Masters Running

The Saturday Daily, 10.13.12 (Read 342 times)

Hi Carolyn!  Plenty of accumulation here but in the form of rain.  A week ago I was a happy desert rat and now I'm a happy drowned rat.  A little over 8 miles with some speed coming down the "hills."

mta-Not generally a fan of IPA but I agree about Torpedo.  Had some while camping at the Colorado National Monument and it was quite tasty plus the 4-pack fit easily in my little ice chest.

Thanks for all the encouragement about running another marathon.  I may go ahead and draw up a plan for next week based on the training cycle I just completed.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

Mariposai

13.12 FABULOUS miles!  Beautiful morning as the sun rose over the James River. Felt great the whole way. Just a good run.

And then... I volunteered at the airport for a few hours... and THEN... I got to watch Air Force One land. AND THEN. I got to shake President Obama's hand and exchange greetings and it was very special. I am so happy. 

How cool is that! Shaking President Obama's hand!!! Way too cool.

So many magnificent runs today and as always tselbs takes the time to give people great kudos. Thanks for doing that tselbs!

Have fun with the boys, Spareribs! your RP must be very speedy. Sorry to hear about Riblet's poor performance.

5 mile swim!!!Shocked. Simply amazing. See why Tribee is my hero?

Well, the Autumn Leaf run was a huge success with so many runners and near 500 pds of food gathered for the food bank. The event took place sans-rain and sans Enkephalin, she had a family event that developed late on Thursday (which I am sure she will tell you all about it later) and she was not able to come.

Thanks to the many volunteers, I was able to run the race. 10k in 56.16 good enough for a 2 in AG. Not bad considering that I have not done any speed work since July and I ran 10 miles on Tuesday, 12 on Thursday and i ran 3.2 miles this morning before the race to mark the course with a liquid chalk. This was a 3 minute slower than last year.

Funny, the course is not flat at all, in fact this race is probably one of the hilliest 10k around.

Yes Erika, we need the rain badly, but I am glad that it did not rain, it just threatened to rain all day, which kept some of the racers home.  It looks like it should be coming down soon.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

aka FlyingFinn

Brrr, that’s a long chilly swim for Tri-bee!!! I hope she had a good race.

Very cool you got to meet POTUS, Rosie! Super running today as well.

wb, CR.

Congratulations on your event and 2nd AG, Mari.

Erika, sorry to hear your shin is bothering you. Yes, it was a fun and nice night. We didn’t socialize with these teachers while our kids were in school. When I started working at the school we co coached a math club and over the years we became friends with him and his DW. Now they’re regular visitors.  We had nice weather for a fire and star gazing.  I’ll remember the Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA for their next visit. (He recently tried Moose Drool and Buffalo Sweat Joking)

I took a rest day today and worked in the garden…planted a row of garlic, pulled all the tomato plants and zinnias, and spaded the rows where the peppers and zucchini had been. DS came for a visit, too. I made pea soup. A goot day.

Instructions for living a life:

Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.   ~~~Mary Oliver

TammyinGP

yesterday I made a little greenhouse covering for my raised garden bed. This afternoon I peeked in there and the lettuce sure loved it! I think it doubled in size since yesterday.

Sorry that Riblet didn't have a good race today. We all have bad ones once in awhile. they are lessons to make the good ones even sweeter!

first day of rain today in 83 days. and all it really was was sort of that typical misty / drizzly stuff we get in the PNW. A few little misty drops on our race this morning, but then cleared up and has been sunny all afternoon. David ran a good 5K. A PR for him of 20:00 (21:30 was his previous PR from a race he ran back in april, just coming off track season). he finished 11/115 OA and 2nd AG.  I ran a 10K, 56:46. i guess that's okay on the minimal training I've had. pretty consistent splits: 9.02, 9.07, 8.52, 9.23 (hill), 9.18, 9.06 and 1.55 for the final .20.  both David and I won doorprizes also. He was a running cap from the running store (which will be mine since he doesn't wear hats) and I won a big gift box of comice pears (local). yum!

Tammy

Mariposai

first day of rain today in 83 days. and all it really was was sort of that typical misty / drizzly stuff we get in the PNW. A few little misty drops on our race this morning, but then cleared up and has been sunny all afternoon. David ran a good 5K. A PR for him of 20:00 (21:30 was his previous PR from a race he ran back in april, just coming off track season). he finished 11/115 OA and 2nd AG.  I ran a 10K, 56:46. i guess that's okay on the minimal training I've had. pretty consistent splits: 9.02, 9.07, 8.52, 9.23 (hill), 9.18, 9.06 and 1.55 for the final .20.  both David and I won doorprizes also. He was a running cap from the running store (which will be mine since he doesn't wear hats) and I won a big gift box of comice pears (local). yum!

Thanks for reminding me that I need to go back in the garden and create a little greenhouse to cover my basil.

Great race for both of you!!! 

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

did you escape the rain, nancy?

we got ours after 83 days too.

rosie - I don't remember any IPA, if I ever knew of it, but I'll never forget when I got to do it 50 years ago. Congratulations.  How did he pick you?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)