Masters Running

Friday, January 11th Master-Boomer runs (Read 641 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! I guess I'll start, since I don't see anyone else here first. CNYrunner is in town on business and I was fortunate enough to be able to share a morning run with her today along the river trail near her hotel. Although the high winds were a bit relentless, the temps were quite mild in the mid-40’s. I didn’t look at pace while we were running, but when I got home and downloaded my Garmin I was surprised to find that, in spite of the wind, we had run 3 miles at (my) MP – 8:33-8:44, with an overall GA (for me) pace of 9:09 – total distance: 8 miles. It was so much fun to be able to run in the company of such a lovely woman and we just chatted up a storm as we went…Smile The best thing about this site (and CR) is when you can meet in person the lovely people you share this running thing with. Happy Friday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly's run sounds just like mine, though without the nice company. 8 miles at my GA pace 8:57 min/mile. Even though I was trying to run GA there were 4 or 5 miles in there at my MP - I had some at 8:35ish and some at 8:40ish. The average HR was only 140. I guess I better find myself a race somewhere quick before this all passes. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

GreenMan

Nice 8's Holly & Bill & CNY, I love being sore. Last night, despite a good recovery run in the morning, both legs were sore hip to ankle - not injured -just a hard sore. Maybe I'm wrong, but it tells me I've been somewhere and getting somewhere. No running today, some XT and a walk maybe this evening. Already wheels are turning for tomorrow's expedition. Have a great day runners, jjj
        Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.
          Easy 3 this morning on treadmill at work, heading out to gym as I write this to get my weight training in. Hopefully it will not be as tough as Wed. workout, it took almost 2 hours to get through. 8 sets on bench press took almost 40 min. then we started to work arms. I have long run planned for Saturday am hopefully halllar will join me for at least 8 miles at Genesys
          spacityrunner

Nothing for me today...total rest day. Foot is cranky. I think I will not run tomorrow, but I may walk. I like meeting with the "group" and don't want to miss it.

Trails Rock!

Nice 8s by Holly, CNY & Bill. I managed a 5er while listening to SolarMix11. The best part was running into the courtyard of the Meadowbrook Hall mansion just as the Ben-Hur chariot race music was playing. The mix ended at the 4-mile mark, but I wouldn't have heard it anyway because my last return mile was straight into a very stiff, cold wind, with drizzling rain driving right at me. Meh! A good run, but felt good when it was over, too. Good luck to the weekenders, especially those in Orlando. That looks like something I'd like to try someday -- but not both events like some of you are doing!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good morning all. A lovely rainy morning for a run in Boston. 3.2 miles in 27:30 at 36F. Really didn't want to go out when I heard the rain on the roof this morning. But I figured if I'm going to complain about using a treadmill, I can't complain about an occasional run in the rain. Would have liked a few more degrees, but wasn't bad overall. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

dg.

morning all, nice runs. berger, could you bottle it? Erika, embarrassing our kids is one of the joys of parenting. Wink. Glad you were feeling better. It's slightly possible that sometimes you push it a bit. liz! jjj, I like that sore too. doug, is your pain gone? I meant to email you with what I've learned from my recent experience fwiw... embarrassed to give advice on the board. You can't get injured. You are my shining example. To those of you that run or do something in the afternoon or early evening... what do you have for lunch? And how long is it till you work out? I always ran very early. Sometimes now I go to the gym at about 3:30 or 4:00, & my usual lunch, a large salad with tofu or beans etc, doesn't seem to be a very good choice. this morning I did some callanetics, and after work today I plan to go to the gym. Not quite over whatever bug this is, so I'll reserve slacking rights. Stevep, I'm so sorry about your mom. Please give her hugs from us.
                  Tramps

7.75 miles in heavy fog Week 2 of experiments with intervals. Same 5x800 @ 5K pace w/400 recoveries as last week. This time, though, I programmed my Garmin ahead of time and ran it on my road, avoiding the biggest hills. It’s a different experience than being on the track, that’s for sure. Keeping reasonably even splits (3:24, :22, :30, :22, :25) resulted in varying effort due to inclines and I felt like I was working harder overall due to the loose dirt road surface. But the plus side probably overwhelms any negatives: I don’t have to spend 20 minutes each way driving to and from the track. Also, I programmed the Garmin for a 2-mile easy/cool down which forced me to actually do it to finish the workout; I’m not sure I would have done it without the commitment beforehand. I’ve definitely become a fan of pre-programmed interval workouts.

Be safe. Be kind.

Roch, Pouring rain and 37 degrees F. here in Newburyport, Massachusetts. I suppose you would run through it, but I probably wouldn't, even if I could: I can stand anything except discomfort. Last night we four went to a high school production of You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown in the next town. I believe it was opening night. An enjoyable show, even though we knew none of the actors and nobody else in the audience. I was particularly struck by the sophomore girl who played Sally Brown. She is not beautiful, but attractive enough, and she has real talent--the spark--moves very well, and her singing voice is magnificent. All the cast members had remarkable acting backgrounds, according to the program, but this 15-year-old girl stood out above them all, in my opinion. Afterward I told Dark Mare, "We must go to everything she is in from now on." Then to my embarrassment, Dark Mare passed on my comment to the girl herself, when the cast was standing in the hallway afterward and greeting the audience as we passed out of the auditorium. I thought of asking the girl to autograph my program, but I don't do that sort of thing. Last night I finally got a response to the note I had posted two months ago on the library bulletin board, seeking people to start a Latin reading group. I received an email from a lady who got her masters degree in classics 35 years ago, and we are to meet at the library today at 2 p.m. "What fun!" she wrote, and I too am looking forward to it. Hoping to work out later. Dark Horse
                      I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
                        Good Friday morning everyone. Quick 4 miler on the treadmill this morning. We got about 3 inches of snow last night, and it is absolutely beautiful outside, but not easy to run in. Planning my long run tomorrow, so hopefully the streets will be cleared by then. Good luck to all the racers this weekend. Hope the weather and conditions are perfect for everyone. Preparing for a house full of company coming this afternoon for the football game tomorrow - cooking, cleaning and all those fun things. Roll eyes Hopefully their visit will bring good luck for the playoff game. Go Pack!

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Good Morning! Nice runs Holly and Breeger. Holly, you don't have to indicate "for me". We assume you aren't running somebody else's MP or GA Wink Tramps.. Nice intervals. Those indicate that you have a much faster marathon time in you Smile I'll join the 8 mile GA club today. 8.2 mi in 1:06:12 (8:04 pace, AHR 163). The HR was a bit higher because it was muggy even though just 56F, not IRC (for me Big grin). It was so muggy with warm and cool spots that my glasses kept fogging and de-fogging throught the run. First 2.2 miles with Tory at 8:21 and then 6 mi @7:58. This run felt absolutely wonderful and smooth for sme reason. I think it's all the pasta I've eaten this week. Only had 4 hrs sleep. Had a bunch of dreams and woke up at 2 and couldn't fall back asleep til after 4 then the alarm went of at 4:45... ugh. Maybe the run was just a dream? Have great runs! Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Marathon Maniac #957

Good luck to the weekenders, especially those in Orlando. That looks like something I'd like to try someday -- but not both events like some of you are doing!
                            No doubt. I can’t imagine doing a HM one day and a marathon the next. I’d have to be, well, goofy....Smile Dg3 – (I can’t get used to the fact that you are 3 now and not 9), have you thought about having a yogurt, or some cottage cheese, (or the 2 mixed), or a Zone bar (or other such energy bar), or banana, before you go to the gym? Normally I run in the morning before eating, but if I wait too long before I head out the door, I get hungry, and I don’t work out well at all when I’m hungry.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Last night we four went to a high school production of You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown in the next town. I believe it was opening night. An enjoyable show, even though we knew none of the actors and nobody else in the audience. I was particularly struck by the sophomore girl who played Sally Brown. She is not beautiful, but attractive enough, and she has real talent--the spark--moves very well, and her singing voice is magnificent.
                              A few years ago, we went to a high school summer-program performance of Les Miserables, mainly because the son of some friends of ours was starring in it. When I saw what they were doing, I just assumed that they would do an abridgement, because that's a really long and difficult show. But, by gosh, they did the entire thing, and it was absolutely magnificent! I'd have to say that I enjoyed it as much as I did the first time I saw it being performed by a professional touring company. Some of those kids have a definite future in show biz!

doug, is your pain gone? I meant to email you with what I've learned from my recent experience fwiw... embarrassed to give advice on the board. You can't get injured. You are my shining example.
                                Deb, you can dish out advice on the board at any time Wink. I was "aware" of my leg today, but can't say that it was painful and it definitely isn't something that will slow me down. It feels OK now a couple hours later, so that's a good sign. I'm going to do a run with the club tomorrow morning, so that will be a better indicator.