Masters Running

Calling Tet and Francesca - Re Mt. Si (Read 294 times)

Hey, you two - I've been looking at Mt. Si as a possible next 50-miler.  What can you guys tell me about it?

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Leslie,

you'll find it an easy run, mostly gravel trails, not much elevation, well organized and with the relay going on as well lots of people around to say hi to. It is not up the mountain...the name is misleading.. It was my first ultra  in 2008 and did it again last year. Part of it is on the same trail of the 20th Century run your friend Kate did, and where I met her.

I might do it again next year ,it would be great fun if you came up for it!

just ask away....

I'm running the Rainier to Ruston 50miler this coming Sat. This too sounds interesting, I'll let you know how it compares.

Francesca

Thanks, Francesca.  Sounds like it might be a good choice for a second 50-miler.  Good luck with R-to-R.  I'll be interested in hearing about that course, as well.

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

thanks ziggy. 

However, I hope we don't have to wait until next April to read your next 50-mile RR. 

Maybe you can find something this summer.  <<<(7/31WhiteRiver)>>>. 

Though 50 miles had been a goal since President Kennedy's Fitness Council days in 1963, a three mile race to the summit of Mt. Si  was enough to turn me away from the 50-mile version for more than a decade. .  Instead, I opted for a leisurely-sounding run along the White River for my first fifty.. 

Unfortunately, while Mt. Si turned out to be a flat or gently grading rails-to-trails out-and-back with only two little hills a couple of blocks long, White River had only the first and last 10K along the river.  The rest was up-and-down two 4,000' mountains that seem to be mostly walked by all but the top ten or twenty runners.

see SRL's race reports on both and how Mt. Si's flatness can be deceivingly difficult. .

http://srlopez-maniac111.blogspot.com/2008/08/72608-white-river-50-miler.html

http://srlopez-maniac111.blogspot.com/2007/04/042207-mt-si-50-miler.html

As the national 50-mile championship event, White River attracts the country's elite but, with a generous 400 runner limit, there's plenty of room for regular runners too. Francesca's checked out the first mountain so maybe you can do it together, even with other goddesses.  <<<(mariposai/erika/arf)>>>.

It's got one of the best event photos too.

IMG_0560.JPG.

Otherwise, maybe go to Italy for fancescals 100K over there.

we're still trying to get aamos into an ultra too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Thanks for the info, Tet.  No, I won't be doing another 50-miler this year.  My coach is already a bit upset with me for running 4 more events by the end of the year.  He thinks I need to take a break from "competition" training since I've been running an event approximately every 3-4 mos for the last four years - since I started running.

I'll have to check out the two race reports you posted.  If Mt. Si is a rails-to-trails, I'll have to give it some thought.  I did one rails-to-trails marathon and found it  incredibly boring.  Didn't know White River was a 50 miler.

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

let me see if this cut/paste links better to SRL's White River RR.

if not, go down to the end of July in his 2008 RR's

http://moostronaut.blogspot.com/2008/01/2008-race-schedule.html

ps - his RR's are usually in the  context of someone who's  usually very  speedy.

The last riverside 6.2 miles took me 2.5 hours the first time.

it was wonderful.

yup, there's nothing boring about White River

Plus, July weather would probably be perfect for you.  

http://srlopez-maniac111.blogspot.com/2008/08/72608-white-river-50-miler.html

http://srlopez-maniac111.blogspot.com/2007/04/042207-mt-si-50-miler.html

IMG_0560.JPG.

ps - needs too much training for me anymore

but I'll try to volunteer at the hula-hula aid station half way up Sun Top Mountain.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)