Masters Running

Sad Sunday, 9.11.16 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

I suppose I'll never feel anything but immense sadness on every September 11th, especially for all the lives lost, but also for how it changed our world.

Good run,and good deal on the zuke. Have you decided what you are going to make with it?

Good cycle-mute, Tet, and good effort to help someone in need. I'm sure he appreciated the the food, if not the suggestion.

Keep up the good work with the knee, Holly. Once you get that back in shape, your running fitness will return.

LaT - What's Aikido? I'm glad you're liking it, whatever it is.

Larry, Some runs are like that - zipless. But at least you were out there. Your zip will come back soon enough.

Hi Monday - I'm glad the C25K is going well - keep up the good work (and stay with us in this universe!).

Tammy - I'm also befuddled about when/where to wear race shirts I've received as a volunteer. I give most away, and eventually get around to wearing the keepers, usually years after the race. Sounds like David did great in losing his singles match. Too bad he and his doubles partner weren't in synch. Good between-match run for you. It must have been tough playing tennis or running a 100 in those temps!

Starr, I can't imagine you ever having a truly lazy day! I hope your hip behaved and you had a good half marathon today! Let us know how it went.

That's a heck of a good cross-training day in the yard, Evanflein.

Steve, our cat hates to go in her box on the way to the vet, but can't wait to get back into it for the ride home!

The weather for yesterday afternoon's (5:00) Fox Point 5-mile race was overcast, just a little warm at 70, but quite muggy from the rain that had passed through just an hour or two before race time. I wasn't really feeling pumped at the start, so I started further back in the pack than I usually would, and decided to just let things develop as they would. The start is uphill, which is never fun, and all I did was try to get into a decent rhythm. After about 1/3 mile, we swung into a slight but long downhill, and I tried to match pace with some of the mid-pack runners around me. At the first mile mark, I decided I wouldn't check my splits, and would just do the race by feel. The course has few flats, but no big hills - just constant up and down, which (for me) keeps it a lot more interesting than flats. In the middle miles, I played 'pass and be passed' with a few runners, and was surprised that I was able to eventually leave most of them behind. I think the mugginess took it's toll on a lot of people, and I was surprised that I didn't succumb to it too. I picked off my last runner about 2-3 10ths from the finish, but she (as she should have) sucked it up and passed me back before the finish. I finished in 53:06 (10:38 pace), which was slower than last year, but faster than I did in '14. As the 1st walker, I took home $50, which gives me $150 in earnings in my last 2 races - DW is very happy.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Today is a good day for reflection. I like the quote "Believe there is good. Be the good."

No run today. I spent a good part of yesterday creeping results from friends at Woodstock and wow are my friends fast (alas I am NOT). Combined they brought home 13 VW buses which are handed out for AG awards. I want a bus. So I am thinking of trying to get faster and doing one of the hundies there next year as relatively few women in my age group race these distances. But I need to get significantly better at trails. And I hope my track record of horrible weather at ultras does not follow me. Did I mention that wind and rain are in the forecast next weekend. eeeek. I really do have bad luck with weather for ultras.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Jay - Aikido is a marshal art that represents peace and reconciliation. There is a lot of internal work and power from the core. When we practice attacks, the point is to move yourself and if the attacker wants to follow – so be it. It is sometimes hard to keep that all straight when some large man is trying to karate chop me in the head though Wink

Monday – I somehow missed your arrival – welcome!

Lori – go out there and win that VW bus!

Well my 6 mile sticky and humid run turned into 8 – why not? It was all fun.

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Henrun

We were supposed to be in NYC this weekend for my SIL's big birthday party but we weren't sure that my back could take the drive so we stayed home. 9/11 sure changed our world and NYC brings back a lot of feelings.

Jay,-congrats. You've become a real pro with all those earnings.

i don't know why but my knee is giving me less pain the last couple of days. It probably knows surgery is 5 weeks away. Yesterday I walked 4 miles (longest in 6 months) and this morning we hit the Charles for a 3 mile modified race walk. Whatever it is I'll take it.

Jay,

keep that up and you can quit your day job. 😜

After yesterdays run run I decided that today's long run would be whatever it decided to be. I ran on feel and went a new way so I had no preset goals along the way. The result was a very relaxed run that ended up being 8.7 miles. I ended feeling pretty fresh and that is great concidering I now have to mow the lawn. Gotta get it done before baseball (Tigers) still in the pennant race and football (Lions) never in any race ,games later.

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Sayhey! MM#130

Today is a tough one.  The brother of Stephen Siller was at the race yesterday.  (He was a first responder who died 15 years ago, inspiring others to create the "Tunnel to the Towers" commemorative runs.)  We learned a little about him, father of five, oldest was 10.  Had worked his shift but heard the call and went right back in not knowing what had just happened.

There was another NYC Fire Captain there who talked about the days and months following, when they worked on site or double shifts where their depleted ranks were a constant source of pain.  He told .of how people came to gather to applaud, wave, hold signs of encouragement for those working at ground zero.  He

He told us how that helped.  Eventually, people stopped coming, and he said that was as it should be, and that it was time to move on and -- without forgetting-- live our lives.

I appreciate that.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - sweet!

Bertha - weather can change a lot in a week.

14-mile run/walk for me today, with the last 4 mostly walking.  My knee twinged, but really was not an issue.  What is more an issue is my complete loss of fitness, and walking or no, 14 miles really has me tuckered out.  26.2 seems so far right now.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

New skirt in town

It truly is a sad day to reflect on.  I just watched BOATLIFT with my son, and it was a great way to remind ourselves of the everyday heroes all around us:  https://www.facebook.com/READYNEWJERSEY/videos/1170329896317740/?hc_ref=SEARCH

On a more upbeat note, it is CNYrunner's birthday! And even better? I got to see her!

I ran a slow 20-miler in yesterday's heat, and then got up at 5 AM to get in another 6 miles before shaking my son, Will, awake to cart him off to the Greater Boston Track Club's XC Festival. He got his hydration in and a bit of food, walked the course, and warmed up before the 9 AM start. And then they were off!

A group of the "grownup" runners were doing their warmups, and as they ran toward me, I realized that Karin (CNYrunner) was among them! She saw me and then told me that she had seen Will in the youth race a bit farther up on the course and she had shouted, "Go, Will!" Of course, he probably had no idea who she was, but I'm sure he was grateful for the cheering!

So, we stayed for the Women's 5K race and returned the favor by cheering for Karin as she went by!

All in all, it was a great day.

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

Yesterday I did 14 miles at the Bridle Trails while Mr. Blue Eyes did a long bike ride.

The fun thing was a "beer ultra" trail race going on at the same time, on some of the same route I was running.  Hosted at someone's house near the trails, every 5 mile lap you could have a beer, for a total of  6 laps or how ever many you felt like doing.  Several runners erroneously thought I was in the race, and would say "good job" as they passed me!  I was a little bit tempted to follow them to the beer table....but thought better of it.  There was a group of women that passed me twice, they seemed to be having such a good time, chattering away.  Wish I could have kept up to them.

When I got home, I was so tuckered out and in so much pain, mostly my feet.  I am not sure I have ever felt that sore.  I managed not to pop any ibuprofen until bedtime.  I am just so not used to long runs, but have to get at least a few more in before Portland.

Then I made homemade pesto and dough for a pizza.  I put on salami, tomatoes, kalamata olives, a bit of red onion, mozzarella fresca, some more parmesan.  It was really yummy!

Today Mr. Blue Eyes and I went for a short bike ride, 15 miles, so that he could crest 200 miles for the week.

Tomorrow I will rest my legs.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Howdy folks.  MrStarr has NatGeo tv on with a 911 show.  It is hard to believe the horror of that day, but good to remember.  Robin, I will watch that video before I head for bed tonight, which may be soon.  I am getting tired, but not as exhausted as you'd think getting up at 3:30 and everything.   I stayed up later than I had planned. A friend picked up my bib, but I didn't realize she was staying at a hotel in Sioux Falls.  Finally went to bed at 9pm.

MrStarr insisted on going with me even though he didn't really want to.  I left him a race map but he ended up staying at the Arena the whole time. The marathon started at 6:30 and at 6 they had a chapel but I didn't go in because the spectators and runners couldn't go in the same door.  The races all started and ended inside the arena which was nice to have a place to stay warm, although at 57° and clear skies it wasn't too bad. I started out behind the 12:30 pace bunny and stayed with him for quite a while, not really intending too.  We were going faster than 11:27 goal pace most of the first miles.  I struggled up the hills, but didn't walk more than a few yards.  It was fun to hear people actually cheering your name from the personalized bibs!  I liked the bands along the way, but mostly enjoyed the trail by the falls.  Going through downtown, with all the stores closed, uphill and into the wind was probably the low point of the race.  I came up behind a runner that I recognized from Worthington and introduced myself to her. I thought of Jay when I was following a man who looked like he was racewalking (but ahead of me). When I asked him about it he said he didn't know what he was doing, just had a stress fracture this winter.  The finish line reminded me of Omaha with the inside finish line.  I think I prefer being outside.  The concessions weren't all that organized and had quite a line to wait in.  Oh well, at least they hadn't run out!  When you are 1269/1508 runners you never know.

After changing into dry clothes we went to a few stores then had an OK brunch buffet at Granite City.  A bit more shopping (JoAnn Fabrics), then home to get our family reunion organized for next summer. I worked on a couple of quilts, dyed my hair, showered and called the kids.  All in all a greta day!

Half Marathon, Sioux Falls, SD

Official time 2:31:23

Pace:  11:34

Place: 1269/1508

Female: 771/963

Age Group 60-64: 9/16

Next up: Turkey Day 10K; Saturday September 17

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

evanflein

Ended up being a pretty good run for you, Starr! Congrats, and I hope Mr. Starr had an ok time. You really finished very well.

Happy birthday to CNYrunner, thanks for the pictures, Robin! How'd Will do in his race?

Wow, Holly, that's a lot to take on. I was looking at all the info online about shin splints (which I think I have a variation of), and they all say when you start back up, start up gradually. Ha. Well, I think my next "run" will be Equinox, if I do it. Still not sure. Take care, and don't try to push the return to running.

Nice run for you, Enkie! I think I'd be tempted to follow the group to the beer table! Hope your foot is ok.

Jay, that's a great race for you! Wow, I just can't comprehend walking that fast. And like Larry said, you could almost give up the day job!

Pool running today! 1 hour and 10 minutes. Oy, that took some effort. I'm sure hoping this all pays off at some point. The leg is definitely better but not anywhere near healed yet. So, is a DNF better than a DNS?? I'm really trying to weigh my options, and sure don't want to make anything worse, but having a hard time letting go of my Equinox every year thing. This would be #12....