Masters Running

Thursday, August 19 - never to late to start the daily! (Read 368 times)

Well this is all very confusing.  I have always worn down my left foot outer heel quickly in any shoe - I just looked at my Birks to confirm this.  BUT - my left foot is my supposed "pronator" foot according to the running store guy from when I ran on the TM there  - and it does have a flatter arch (I can see that) and the pains I had in that leg responded well to a stabilizing insole.   I am beginning to think that leg is just longer, and so that heel hits the ground hard and the foot lands flat on it (when I am running) whereas my other foot I mid-strike.

I got nothing today.

Slept in...again.  Just can't get to sleep early enough to get enough Zzzzz's to get up early.

It is only 62F here, after 94F last weekend, downright frigid!

I promise to get up tomorrow as I likely won't feel like running tonight.

Sarge - Craneium is an awesome women's volleyball coach - at the college level.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

I agree, boring runs are ok, but boring days at the gym, especially in the summer, are really dullsville. 

Like enke, I got nothing today.  Maybe RAW. 

grins,

A

Masters 2000 miles
      Slo

In the last 30 days I've purchased 2 new pairs of running shoes. I'm pretty convinced that I belong in a nuetral to nuetral cushioned but I still like to keep 1 pair of stabilitys in the rotation. Anyway......before purchasing I studied the bottom of my 4 pair. they ranged from 360 miles to 600 miles and I can't see a distinct wear pattern.

I'm tempted to get some white paint out, lightly paint the bottoms and see if there is something a little more tell-tale.

Just walked out of my first practice. We had meetings yesterday and some testing this morning. For a first practice it went fairly well. Definitely some very athletic women here. It is interesting going to a new school. Our offense is dramatically different from what they had done in the past, so there is plenty of teaching going on. Players are being very receptive to all the changes which will help a lot. I don't know if I passed this nugget on before but in the irony department, the coach I replaced here is the coach that replaced me in Brockport. Go figure.
          stumpy77

Trails are hard!

if I read that right, the two schools just swapped coaches?  Or am I one school behind on you?  Anyway--glad it's off to a positive start. 

on that same note, while I was waiting in the Charlotte airport yesterday there appeared to be a women's volleyball team (very long, athletic looking women) in front of me ordering food.  I think their school had "Wesleyan" in their name, but due to the logo placement on their shirts I couldn't get a really close look without getting dirty looks. .  since they had a female coach (and you were practicing in Rochester), I don't think it was Roberts to start.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Tempo ish run for me today 85 and sunny.

5 @ 9:09

8:32

8:47

8:17

8:26

Not sure yet what I will run at the Crim next week. All my training has been slow base miles with very little speed or hill work yet.

I think I will just take what comes at this point in my training. Ya never know what might happen, A crash and burn like last Sunday or after a little taper and fresh legs maybe better than I think. Like Tim said I will not be taking this to seriously.

{{{{ Posai}}} just because you always make me smile. You are one of the most positive people I have ever known.

Great runs to all

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

dg.

lots to reply to but little time, again.

Enke, I'm a supposed pronator too, & at least I'm convinced that I'm  a mid-foot striker because that's where I feel the impact when I land... but I wear the outsides of both heels.   Someone told me once that even if they just touch during the process, and then you move forward & really land your weight mid-foot, that it still wears the heel.   dunno.   I suppose I should have it video taped or something.  but That is not something I really want to do.  

Nancy, thanks for the butterfly hug......    don't forget you really do need to rest.

Econo it shorely is nice having you around here.   I was going to comment on something you said... but I forget what it was.

um, what I really didn't say about last Sunday is that when I stopped I could not take another step, at least according to my left knee.   I would have stopped sooner but I did a 4 mile out & back (knew better) & I was still 'out'.   should've walked more of the last mile, it was awful.   Had a hard time walking later in the day.   One thought from this, is that maybe we should be careful about training too smart for too long.... maybe there's a risk that we just break out in Big Time Stoopid, which could be really messy!!   Just a thought..  
                Anyway.   Wednesday I did 3.36 @  about a 9:50 pace, (wanted more, well duh) & this morning ..wasn't sure what was the best choice but I went out just in the neighborhood, & did 2.6 at a 9:49 pace.  It was hilly (for me) & so maybe I got some benefit from it. 
                Sympathy pains for Byll!!!     We do have great timing, huh?

Jeanne, you're doing great!    glad you took a day off when it started to hurt a little.   wonder why it's still hurting?

ok gotta go.

hugs to anybody that wants one, or even two.
                OrangeMat

MM #6177

{{{{dg}}}} because it seemed you needed at least two....

BlazinCajun

Lots of aches and pains out there - take care before they become something worse.

0.5 mile @7:50 in shoes; 0.5 @ 7:23 bare-foot; Core workout with my 12 yo DD; she did 15 military push-ups; I did some also.

See ya'll bright and early tomorrow - take care, Blazin

Andrew
                    ------------------
                    God, my Lord, is my strength;
                    he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
                    and enables me to go upon the heights.
                    Hb 3:19

Dave59

Work has been crazy and I haven't been able to stop by for a while, and it has to be pretty crazy to take away from my internet time.   So I started reading today's thread, but that made it necessary to go see what was going on in here Wednesday with the pedicures, and the then I had to read Tuesday to see what people were referring to in Wednesday. 

I think I am caught up with most of it.  It reminded me of my favorite Seinfeld episode that goes backwards.  (Where they go to a wedding in India.)

Last night I took my granddaughter to the city pool for the first time and she loved it.  Something about walking around on the rough cement and soaking my foot in the warm chlorinated water made it feel 100% better.  I got up this morning and ran 3 miles.  My foot did so well that it was my right calf that started to hurt some. 

Let me add my name to Erika and others who have said they wear down the outer heel on their right foot.    That is always where my shoes show the wear.   My left foot wears more evenly.

It has been interesting to see how many have objected to the idea of a pedicure being done.   It reminds me of the Bible story where Jesus wanted to wash the disciples feet.   I believe it was Peter who immediately objected.    The concept may have been in part that this was God washing his feet.  Of course Jesus taught that the greatest of people serve.   However, the other point to be made is that to have your feet washed by ANYONE is something that may be difficult for some to accept.

Anyway, all very interesting to reflect on.

3.7 miles run easily this evening after work.  I am wearing down but still holding up ok.

Good evening to all.

Vista
                        evanflein

<font>

<font>Dave, congratulations on having something ELSE hurt! I think the pool has real healing powers.</font>

<font>
                          </font>

My Landreths have about 540 miles on them. 
                          </font>I decided to do my run today in my Speedstars with less than 200 miles on them. I usually only wear those for races or speedwork, but today it was hills. I ran the hilly road behind my house, two loops (about 5k each time), then a zip up the hill to the north and back home for 6.7 miles. I ran this hard, trying to hold good pace on the hills, no stopping, no walking (I usually have to walk a bit on the second run up the steep part). Average pace for the whole thing was 8:08, and I wasn't toast at the end! Very happy with how this run went.

On the aches and pains front, feeling good but my right forefoot has not been happy this week. I'm blaming the high mileage Landreths to some extent, but I also think my foot wants some time off soon. I'm thinking of taking some time off, or at least reduced mileage, after Equinox, maybe two weeks or so. Really need to order that aqua jogging belt so I can join tomwhite in the pool. 

(ok, strange thing with the formatting... that first paragraph was typed here in RA, the rest was mostly copied from my KR post... weird)