Masters Running

Saturday streaking, running and not - 7/23/16 (Read 34 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Most would call it blackberry picking but I’m now on a nine day running streak so it was two miles of running between filling up a ziplock from patches along the way. Even more regard for perchie’s 12-year streak, ribsie’s fifty years or more of running, and the monthly 300-milers.

Wishing ziggie 75 or more miles of fun.
    Good luck on somebody’s 11th triathlon and eleventh swim in the last eleven years, especially with a one-half mile sprint distance this time being twice as long as any of the others which were all quarter-mile super-sprints. I’d be worried but there’s plenty of rescue canoe all along the out-and-back in Lake Washington, . . . I think, . . . . glug, glug.
    Weekend DL
    A. Non-running
    . . 1. Rosie - hip
    . . 2. Henry - knee
    . . 3. Holly - hamstring
    . . 4. MikeE - hamstring
    B. Running DL
    . . 1. TomW - pool-running / fly fishing
    . . 2. Twocat - big toe
    . . 3. Erika - foot
    . . 4. Mariposie - miscellaneous
    (updates needed)

Is cecil back to running?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Don't drown Tet,

Or get a belly ache from to many berries . Hope there is no such distractions along the course tomorrow or your victory picture could show black lips from the stains.

I got in 5.5  tempo ish miles (8.5 minute miles)  for me anyway before it got to hot today. I did buy some new shoes yesterday after my issues on my last long run I figured I better before my next one. I switched out to the Saucony Eshelon 5 s. Much wider toe box  so hopefully this will take care of my issues. Also they have more cushion than I normally need but I have been having more discomfort in my forefoot area. I read an article a while back that said as we age we lose fat and cushioning in thT area so I guess  I could use some more in my shoe. Unlike my friend who just fattens up his feet on berries us mortals require some extra cushion from our shoes I guess.

good racing for those racing and training runs for the ones not on the DL.

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Mariposai

Tetsujin, I am good, take me out of the DL list.

Enjoy the blackberry picking. We are going huckleberries picking today.

No running yet, but will run in the woods later.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

...tet//.......add me to

the Everything But Running (EBR) List....

.........My Life

has been threatened by my wife and my hip doctor if they catch me doing it....

I may never see the Doctor again              (ok, actually next month)

but

I tend to run into Pickles on a Regular Basis

I like to think

of myself

as a ''Horrible Example'' to Other Runners

===========

...but I digress.......

100-degrees with Heat Index

50-min BikeRide with hills,

at the lowest gear setting

for difficulty

..........good running guys..............mind your Hip, Knees, Ankles, Back, and Other Bodily Parts

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

I think it's been a week since I've posted.  I've been occupied with grandkid babysitting, wife's doctor appointment in Ann Arbor, and working my semiannual stint at the running store shoe sale for a couple days.  Thursday, the first day of the sale, the store sold over 6000 pairs of shoes plus lots of other running apparel.  At the busiest time of the day, they had 140 people working in the store.  Even though I've done this for nine sales, I can hardly believe how big the sale is.

Today, I did an 8K race.  I think it's my 16th consecutive year for it.  The temp was in the mid to high 70s and it was almost calm.  The course was on paved and dirt roads with some hills.  My GPS gave me a time of 57:43, distance of 5.01 miles, and pace of 11:31.  I was 36/41 OA and 1/1 in my AG (70+).  I was the oldest in the race by 10 years.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

...Nice Racing tselbs.........

and

I'm sure they MEANT to say ''Most Distinguished In The Race by 10-Years''

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

I tried to post yesterday but RA was down.  Well, no time like the present!

tetsujin209 and Mariposai I love blackberries, blueberries, huckleberries, you name it! Send some my way. We got none to pick out my way.  Well, maybe not holly berries. Just not into poisonous berries I guess. 

I went to the race start today. Thinking my toe was pretty close to all better. But walking to the start I decided it was not really 100%. The race does not mean much and I figured it was better to be safe than sorry. If I were to aggravate it again and lose another week I would have been really ticked at myself. This way, hopefully it feels better tomorrow and I start running again.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

evanflein

Nice racing, tselbs! Good to see you still showing the youngsters how to do it.

Probably smart, twocat. Especially if the race doesn't mean much to you.

I didn't run today, either. I wanted to, but by the time I got around to really thinking about it, the rain had started up again and my foot was sore. So bleh, I didn't. I did get a lot of stuff done around the house though, and read some of my book so it's just as well. Tomorrow morning I'll go to my race, and unlike twocat, I'll do it no matter what. There might be lots of walking involved, but I'll get it done. With all the rain we've had it'll be a total mudfest anyway for the first 8 miles. DH will meet me at the trailhead where the pavement begins with dry shoes, but it'll be a struggle to the end anyway, I'm sure. Oh well, just hope I don't set myself back too far in recovery.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Good call on the big toe two cat.
                    Good call on the foot erika.

OT triathlon panic/panic/panic.

As for tomorrow’s triathlon that’s getting me more-and-more worried, same as a comfortable saddle is as essential as strong legs for a good cycling leg, even a good swimmer can be foiled by leaking goggles so I checked out my goggles last used in last year’s August triathlon tonight down to make sure they were still leakproof and, with lugubrious lubrications of anti-fog spary, won’t cloud over when I’m out in the middle of Lake Washington my own. 
                    At 7:47 a.m., the 50-and-over wave is 23nd out of 25 into the water almost an hour-and-a-half after the Olympic distance elites start at 6:30 a.m.  Even though the Olympic sprint is a full mile, they’ll all be done before we 50-plusers even start on our one-half mile version. 
                    In this regard, I used to love the butterflies in my stomach and uncertainty of marathons in those days when I only ran one-a-year on little or no training except being in shape from winter skiing and, later, even scarier for ultras that I had no idea if I could finish or not but nothing like standing waist-deep in a lake or the ocean shore wondering if I can deep water swim out to the middle and back for triathlon swims up to 2.4 miles I used to be able to do in those days. 
                    I sure can’t do it anymore and, with only one-quarter mile swims to my credit in one super-spring triathlon a year in eleven years ever since 2005, tomorrow’s one-half mile is extremely  marginal.  Fortunately, the Seafair Triathlon has the following unusual provision for people who think they can do things they shouldn’t be doing:
                    (i)f an athlete cannot complete the swim course,
                    upon notifying a course monitor, she/he may continue on the bike
                    and run courses.  However, they will not qualify for age group awards.” 
                    Whew.
                    HELP!!!!!!!

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good luck tet and Erika!

Made it to Cancun.  Can hardly post on this device, but at least I can read of your adventures...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Good luck tet!  Have fun!