Masters Running

Sunday August 5 Stormy Runs (Read 351 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Drat!  I knew I would pay for sleeping in so late.  LR day and the radar shows a huge bank of thunderstorms over Indianapolis headed our way.  While we need the rain, I don't feel comfortable running far when a state-sized patch of storms is headed here.  (sigh)   LR on the TM? It's been a while....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Good morning Holly and all to follow. How are the meds working? Are your stomach issues better since you've been taking something for a few days? Sorry about your weather. We had a huge cold front move through here yesterday and when I got up this morning, the humidity had dropped, the skies were blue and the temp was a comfortable 63°. Watched the olympic marathoners as I put my own running clothes on, just wishing that I could run ONE 5 minute mile. How inspiring to hear about some of their stories - one of the women from Kenya (sorry, I don't remember her name but I think she won the NYC marathon)  who is using her fame as a marathoner to buy cows, chickens and a nice house to make life better for her children.

Great job Starr! And better job getting out of that candy store without buying anything! Hope your DH's back feels better today.

Steve - love the new avatar.

A little over a 10k for me this morning - 6.4 miles, 9:45 pace. Anxious to hear about everyone's racing this weekend. Now off to make some coffee and watch the olympics. Have a great Sunday everyone!

coastwalker

Mornin' all,

Holly, I hope that you're able to stabilize your stomach without having to give up all that you love. However, as we all well know, life is full of trade-offs. How'd you handle your LR this morning? I understand your concerns about the rain, but I don't think I could handle a long workout on a TM.

Greta run yesterday, Starr!!

Mariposai, I try to hold my racewalking training/coaching sessions twice monthly (1st Saturday, 3rd Sunday), as my schedule permits. The sessions are free, and open to anyone. Sometimes we have a dozen or more folks, and sometimes it is just me and 1 or 2 other people. It was a treat to have the young girl show some interest and walk a bit with us yesterday. On the other side of the coin, a local runner in her early 50s told me she's got some serious osteoarthritis in her knees, and may have to get both knees replaced or give up running. Her doc did say that walking and even racewalking would be OK for her, so she let me know that she may also show up at one of our sessions at some point.

Jlynne, I was also watching part of the women's marathon as I was getting ready this morning. I was wanting the rain they were running in, or your low humidity. But instead, we had dense fog, high humidity, and mild temps (68) at just after 4am. So I did my 10.75 racewalking miles at an easy pace, and still was significantly drippy by the time I got back. I chose to go up the coast this morning so I could see the sunrise, but the fog was like a steel curtain between we mere mortals on the NH coast and the sunrise: There was no PDP (pre-dawn pink), and no glow announcing that the sun was about to pop over the horizon: One minute, the sky was solid grey, and the next it was still solid grey, but with an orange ball hanging in it. Just as quickly as it appeared, the sun slid behind some clouds, and wouldn't be seen again for a couple of hours. By then, I had stretched, showered, watched a little more of the Olympics, and DW and I had gone for a tasty breakfast at our favorite dive.

Enjoy your Sunday!  -  Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

Just 3 easy miles this morning to warm up and loosen up the body.  I got back in time to watch the last 2k of the women's marathon.

Henrun

We got up early and watched the women while reading the Sunday papers. When the marathon ended we got out for close to 4 steamy miles (82 and high humidity). Many runners must have watched the marathon also since we saw many running at the same time  as us.

Jay, I agree. I hate doing even short runs on the TM.

If it doesn't rain tonight we're planning to see Shakespeare in the park.

JLynne, send some of your weather to us.

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Morning all,

It is a rest day for me after River to Sea Relay [R2C17] yesterday.  All I can say is that it was funConfused when it is over and your standing on the beach afterwards.  During the relay you start to question your sanity for doing it especially when temps are > 90F and humid.  At points you wonder if the human body can produced that much sweat. 

Anyway race report in the Pre-dawn forum:  http://www.runningahead.com/groups/PDP/forum/Post/81472de8f62c434c84c18748fa2f7385#focus

Have a great Sunday.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

King of PhotoShop

I see many of you watched the women's race this morning. I got to the club at 6:30 and there were a dozen or so of my fellow club members watching the race on a big screen TV in the back yard of the clubhouse at the picnic table.  It was so unpleasant this morning no one seemed willing to run, including me.

But I broke away from the main pack, as they say, and started out alone, happy to complete 9 miles at easy pace.  I'm home all this week, so I have plenty of time to make up for the long miles I would normally do on Sunday.

In 1932, Konrad Adenauer presided over what opening ceremonies?   Spareribs

Well I got up to watch the marathon taped delayed out here at 6am only to find out they had aired it at 3am!!!  Fooey.  Then I had stomach cramps and decided just to go back to bed.  Going to be 93F today and I don't know what is going to happen with my stomach so I think I will not be running today.

Starr, that is awesome!!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

Shadowrunner - nice racing!

Jay - you are amazingly giving of your time.  I am always impressed by the ways you are helping your local community. 

I had intended to do a wave run today, looking for a shorter, but better quality LR.  80 muggy degrees at 6:30am gave me a clue that I might be disappointed, and the oncoming thunderstorms added to that.  I ended up running a little over 6 miles outside before the thunder drove me back home.  I got one more semi-speedy mile on the TM before my resolve collapsed into slow running again.  Other than short intervals, I find it very difficult to do longer quality runs on the TM.  I need to see the wide open space before me, marking off landmarks in the distance to reel me in, for those longer efforts at speed.

13.3 miles total, with miles 3, 5 and 7 at (8:29, 8:36, 8:41), followed  by lunges, dead lifts and weighted squats.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

2 hours, about 11 miles.  We having a "cold front" so it dipped down into the 70's overnight and for the start of my run early today.  Coach's plan was for a wave run.  Had my Surf City pacer singlet on and thought, "I'm so stoked to catch a wave," but then when it came at mile 4, I rode it for a couple of miles and thought I might crash but that didn't happen until I was riding the next wave just fine but then fell off at about mile 10.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

...3-days of rain here.......

Thunder, some Lightning, then the Rain cranked up

by

that time I had gotten 20min trailrunning CA,

suddenly

TheBack popped me

and I went home and Drank Coffee

coulda been worse,

coulda Snowed.

....................good running guys........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Bushrat Runner

Haven't had a chance to catch up here yet, but have managed to get some runs in. Meantime...GALEN RUPP!!!! Exciting stuff for US distance running...

Hopefully I'll get a chance to catch up on all the dailies...

wildchild

Carolyn

TW - you really think snow would be worse than running in lightning and hurting your back???  You're very strange.  Wink  Hope your back feels better soon.

Holly, I agree - giving up caffeine, chocolate and wine would be tough!  But it might be worth it to feel better.   I gave up caffeine and alcohol for several years when I was pregnant and nursing, and it was no big deal. Hope your new meds fix your stomach problem.

Mike - glad you had a good birthday run with Ryan!

Nice racing for Erika, Deez, Twocat, and Shadowrunner.

I headed out early for 21 trail miles in Centennial Cone Park today.  It got a bit warm by the end - probably 80F, but low humidity, so not bad, compared to what some of you endure in the summertime.  Then I had some lunch out on the deck, and closed my eyes just for a minute... woke up an hour later!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

+1 on Galen Rupp!! Awesome race!

Got up early for a Sunday and ran 4 recovery miles before the women's marathon.

Later met up with the running club group and saw Rochrunner. It was raining so it was good to have the run already done!

Yesterday was the first 20 miler since spring. It went ok with nice shade on the trail and when I started getting tired around mile 18, I was suddenly joined by a 5K/10K race in progress. That was motivating during mile 19!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

The weather report on the radio when I woke up assured me that we would have a dry day, so I ran our sprinklers prior to making coffee and getting ready for the club run. Well, that certainly assured that we would have rain, but it wasn't too bad and we were wet with perspiration by the time it started anyway.

So 6 miles around Stony Creek Lake with some of the senior members of the club, but saw Speedy Steve (aka Perchcreek) in the "clubhouse" afterwards where we gather for gatorade, bagels, and coffee.

(And after posting this, I see that we were in sync on our visit to RA!)

Now getting packed for my cycle trip this week. Anyone using the place in Good Hart, Byll? Keep anything interesting in the fridge up there?

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"