Masters Running

AUGUST CHALLENGE: Abs (Read 48 times)

TammyinGP

For August we are returning to our abs!

On odd days, we'll do the bicycle crunch:

Most Effective Ab Exercise: Bicycle

1. Lie face up on your mat and place your hands behind your head, lightly supporting it with your fingers.
    2. Bring the knees in to the chest and lift the shoulder blades off the floor without pulling on the neck.
    3. Rotate to the left, bringing the right elbow towards the left knee as you straighten the other leg. 
    4. Switch sides, bringing the left elbow towards the right knee.
    5. Continue alternating sides in a 'pedaling' motion for 1-3 sets of 12-16 reps.

and on Even days, we'll do planks, with some variety based on the level of difficulty you want to challenge yourself:

One Arm Ab Plank Reaches

Start in traditional plank position. Raise your right arm and reach out as far as possible in front of your body. Hold 15 seconds and repeat for your left arm. Complete 3 reps, per arm, per set (45 seconds per arm in total).

if the above is not a good starting point for you, then start with a traditional prone plank, elbows on the floor, and hold as long as you can.

Have Fun!!

Tammy

TammyinGP

And the BONUS Challenge this month is No Sugar!

My son has eliminated sugar from his diet for the past 4 wks. If a 13 yr old can do, I can do it, right?   So, I told my son I would also eliminate sugar for the month of August. if anyone wants to join me on a no sugar challenge, I would love the accountability and company! Smile

Tammy

OrangeMat

MM #6177

What's the guideline for no sugar? Nothing processed? Or under a certain number of grams of sugar for processed food?

i need some accountability in my life. The only thing I do consistently is run. I see I missed the upper body challenge last month, could've used that because my chest, arms and shoulders have really gotten soft and have lost their definition. Oh well...

Hoodoo Guru

OK, I'm back in for August after opting out of the July challenge.

Can't do the "no sugar" though.   You're on your own.

The tangents are moot.

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Yeah, forget it about the no sugar thing. I forgot and just had two cookies... as if one wasn't enough....

TammyinGP

the No Sugar challenge, for those that want to do it, is just dessert/refined sugar things. I'm not going absolutely no refined sugar, because that would even cut out things like my yogurt. But I'm eliminating ice cream, cookies, sweet treats, etc.

and if you want to cut back, by maybe only treating yourself once a week with a treat, that's fine too. you can still make the challenge something that works for you.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

Does wine count as sugar?

I'm in, although I tend to start out great and then lose momentum as the month goes on.  Summer is a very busy time, and I tend to lose focus a bit.  Still, this will make me work more than I am right now, which is all to the good.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

No Way!!  Big grin I'm just talking desserts/sweets/candy . . . that kind of stuff.

Tammy

OrangeMat

MM #6177

For some reason, I'm always hungrier on my rest day. So I'll allow myself the occasional cookie or two on the days I don't run. Good thing I run 6 days a week!

OK, I'm in for the no sugar thing.

Still debating the abs challenge. Have to wait until I finish digesting those cookies, I think....

dg.

so first we eat everything we have that contains sugar?

as well as anything sold in local stores (with refined sugar, will leave stuff with honey)  to eliminate temptation?

Mike E

MM #5615

2x100 bicycle crunches before my run and 2x100 bicycle crunches after my run...and no sweets...

Mariposai

A girl after my own heart.

I am in, but I will be off line for two week in later this month.

3x 30 bicycle crunches

No sugar,

but

yes

wine!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

TammyinGP

Made it through day 1 of no sugar. and my house is pretty clean right now too! (had to keep busy last night or I tend to find something sweet to eat).

3 x 15 bicycle crunches last night also.

Tammy

Mike E

MM #5615

2 sets of OAAPR's 15 seconds each arm before my run and 1 set of OAAPR's 15 seconds each arm after my run...and 2 x 100 bicycle crunches before and 2 x 50 crunches after...and no sweets...although, I am going out for pizza and beer...

TammyinGP

At the gym, I did some crunches and some prone planks. I couldn't remember what I designated for planks in the challenge so I just did traditional planks. only 3x30 seconds. my core is weak!

no sweets, although I'm going out for Japanese and beer Wink

Tammy