Masters Running

Thursday April 4 Unseasonably Cold Runs (Read 48 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

9.1 miles for me today in 31 degrees.

Looks like the warm up will finally get here this weekend....Smile

Happy Thursday!

ETA - ran farther than planned.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

New skirt in town

7.5 miles for me, with 4 at marathon pace.  Feeling pretty terrific, and this will be my last hard-ish run before Marathon Monday.  From here on in, I will spend all of my time comparing long-range weather forecasts...

--RT

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

7.5 miles for me too, with 5 miles at what is probably a little faster than MP.  (Used to be MP, but isn't now.)  Not unseasonably cold here.  73° at 5:15 AM.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

coastwalker

Mornin' Holly and Robin, and those yet to post.

It's good to have a warm-up to look forward to, Holly! We'll go up a few degrees tomorrow, and then dip back down again for the weekend.

I'm very glad that you're feeling good with your running, Robin! Isn't it a bit early to start looking at the weather for race day? Whatever the forecast is, you know it'll change.

Speaking of weather, there sure was a lot of talk about it (sexy and otherwise and even with photos) on yesterday's daily.

Speaking of talking, I never post anything anywhere on the internet that I wouldn't want to be available for public consumption. There are just too many ways for folks to find their way into places you might think are at least semi-private.

Speaking of posting anything, it's nice that we can mix running with recipes, gardening, work stuff and family stuff here, and even leave the running (or walking) out sometimes without fear of fines. I like that we are a more well-rounded community.

Speaking of running, I did a little of that this morning: 4.5 total miles at 4:20 with 30F temps, clear skies, and a 'slap-in-the-face' breeze. I didn't want to go hard today, so I thought I'd mix it up. So I warmed-up and racewalked the 1st mile, ran the 2nd, racewalked easy for 3 and 4, and then pedaled the metal for the last half. The running was easy, but I was surprised that it took me a while to get back to my racewalking rhythm after the run: everything felt out-of-kilter and awkward. But I eventually got it back, and cruised the rest of the way home.

Have a thrilling Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

Jay - with all that "speaking" you would be a natural in a Toastmasters club.

5.3 miles for me.  25° here.

I'd like to do a little cleaning up and mulching outside over the weekend.  Get it done before things start growing and getting in the way.  But it is my least favorite job around the house so I may find some good excuses to procrastinate.

Big software install tonight.  I'm about as ready as I can be.  So today may be kind of easy just making sure there are no loose ends.

Last year at work when we got new owners was a real roller coaster ride.  High hopes at first, then complete despair Roll eyes but things are going pretty good now.  In the computer area, we've hired some really good quality people and continue to interview more.  One thing that has helped has been my decision to quit complaining (at work) so much.  It makes work more enjoyable (for everyone.)

mta - My comment about complaining at work was in no way triggered by anyone else's comments here on the forum.  When I reread my post I was worried that it would be taken as a backhanded criticism of the recent talk of what is appropriate to post on line.  It was strictly about me.  People where I work were getting into a habit of complaining about every little thing, every time we got together.  I decided to stop joining in and try to push the discussion in the opposite direction when possible.  It is out of character for me to be the "mature one" but once in a while I like to step out of my comfort zone. Joking

mrrun

Running later this afternoon - when it warms up.  Lots of walking on tap with Henry's DD and GS.  last night my DS, DIL &GD came over so we had a wonderful gathering.

Jay - thanks for the recipe. Henry's DD is gluten-free, so I made the cookies yesterday morning and they were eaten!

I also agree about limiting posting - I never posted about my impending retirement on here, because i didn't want it public until I was ready.

Have a wonderful day everyone!

marj

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

I'd like to do a little cleaning up and mulching outside over the weekend.  Get it done before things start growing and getting in the way.  But it is my least favorite job around the house so I may find some good excuses to procrastinate.

Me too Dave, but we still have some snow piles over on this side of the state!!  :-(    My pond did finally thaw enough that I could see if the Koi survived.   I lost one adult and one baby, I think that is okay considering the hard winter.

Enke - you are a saint!!    Rizzo got into my dove dark chocolates a couple of months ago.   Boy was she super hyper for a while!

Out for 3 miles this morning.  I was only going to take Brinkley, but Rizzo was acting spastic so I took on the challenge of 2 dogs.  It really wasn't all that bad and we only walked a couple of times.     I'm ready for spring weather though - 22° on April 4 is a bit crazy!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

King of PhotoShop

Jay, that will be one dollar, for no other reason than that I have the power!

3.3 brisk today.  Going to race a fiveK on Saturday and then that will be it on hard work.  All low mileage though from here to Boston.  Spareribs

TammyinGP

I, too, remember someone being annoyed about anything non-running related over at CR, but can't recall who it was now either. I'm sure that person really disliked me since I had a habit of starting stupid topic conversations about non-related things. I think I recall that person saying something to the effect of not wanting to post there much anymore because there was too much chatter about other stuff and he was only interested in talking about running/training and didn't want to weed through all the superfluous banter.

no running for me today. having some deep tissue work done on my legs in about an hour, then leaving work early for my sons track meet. hopefully the rain we are getting today will lighten up some, but at least it's mild out. could be worse.

have a great day everyone - with all your running related and non-running related endeavors!

Tammy

Jay, that will be one dollar, for no other reason than that I have the power!

Big grin Yes you do Ribs, yes you do.

Quite the difference in temps again today.  Holly running in 31° and Bill's 73° And then there's the Alaska group Wink

I just have to say how much I enjoy reading what my "virtual family" is up to every day. Even when we complain about stuff, I always leave here with a smile on my face. And always words of support and encouragement. You guys are the best.

Good luck with the software install tonight Dave. Hope everything goes exactly the way it's supposed to.

45 minutes of pool running this morning (does anyone else find this incredibly boring???) and 30 minutes swimming laps. Getting that breast stroke refined quite nicely. Then, I stopped and bought a new pair of running shoes - Saucony Mirage 3's. The guy at our local running store said they were a good transition shoe from the more traditional to lighter. Has anyone else run in these?

In the 30's here with a north wind, so yeah, that's unseasonably cold.  Hard to believe I'm drinking hot chocolate!  8 miles with the middle 4 tempo.  My splits are consistent on that part but I was watching my watch so that was probably dumb.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

evanflein

Hey everyone! I have just a quick minute but wanted to share our lovely forecast for today...

Thursday

partlycloudy Partly cloudy. Fog early. High of 30F with a windchill as low as -13F. Winds from the ENE at 5 to 10 mph.

So yes, I'm about as sick of winter as anyone can be, I'd say. Should see temps in the 40's by Monday, but this weekend is supposed to be pretty chilly. I'm so ready for breakup!

So happy to see Mary posting again, and janie b good too! Mary, who is Rizzo? I assume one of your dogs, but I missed the story of how you got him. Still have B'Nellie?

Jlynne, pool running is incredibly boring, but oh-so-good-for-you! I haven't done it in ages but a recent bout of ankle/achilles soreness made me think I should go back to it. Luckily that soreness is fading with new shoes but there was a moment or two...

Speaking of fines (fudge anyone?) and pool running, where is tomwhite??

^5 to all you Boston runners! It's so close! I miss the excitement but not the long winter training prep. Robin, I'll really miss your party this year but sending happy vibes to everyone!

Oh... running... yeah, I ran on the TM on Monday (4.1) and outside on the road in newly un-screwed shoes (old shoes though), 9.2 or something like that. Cold headwind and uphill on the way out (8:30's), tailwind and downhill on the way back (8:05's about) so gotta love that. Last night was colder and still windy so 5.3 on the TM. And here I thought I'd be about done with my TM for the season.... Will run after work again tonight out on the roads. Brrrr!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

So happy to see Mary posting again, and janie b good too! Mary, who is Rizzo? I assume one of your dogs, but I missed the story of how you got him. Still have B'Nellie?

Thanks Erika!   I forgot how uplifting this place is hanging out with all of you!    Rizzo is a new female that we got out of Arizona last October.   She's quite the smart one and SO full of puppy mischief.    We still have all the others, including B'Nellie.   :-)

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                            It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

janie b good

I just have to say how much I enjoy reading what my "virtual family" is up to every day. Even when we complain about stuff, I always leave here with a smile on my face. And always words of support and encouragement. You guys are the best.

^ ditto!

3.1 miles for me today.  first outside run since getting over upper respiratory/sinus infection.  my lungs did not like the 40* weather!

goodness is its own reward; for more tangible outcomes, you need to try badness.

I, for one, am glad we talk about more than running.  Running may have brought us together and it's neat to talk about our mutual interest /addiction.  However, if all we talked about was our running, we'd just be running acquaintances.  As it is we're running friends, maybe even a running family.

hopeful, it's neat you'll be having a grandkid in a couple of months.

Nice long runs for Mike, Tramps, and Twocat.

This morning, it  was in the mid to high 20s and there was some wind.  I got in 8 miles at a 10:51 pace.

Most afternoons, I go to the local coffee shop to sit around with a group of other old guys, swap lies, pick on each other, and complain about anything we can think of.  The temperature is up to at least 50 and it's sunny.  I just may check the air in my bike tires and pedal  the mile into town.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS