Masters Running

How has your garden grown? (Read 203 times)

SteveP

DW and I planted a modest garden, as did DD#1 and SIL.

Even after sharing, we had a surplus. We got ahold of a local shelter. Their fresh food donations were down quite a lot.

If any other gardening runners have excess, make a calll to "meals on wheels", your local shelter or what ever.

DW and I made a number of calls. We've had produce dropped at our place and I've taken it in. With radio stations getting the word out, our local shelter's shelvews are now "plentiful".

Each of us can make a little difference. Together we can make a big one.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #3309

I don't have a garden, but wanted to say.......thanks Steve, as that is such a great idea. People like you my Friend, is what makes the World a better place to live!

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

TammyinGP

That's great Steve! We have a program here in our area that's called "Plant a Row" - gardeners plant  row of whatever and that row gets donated to the local food shelters. I've seen quite a few homes as I'm out running that have these small 8x10 signs in their yards that say "Plant a Row" so I can see that this program is gaining popularity.

I actually planted what I thought would be an abundant garden, but we hit our hottest temps for about 3 wks straight in mid July (100+ temps) and for a week of that we were gone. My dad stayed at our place while we were away, but I don't think he was as generous with watering as I tend to be, so I lost most of my garden. I've done okay on tomatos and I still have a long row of beets to harvest and can. I replanted pole beans a few wks ago and I'm still picking some cucs and squash. that's about it.

Tammy

#artbydmcbride

Tomatos and jalepenos.

I'll plant more next year, this year I'm eating it all!  

Runners run

Good idea. I got as far as tilling it. Then I couldnt plant due to leg pain. THen I tilled it again only for the leg pain to come back. Now its growing grass as well as my backyard. Oh well. Theres always next year.

Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Manchild

Tomatoes, cukes, zuchini, eggplant, pumpkin/cantalope(???), lettuce

zuchinis flourished early then got bonked by slugs, tomatoes have struggled...Big plants but alot of fruit going bad on the vine . They seem to be making a comeback.  Cukes were great.  As was lettuce, nearly the whole season..

I gave alot of surplus to my neighbors and especially my sister....