Masters Running

Tuesday, 10.18.16 (Read 33 times)

I haven't run this week...low motivation, and crappy weather.

I am thinking about becoming a US citizen just so I can vote and cancel out my son's vote!...he is becoming a little Alex P Keaton!  But I have heard different things about having to give up Canadian citizenship if I become an American citizen.  Does the US still not recognize dual citizenship?  On a weird note, MBE's daughter recently joined the Navy.  Her Dad, MBE, recently applied for and got Canadian citizenship, only via his Dad who was born in Canada.  MBE himself has never lived there.  So his daughter, because her father has Canadian citizenship, had to send a registered letter to Canada (even though she has never applied for Canadian citizenship) saying she gives up the right to EVER apply for Canadian citizenship, because this is a requirement for joining the US Navy.  Sounds crazy, right?  She's American.  Who cares that her father is dual Canadian/American?  And why does she have to give up that right for life?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

evanflein

Henry, I hope you have a speedy and uneventful recovery. Do well at the PT and do what they say! You've been waiting for this for so long, and we're all excited to see you back out there!

Stumpy, best wishes for your DW. Is she getting the same thing?

Amy, are you hurt or just taking it easy?

I'd hate to think what my grandmother would say to me if I decided to not vote. I think I've missed one local election in the last 15 years or so, and no national elections. My mom was in League of Women Voters for so many years, that right is just ingrained in us kids I think. (and yes, Jlynne, I agree, he nails that impersonation!!!)

No heat wave here, but certainly not as cold as it could be. And no snow yet! We are close to pushing a record for no measurable snowfall yet. We've had snow in the past that melted and then we were "brown" this late, but we haven't had any snow yet and that's unusual. The last two days have been incredibly windy and that made running not much fun. But today was clear, sunny, no wind and mid-30's. If you dress for it, it was IRC! I ran 6.6 miles at the end of the work day.

[MTA: Enke, that just sounds crazy....]

Rest day for me

I didn't run today either because I had a R knee replacement yesterday.

So glad that you checked in!

Healing vibes to Kevin's DW

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I am thinking about becoming a US citizen 

go for it enke, . . . as long as you're not going to join the Navy.

Maybe check with henry first as it seems dual citizenship is allowed

by both the U.S. and Canada but not by the Armed Services.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

ps jay - thanks for the kind tide reminder.

GS was on a teachers' in-house workshop today but the super low tides

were both in the dark in the morning and evening, respectively. Maybe November when I might be back.

pps erika - GS-land just had five inches of snow over the weekend

when I was running in the rain in Portland.

First time in 76 years to beat fairbanks in that department.

No contest on the temps though.

Image result for juneau alaska snow october 16 2016 images

https://japan.usembassy.gov/e/acs/tacs-7118.html
          Introduction
          The Supreme Court of the United States has stated that dual nationality is "a status long recognized in the law" and that "a person may have and exercise rights of nationality in two countries and be subject to the responsibilities of both. The mere fact that he [sic] asserts the rights of one citizenship does not without more mean that he renounces the other" (see Kawakita v. U.S., 343 U.S. 717 [1952] ).

Current Law and Policy
          United States law does not contain any provisions requiring U.S. Citizens who are born with dual nationality or who acquire a second nationality at an early age to choose one nationality or the other when they become adults (see Mandoli v. Acheson, 344 U.S. 133 [1952] ). The current nationality laws of the United States do not specifically refer to dual nationality.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

Individually, our votes may not change the outcome of an election. However, collectively they determine the direction of our local, county, state and federal governments. So, in that respect they are never wasted, and even a vote for a candidate who can't win still sends a message. Beside that, if you don't vote, you can't complain about the outcome. And I never want to give up my right to complain!

Jay

Nailed it.

Thank you for the update Henry.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

Her Dad, MBE, recently applied for and got Canadian citizenship, only via his Dad who was born in Canada.  MBE himself has never lived there.  

Did MBE give up his US citizenship in favor of the Canadian citizenship, or is he keeping both?  And why did he want the Canadian citizenship?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly, MBE did not give up his US citizenship.  I have no idea why he got the Canadian one, other than he could, so he did it.  He does joke about us running away to Canada someday, and living on Vancouver Island.

Thanks for the information, Tet.  MBE swears I have to give up my Canadian citizenship to become an American, then reapply for it.  He has some German friends that had to do something like that, but maybe that was a German rule.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."