Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 1.18.18 (Read 37 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

I may be out of line saying this,

Now Leslie, we have known each other far too long to worry about such things.  Not to worry, and yes, I totally agree.  Fortunately, as you said, we have some time to prepare, and with an upcoming tax return, the sale of DS's Explorer and DH's Mountaineer, and supposedly a bonus coming from work, our savings should be out of the critical and back to a more safe-feeling level by then.  Any luck on the transcription marketing ideas, btw?  I googled "transcription jobs from home" and saw some possibly promising sites.

Bioguy - I think bringing earbuds and listening to music might help me.  My whole body is clenched for the whole time and I am so tense I am exhausted afterward.  I think the sounds are the worst part sometimes.

Anyone seen the new Spiderman Homecoming movie?  If so, can you just tell me if it has a good ending?  After the last one, I swore I would never watch another Spiderman movie because they all have such sad endings.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I think bringing earbuds and listening to music might help me.  My whole body is clenched for the whole time and I am so tense I am exhausted afterward.  I think the sounds are the worst part sometimes.

Or maybe a nice, soothing muscle relaxer. 

I've only just begun trying to figure out the 'net search for transcription work, etc.  I'm clueless, so it's going to take some time . . .

I'm having a ceremonial burning of the crutches this weekend.  Anybody wanna join me??

My affection for my podiatrist is right up there with my affection for my chiropractor.  He spent at least half an hour with me.  Short story - get another x-ray because by now if there had been a stress fracture it'll the healing, but no need for an MRI; more likely ligament issues, definitely nerve issues, let's do some PT to try and calm things down and strengthen things back up, and start working back into a regular exercise routine.

Oddly enough, he said if I can get on an evil-liptical and some of the sensations I have been having increase, that'll help give a more definitive answer.  Also said that me heavily favoring my left side during my 8-month bursitis party could definitely have been a factor 'cause, you know, it's all related, one way or 'nother.

Feels weird to walk on my left leg.  Definitely will need to work on strengthening for it.

Okay - Back to your regularly scheduled broadcast ~~~

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Yes Bill and Jay PEX is the only way to go, I cut the lines then shoved a couple of quick connect ball valves on. Now it will sit until I'm ready to remodel the bath out there. Back to shorts weather, got a little over 4 in and actually started my new years resolution of working out at least 30 minutes 2 times a week.

C-R

PEX and ball valves. Now we're talking my kinda stuff.

Hang in there Holly. Can't add much to others but having your teeth fixed should be a long term priority. Costs will work out. Quality of life in my mind.

So I joined a group of runners who get together for something called Hills for Dinner. They are mostly tri types who also are big into crossfit. And there's only one other person my age. I love the workouts as they are different and help with things I usually ignore - you know cross training. Tonight was pretty fun. We did 15x 200m hill sprints with 10 push ups at the top with a 3/4 mile warm up and cool down run and at the end 9 sets of varying exercises from burpees, jump squats, planks and the like. I may be feeling this one tomorrow but its nice to mix it up.

Well back to get some work stuff done.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, fortunately Snowpacalypse II was pretty much a bust here.  Charlotte got 6 to 7 inches....we got a dusting.  Works for me.  Still got cold last night.  I ran late this afternoon and got in 8 miles, just under 8:30 pace.

Opus, welcome back!  Were you able to see N8 (assuming you were close to there)?  No date yet.....but some news.  As is typically the case with reserve PCS moves, nothing is firm until you have orders in hand.  We'll talk soon.

Holly, none of my business but FWIW I'd be driving DW to the dentist.  And full disclosure, would be telling her not to worry about it if it were my teeth (and she'd drug me and take me to the dentist).  Will be curious if the music helps.  I tense up just for a cleaning and the folks there really do a good job so it's pretty irrational on my part.

RunnerKSA, glad the trip back was uneventful.

Have a great night everyone!

7.1 @ 8:24

It rained a bit today and was drizzling when I ran. I took along my rain jacket but took it off after the first mile because I got too hot. It balls up into it's own pocket about half the size of a water bottle so it's not too inconvenient to carry.

Holly; as an experienced dental patient, I always take my MP3 player and headphones. I started many, many years ago with a Sony Walkman. Other than some bad needlework, or the time when I got a root canal and they had to put the needle directly into the main nerve (and then no more pain forever), I've never had much pain. But the sound of the drill will tense me up, so I drown it out with music. I tell my dentist to tap me on the arm if they need me to hear something. I've almost fallen asleep a few times.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I would rather be punched in the gut than have that drill thing hit a nerve on my tooth.  I am the biggest baby when it comes to the dentist.  If Debbie didn't make me go twice a year, I would probably never go.

I went 7 easy miles after work.

Okay--that's all I got.  See ya!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

"Hills-for-Dinner" - love it, . . . or at least would have until five-or-six years ago. After 7,608 up-and-down Konpira Shrine's 1,268 stairs six times  in different Japanese sandals, and not, and 7,000 in three-and-a-half hours at the main promenade at Osaka Station, call me "Stairs-for-Dinner."

Teeth - Holly - sounds like this year is your turn after the was-it-two procedures DH had last year.  
                  Holly/bioG - I’ve been accused of sometimes being insensitive but, unlike you guys, I made up for it when the dozen or so novocaine/Novocain injections wouldn’t take on a big, bad, abscessed back molar so wimped out for anesthesia. Highly recommended. Fortunately, too far back to matter so no implant, etc. needed.  Was ibt erika’s gramma who never used pain killer at all?.

garbage-collecting five miles
                  five morning miles across a windy bridge full of debris from the light rail construction that’s usurped the middle express lane and turned the out-and-back outer lanes from three laners to four lanes bringing trucks, buses, speeding cars, etc. and their splashing water making a very real backwash over the three feet of the waist high pedestrian barrier.  So much fun, did it again on the way back with storm clouds closing in, adding a full garbage sack of debris to the smaller morning one. It was easy to ignore it when running across but can’t ignore when walking so take a shelf grabber along and pick up as much as possible.  Lot of “thanks” from the cyclists.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Was ibt erika’s gramma who never used pain killer at all?.

Nope, that was my MIL who raised her own money for her tonsillectomy, and didn't want to spend extra for anesthesia so went without. She's way tougher than I, that's for sure. She's also setting state swimming records in her 80's now.

Starr, I just love that picture of Amy and yes, I miss her too! Anyone hear from her recently? Haven't seen her on FB or anywhere. Might have to send an e-mail... or have DH reach out to her DH. Thanks for the PictureTrail link, I might try that. Tired of the Photobucket BS and copying the photo location from FB doesn't seem to work on the Mac.

Love to hear about all your running and other stuff. I'm running vicariously thru you guys these days. Last run was Sunday, after that just elliptical and rest days. Right shin is alarmingly sore, to the point I'm suspecting a stress fracture. In typical Norwegian fashion, I've been taking the "it's not that bad" approach, but not running (because, basically, I can't). I'll give it a week and if not better make the dreaded appointment with the ortho. At least I won't have to wait as long as Leslie, but it's still a step I'd rather not take.

2.75 miles on a weird elliptical machine tonight in 27:05, then some planks and core stuff.