Masters Running

30th annual Bridge of Flowers 10k (Read 273 times)

30th annual Bridge of Flowers 10k Shelburne Falls, MA 2-mile race at 8:20 AM 10k at 9:00 AM (one of the USATF New England grand prix series) Shelburne Falls is about 25 miles north of where I live in Northampton, MA. It’s a sweet town known for its Bridge of Flowers and close to ski areas, tubing, great kayaking and the like. Bill Cosby also maintains a home here. The town has its share of pottery places, yoga studios, places for fine coffee, and the general store types of places you would expect of New England 100 years ago. This 10k race is known for attracting a speedy crowd from all over the country. No chip timing or fancy registration, yet elites from Ethiopia and Kenya can be seen striding out next to the 30 year clubbers who are happy just to finish. This race is also known for the infamous Crittenden Hill that greets you soon after the 2-mile mark and rises at an 11% grade with switchbacks for almost a mile. The speediest will walk-run this creature and then fly down the other side. The first three miles is far hillier than the last 3.2 where you can fly if your quads aren’t completely fried. I ran this two years ago when I was getting back into more structured and serious training. This time I was hoping for a faster day even with increased mileage and no tapering. I also ran for the Greater Springfield Harriers today so that the masters women’s team would have deeper points. There are speedy women on this team as the 1 and 2 scoring ladies are 47 and 46 respectively and run 2:50-3:00 marathons. I was flattered to be included. I love being on teams and felt a different kind of pressure---a responsibility to run strong the whole way. You need five to score in the open division and three in the masters division. Today dawned sunny and cool, so I was very happy at six AM as I sat on the deck with some coffee. Dr. J was the driver and we departed at seven AM. Her nine year-old twin sons, a friend who works at one of the running shoe stores in town and a new friend completed our merry band. Registration was in the Shelburne Falls Community Center and many runners were milling about when we arrived. Dr. J and I are both pretty blind without our glasses, so I decided to wear my prescription sunglasses so we could find the right table and get the boys all set. We got our numbers and I checked in with the team coordinator to make sure my USATF number would reflect team status. We jogged off to the start of the 2-mile race with the boys fretting the whole way. The 2-mile race and the 10k start off from the steel bridge next to the Bridge of Flowers. The latter is too narrow and fragile to deal with so many runners, but it’s beautiful and the gazillion pots of flowers on the bridge were in full bloom. Rory and Ethan made it to the start just in time and they scampered by us. Good thing as Rory won his age group in 14:34 for a 7:17 pace and Ethan was third in 15:28 for 7:44 pace-----they both snagged medals and had their pictures taken atop an Olympic like podium. Cool! Coolrunning has their names reversed in the results and I am sure there is some yelling at their house now. Sibling rivalry! They are fraternal twins, so it’s not that they look alike. Then it was time for the 10k racers to line-up. Everyone started migrating over to the bridge to get a good position. I lined up with the 7-minute group and chatted a bit with folks around me. There were lots of high school cross-country runners there as well as the usual speedy locals and the throngs from the Greater Boston Track Club and the BAA. A nice tenor version of the national anthem was sung and then cowbells marked the start of the race. I didn’t want to weave a lot at the start and just moved to the edge and tried to find my race bubble. Mile 1-----7:10---not what I expected as I didn’t feel as if I was going that fast and I shuffled for a bit until I could get some space at the start. I felt light and fast, so I told myself to try and hold this. Mile 2-----14:18 (7:08)---feeling good and used a small downhill to fly a bit and settle my form (I tend to let my shoulders and arms get too high and I have been working on trying the Ryan Hall arm swing---yeah right, but I can try!) I come up behind a local woman who holds all the records in town (she’s 53) and runs for the Central Mass Striders. I think she must have had an off day, because I go by her and she doesn’t respond. I also think: “What the hell am I doing passing her”! Mile 3----22:58 (8:50 mile) Yes, this was the Crittenden Hill mile. I tried to relax as much as possible and not strain up the hill, I picked up a lot of places and just tried to make progress. There is no point trying to rock such a steep hill.” Hold form Karin. Dang my quads hurt. Wow there’s another local speedster and an Ironman athlete to boot----Match her shoulders” Mile 4---29:58 (7:00)---Ahhhh! Payoff downhill and shade for the most part here. I tried not to brake too much and leaned forward a bit to take advantage of the momentum without running like Bill the Cat with my arms and legs flailing. Those who know me will tell you that ballet or anything with much hand eye coordination is a spectacle when I partake. I can even make yoga look crazy. Anyway…this was a good mile and gave me confidence. At this point you start to double back to get to town and can see others roaring down the hill. Mile 5---37:13 (7:15)----zoned out a bit and had to be stern with myself---“Wake up Doofus----You need to do a good job for your team and this is NOT time to get passed by all those you passed earlier”. I was fatigued here, but determined. Finish time on my watch 45:05 (Official time 45:23---I pushed it and tried to pick it up a bit back over the bridge and into the finish). I heard my name being announced and that helped me focus. I grabbed water and went off in search of Dr. J. I saw our friend from the running store in the chute and then cheered for Dr J as she headed to the finish in 50:44---great stuff! She was on call today and praying that the Franklin County Medical Center wouldn’t need her services. Yikes! No beeper ringing and all was well. We met up with the twins who were waiting with a friend and went down to the refreshment area---watermelon, bananas, water, sports drinks, soda, soy burgers, yogurt, cookies and more cookies. Fashion: black singlet and black shorts, forgot the hat so the white streak at my part is even whiter after all the sun, regular trainers----no flats on this hilly course. I never did connect with Flyin Hawaaiin and I am sorry about that, but left her a message. I am hoping I’ll meet you at another race Flyin!. I am pleased as this was not a target race and not a PR course. I ran a 48:00 (7:44 pace) on this course in 2006, so I know I am getting to where I need to be as far as the October marathon. The desire to race each race faster is always huge for me and that isn’t always possible. I am having fun these days and getting faster again in my forties is a kick. Dr. J and I ran a mile before the race and then three afterwards to make this a 10.2 mile day all in all. Official time: 45:23 Overall place: 237/734 Age Group place: 8/37 I was 4th man in the open team standings and we finished 4th and I was third man on the masters team and we were third there. Woo hoo! Male winner: Genn Tufa 24 years old from the Bronx, NY in 31:06 (5:01 pace---has a PR of 28 something) Female winner: Buzhnesh Tarekgn 28 years old from the Bronx, NY 35:58 (5:49 pace ---has a PR of 33 something) Check out the finish line photo on http://www.coolrunning.com/results/08/ma/Aug9_30thAn_set1.shtml and you’ll see how close the men’s race was as it looks like 1 and 2 are breaking the tape together. Thanks for reading! CNYrunner/Karin MTA: correct link
    wildchild

Carolyn

Sounds like a fun day, with Dr J and her kids. You sure are fast - even uphill! Thanks for the report.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

Holy carp that female overall winner is fast! (Well, so is the male overall, but we're not in that group!) You did really well on this course, sounds like that hill is something to really deal with. Good job, Karin. And yes, isn't it fun to get faster in your 40's? As I push up to 50 it's even more fun to set PR's, so you're getting ready for some really good times!!
        Henrun

Karin, enjoyed your report and congrats on a good race. When we did it a few years ago it was hot and humid. It's a challenging enough race without the added heat. Hope we see you in New Haven.
          DickyG

Official time: 45:23 Overall place: 237/734 Age Group place: 8/37
            Great race, Karin...I expected no less from you. I think your 8:50 time on the monster hill was the highlight of your report for me..that took a lot of stamina and will power. Congrats... DickyG
              Good job, CNY. Dr J's twins did well and deserve kudos. You and your team had great results, too. Congratulations. TomS
                wooohoooo Karin -- you are one speedy lady!! nice job!!

denise

HermosaBoy

That Crittenden Hill mile must be a beast. GREAT racing!!! Big grin

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

busiman

Running out of mistakes!

Congratulations Karin...That is such a great time on a very tough course!
                    -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
                    also on Twitter

King of PhotoShop

This is a punishing course for a tenK. Given your conditioning, I am eager to see what you can do at this distance on a fairer course. But it sounds like you used the race for what it was intended for, a good sharp workout, and you did very well. There is no training experience quite like racing. You will have an awesome fall. Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

Excellent race and report, Karin! Getting faster in your forties is awesome, and you're already so fast! Since we're the same age, you inspire me to think I might have PRs left to find. Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Karin, I thought I saw a black flash with blond hair speed past me at one point. That must have been you. Great time. I got announced as I crossed the line too but by that time you were probably home and showered. lol. Sorry I missed meeting up with you. There are more races still to come. We'll meet up then. Great race report. Laurie 1:05, slower than I ran it last year and felt like I was beat by a baseball bat when I finished.

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Nice race! Sounds like you powered up that hill....That sounds like my downhill pace... Smile I think the 40's are a great decade!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

That Crittenden Hill mile must be a beast. GREAT racing!!! Big grin
                              I have been there, and can confirm you are correct, sir! WHOOSH! You ARE a streak, Karin. Congrats! (Not a streaker, now, that's how rumours get started Wink) I agree with Ribs and look forward to more fantastic reports. grins, A
                              Masters 2000 miles
                                Greta race on one hulluva tough course Karin! I really enjoyed your race report especially how you had to pull yourself out of that funk zone during mile 5...kind reminded me of well me...DOH!! Wink Once again congrats and you really rock!