absence.

ps - only someone from where it's below zero for four-or-five months or a marathon runner could have fun going through four time zones to New York and Delaware in December  Remember when Alaska itself had four time zones too?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)