Masters Running

Sun Aug 23 Runs and Workouts (Read 338 times)

Maniac 505

slogged through 15 miles this AM,  packing for a week in Vegas.

Thanks Holly.

Erika, I don't have a headlamp.  I've gotten very used to running in the dark.  (Some of the streets are lit but not all.)

15 miles this morning at an easy-paced 9:26.  Kept the HR in check till it started to rise the last 2 miles.  6 to 7 miles this evening.  As I was walking afterwards to cool down, I noticed the normal squish, squish of my shoes.  Nothing unusual about that.  But I looked down and actually could see the water coming out the sides of the shoes. 

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

evanflein

Our roads and trails around here are too uneven to run in the dark, at least for me. I'd trip and stagger all over. That's also why I wait till mid-day to run my long runs in the winter.

Nice run there, Holly. And I agree on the hill run home messing up pace goals. I frequently stop at the bottom of my road to check my pace and see how my run went. Then the next 2.2 miles slow the average down quite a bit.

I ran 37:21 for the 8k this morning, which is 41 seconds slower than last year but still good enough for 4th female overall and 1st in AG. We got to pick our own prize and I picked two tickets to the opera next Friday. Turns out DH will have his office's supervisor in town so he can't go. Rats. 

Not too many people at this race, a lot of the fasties didn't run. Perhaps because the rescheduled date was a conflict? Don't know. The day turned out to be just about perfect, sunny with some clouds, temps in the high 50's, no wind. Would've been perfect without the gnats! OMG, I was covered in the little bugs by the time I finished and had them in my eyes, too. Ick. It takes so long to get this race wrapped up and do the awards, that I had time for the rest of my long run after the race. So... 1.2 mile warm up, 5 mile (8k) race, then 8.1 after for just under 14.3 for the day, and 44.7 for the week. This was a cutback week, and I was actually hoping for a couple more miles out of it, but oh well, I think I needed it.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy Sunday afternoon.

PDR and WRFB--everyone looks very happy and baby Nate looks like he's taking everything in stride.  Congrats again.

Enke--Happy Anniversary.  Hope the trip (and gift) went well.

Lots of fast 10 milers and good, long runs.  Sounds a lot cooler out in the mid-west--hope it shows up here.

Not much cooler here this morning, but less humid.  Did 4.25 with about .4  of walking/cooldown.  The first 3.1 was almost exactly what I did my 5K in last week.  which may explain why I didn't get anywhere near the 5 I wanted for the day.  Most of the run shirtless, but I didn't get any feedback like Nono--go figure.

I passed a trio of women in my 3rd mile and at least one of them was a serious triathlete, judging by their chat (as I was struggling to stay near 10's)  They must have been talking about a transition--the rough quote of what I heard was "  she stopped right in front of me, so I ran her over"  Another one who trains in the Econo methods, I would say

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

King of PhotoShop

You think our Bill is dangerous in Florida?  How about when he travels to the NE?  This from Yahoo News today, showing once again how fast and powerful Bill is:

EDGARTOWN, Mass. – A rogue wave from Bill swept spectators out to sea at a Maine park Sunday as the storm-churned surf attracted onlookers and daredevils along the Eastern Seaboard.

Five people were swept into the ocean after an early afternoon crowd had gathered on some rocks at Acadia National Park when the wave washed over them. Two were recovered, and the Coast Guard and search crews are looking for the three others.

"This is absolutely the effects of Bill" coupled with the effect of high tide, park ranger Sonya Berger said.

Bill was also blamed for the death of a 54-year-old swimmer who was killed Saturday in Florida. Volusia County Beach Patrol Capt. Scott Petersohn said Angel Rosa of Orlando was unconscious when he washed ashore in rough waves fueled by Bill at New Smyrna Beach along the central Florida coast. He was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Lifeguards there also rescued a handful of other swimmers believed to have suffered spinal injuries.

The center of the hurricane was about 400 miles west-southwest of Newfoundland late Sunday afternoon, according to the National Hurricane Center. Its maximum sustained winds had dropped to 75 mph, and it was moving northeast at 35 mph. The storm is expected to continue to weaken as it moves over cooler waters.

In Canada, the hurricane was expected to bring up to 7 inches of rain to Nova Scotia and was expected to approach southeast Newfoundland by Sunday night."   Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

Erika - 1st AG - sweet!

I just bought my plane ticket to Boston.  I know, super early, but right now DH is working some overtime so we had the money, and I got a good deal (I got suckered in with that "only 3 tickets left at that price").  I'm arriving at 6:30 Saturday night, leaving 11:30 Tuesday.  Btw, I'm a quiet roommate, so no worries when you need to nap to adjust to the time change.  My sympathies to you there.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

dg.

Young, Nathan is adorable.  great pictures.

Erika, congatulations!    .. what is it with gnats & eyes?  I hate that.

Kevin, nice 5K+.    

Econo... maybe you should patent that.

geez Bill. 

but nice 15 miler. hope the second chunk goes well.   ...  water coming out of your shoes?? 

happy anniversary Enke.  :-)

Mariposai

37 for an 8k is wonderful!. Congrats on your 1AG Erika.

6 miles at a Ga pace for me with Sans Souci. We are sure having lots of fun.

dg, not on-call this weekend, but my turn will come again. Just the nature of my work.

Great runs everyone.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

SteveP

I agree with TomS. Greta people in the forum.

SteveP

Slo

Erika

Great race with excellent results....Congrats on the AG Win.

Renee the dog

Holly great workout and great going getting your ticket to Boston!!!!!  That's kewl. 

Did 20 min. of hard slide boarding after my nap (yes, I did get one!).  Then, I went out for 5 more miles at base pace (around 9:30-9:45 pace).  Now I'm all caught up from yesterday's bug.  Whew!

Evanflein, that's a rough way to get an AG win -- running the gnat gauntlet.  Ugh.  But, as my 5 yr. old would say, "You're a tough chick."    Congratulations!!!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

One of the problems with running late down here in the Summer is the ever-present pssoibility of rain and thunderstorms.  I tried to go out for Part 2 of my LR double, but 1/2 mile out the ominous thunder had me backtracking.  Too close for comfort.

So no double today, but I tried.  Not worth getting zapped.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

WTG Erika!

Boston planning.. exciting!

Today's run beat me up... I fought the hills and the hills won! Very hilly route. First hills in months. Very wasted by mile 10 after a mile uphill.  12.5 miles in 1:53:06 (9:02 pace, AHR 159) Walked during water drinking every 2 miles (that just slowed the average pace!). Still wasted at the end!  Cut short from 16 mi planned....but good workout!... and no knee issues!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

wildchild

Carolyn

I agree with Holly and Erika that hills mess up your pacing, but this time of year, I have nowhere else to run.  My mile splits are all over the place and my average pace is terrible, but the hills have to be good training anyway. At least that's what I tell myself.  I wonder how fast I could run on flat ground at sea level?  When the weather cools off I'll be running relatively flat trails at lunchtime near work, and my pace will improve significantly.

Cute baby pictures!  Do they have a nickname for little Nate Jr. to keep from confusing him with his dad? 

Erika, I don't run in the dark here, either, for the same reasons as you.  Our roads are too rocky and uneven, and even with a headlamp I'd probably break an ankle.  I also worry about the bears and mountain lions, although I guess they could also be a problem during daylight. At least I'd see 'em coming!

I had a crappy run tonight. The weather was fine, 65° and overcast, but I felt crampy and hormonal and sluggish.  I ran with the dogs for 3 miles, then back out for another 3, but it was "pathetically slow" - 12:15 avg pace.  I had hoped to run longer today, but pushed it as far as I could.  I walked more of the hills than usual.  Oh, well, maybe that will be my crappy run for the week and I'll have a great run tomorrow!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.