Masters Running

Sunday Masters Running and Life :-) (Read 450 times)

Mariposai

We were heading towards Chicago Airport this early morning when the pilot anounced that something was wrong with the plane and that we were going to make an Emergency landing in Denver Airport....life got very sober all of the sudden.

What a scary morning for the passengers. Spent the whole day in the airport and now we are eagerly awaiting our 5pm departure to Boston.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

[[[[[[[[mari]]]]]]]

hopefully this will be all the Adventure for this part of your trip.

just think ''Tequilla Shooters''

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Glad you are safe Maraposai--that matters most! Have a great time in New England and I wish I were closer to Boston. You'll have great fun with TPFD and La T.

As Walt reported---a great 17.7 miler this morning in the Berkshires. He was too easy on me and kind to say the sun was the reason for the not quite fast finish long run. We did sprint a bit at the very end. Drenched in sweat but happy to log some miles with a good friend.

Lot of good running and commentary here as usual. Hurray on the double digits again Nono. dg! sweet run for you as well. Sorry about the multiple stops Holly, but you got 'er done.

Life has been a bit topsy turvy as my beloved granny has been in and out of the hospital in the last two weeks----she's currently back in the hospital and in Brooklyn (she became quite ill while visiting one of my aunts). Feeling a bit lost without her here and I am learning all the routes into Brooklyn a bit more than I would like. 

Go Erika with the new PR!

dg--most races use powder and mix up the sports drinks at the water stops.  Sometimes, I find the drink is strong, and I have a weak stomach when I race.   That's why I often just carry  my own bottle at races, so I have the dilution I know is ok for me.  At races when I'm not carrying my own, I get a cup of water and either dump some out (or pour some on me, most often, unless it's a really chilly race) and then get a cup of the sportsdrink and pour it in the water cup.   Don't worry about it--I just have had some bad experiences with too-strong sports drink.

Holly, in light of the above, suffice it to say you have my sympathy and jaw-dropping amazement that you didn't just throw in the towel.  You, too, are a beast.

Karin, driving to Brooklyn also gets my empathy.  Stay strong and bring along good books/music to listen to in the car.

8 recovery miles for me along the creek in 1:12:30.  1 and last were slower, middle 6 steady state all within 8:55-9:05. Lots of people out along the creek tubing, swinging into the water (there's a spot with an old rope swing on a tree the kids love), flying kites, biking, running and walking.  Love our bikepath!  It's mid 80s and gorgeous here.

Carolyn, I'm bushed just reading about your events today.

Mari, thank God you are ok and may the rest of the trip be uneventful.  I've had to spent the night at the DEnver airport (yeah, at the airport, on the floor), so I do feel your frustration.  Hope you're reading in this in New England now and are into enjoying your vacation.

grins,

A

Masters 2000 miles
          SteveP

2.8 miles with DW and Tag....Taggy finally got ice cream!

SteveP

SteveP

(((((Karin & Grandma)))))

SteveP

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Karen--good thoughts to Super Granny and all your family.  BTW excellent LR for your and Walt.

Lots of other very excellent LRs for a lot of other folks, too.

4.75 for me today--very steady 9:50 M/M.  The humidity seems to have moderated a little so the 75 at the beginning didn't feel TOO bad.  I'm with Holly--never had this many 70+ mornings.  I've had a couple of summers where I don't think I had more than a couple.

For those of you who watch Glee, my DD told us that she met the guy with the mohawk when he was visiting at the frat house she's living in this summer.  He's apparently a really nice guy.  Nice side benefits of living in LA I guess.  She also got to go to the Twilight premiere because her sorority was featured on Oprah talking about how much they loved Twilight.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Glad you are safe Mari.......but going to Maine.....that maybe wasn't a plane....but one of the large mosquitos that either you ride....or it rides you.
                  Vista
                  dg.

{{{{{Super Granny}}}}}    Karin give her a kiss from me, ok?

Nancy, oh man.   I so hope your trip goes smoothly from now on!   hey maybe let us know when you land.  just would be nice to know.

Holly you get a lot of credit for finishing that today. 

would love to say more but it's past my bedtime..   (yes it is an exciting life ;-) )

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

sorry for such a scary flight posie. Hope you got to Boston before midnight.

at least you didn't have to drink from those water fountains Holly had to use.

ps - me too holly, what's "N"

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Dove

The Dovenator

Long run weekend for me. Saturday I ran a 5 mile hill workout, then ran downtown to do our annual Lakefair 8k. Afterwards I ran out to the ball park to watch Mr. Hawk as I ran loops around the fields. I managed to get 40.5 miles by the end of the day and a nice 8k race (41:06 ).

Today it was back out to the ballpark to test my recovery. I was able to put in another 10 surprisingly sproinky miles. 

I was happy that I managed to complete 50 miles for the 2 days without blisters, soreness or excessive hunger and I felt good the entire time. 

It was a nice confidence booster heading into a very busy August of racing weird races  (a 12-hour fixed time, a 51k at midnight in Area 51 and the weirdest of weird: Hood to Coast)

"it's just like having fun, but different"

dg.

Long run weekend for me. Saturday I ran a 5 mile hill workout, then ran downtown to do our annual Lakefair 8k. Afterwards I ran out to the ball park to watch Mr. Hawk as I ran loops around the fields. I managed to get 40.5 miles by the end of the day and a nice 8k race (41:06 ).

Today it was back out to the ballpark to test my recovery. I was able to put in another 10 surprisingly sproinky miles. 

I was happy that I managed to complete 50 miles for the 2 days without blisters, soreness or excessive hunger and I felt good the entire time. 

It was a nice confidence booster heading into a very busy August of racing weird races  (a 12-hour fixed time, a 51k at midnight in Area 51 and the weirdest of weird: Hood to Coast)

wow Dove. 

Marathon Maniac #957

I managed to get 40.5 miles by the end of the day and a nice 8k race (41:06 ).

Wow!  Awesome!

How do you manage the "no blisters" with that kind of mileage?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dove

The Dovenator

Wow!  Awesome!

How do you manage the "no blisters" with that kind of mileage?

I used duct tape on the balls of my feet , which is my trouble spot. I also changed shoes and socks three times. I put the most mileage (and during the heat of the day) in my Dry Max trail socks.

"it's just like having fun, but different"