Masters Running

Just for the fun of it (Read 34 times)

Mariposai

Mrrun posted this link on the daily.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/10/31/how-old-is-your-health/?_r=0

I visited the link and I was rather surprised at my results;

Your VO2MAX is calculated to be 52 and your estimated "fitness age" is younger than 20.

Just for the fun of it, visit the  link to read the article if you want. 

Then go to the fitness calculator website: http://www.ntnu.edu/cerg/vo2max

and come back here to tell us your finding.

I think it will be fun to see the results we get.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

coastwalker

Fun stuff, Mariposai!

I got a VO2max of 47, and fitness age of 42 with "a little hard breathing and sweating" for my training intensity. When I change that to "I go all out," I get a VO2max of 52 and a fitness age of 29. The reality is likely somewhere in between (assuming this test has any real-world validity).

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

My VO2max is 45 and my fitness age is 47.  Every centimeter I take off my waist line lowers my fitness age by a year so I am considering liposuction.  (I don't really know my resting pulse so I just took a guess at that line.)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I got 49 and 39 on the first pass with "exercise almost every day" .  It went lower when I changed it to 2-3 days per week Confused

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

SubDood

Ooh, I like this calculator. VO2MAX = 54, Fitness Age = 26.

[If I had a sex change operation, it changes me to VO2MAX = 41, and Fitness Age = 31, so that ain't happening.]

Mariposai

(I don't really know my resting pulse so I just took a guess at that line.)

Use this to get your resting heart rate

To determine your resting heart rate,  sit quietly for 10 minutes and check your pulse; count for 30 seconds, double the number and you have your resting heart rate.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Walk-Jogger

I LIKE this calculator!! Big grin

"Your VO2MAX is calculated to be 58

and your estimated "fitness age" is younger than 20".

So my VO2Max is equal to my age - nice! But I really wish "fitness age" included things like eyesight and hearing and knee cartilage. All of which I seem to be losing alarming amounts of. Confused

Retired &  Loving It

Latent Runner

I'm not sure how to interpret these results as I've always been "just a runner" and never gotten into any of the scientific or fad running concepts.

I took the survey and answered with the following answers:

- How often: Almost every day

- How long: 30 minutes or more (more like two to three hours, sometimes more such as during hay season)

- How hard: I go all out (kinda-sorta, I look after 11 horses and I typically run 10 miles a day at a high eight to low nine pace)

- How old: 56

- Waistline: 32

- Pulse: 42

The results:

- VO2MAX: 76 (I don't know what VO2MAX is or whether higher or lower is better)

- Fitness age: younger than 20

Somehow I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around having the "fitness age" of a teenager.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                  • 2-mile: 13:49
                  • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                  • 5-Mile: 37:24
                  • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                  • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                  • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
                  Dave59

I'm not sure how to interpret these results as I've always been "just a runner" and never gotten into any of the scientific or fad running concepts.

I took the survey and answered with the following answers:

- How often: Almost every day

- How long: 30 minutes or more (more like two to three hours, sometimes more such as during hay season)

- How hard: I go all out (kinda-sorta, I look after 11 horses and I typically run 10 miles a day at a high eight to low nine pace)

- How old: 56

- Waistline: 32

- Pulse: 42

The results:

- VO2MAX: 76 (I don't know what VO2MAX is or whether higher or lower is better)

- Fitness age: younger than 20

Somehow I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around having the "fitness age" of a teenager.

The waistline is in centimeters, but even converting 32 to 81 doesn't change your fitness age.  It does lower you VO2max.

10 miles a day at a hard pace is pretty impressive (at least to me).  I bet even the horses are impressed.

Latent Runner

The waistline is in centimeters, but even converting 32 to 81 doesn't change your fitness age.  It does lower you VO2max.

10 miles a day at a hard pace is pretty impressive (at least to me).  I bet even the horses are impressed.

You know, it helps if I would actually read the question; thanks for the catch on the units of measure for the waist size.  I just reran the numbers and got a VO2MAX of 57 and like you said, the fitness age still has me as a teenager.

As for the horses, a couple of times now I've taken one out on a lead on the trail where I run, and gone as far as I could before I was about to drop, about 18 miles, and then I hopped on and bare-backed it back to the farm.  He's a sweaty beastie when we get back; I don't think he minds too much as it means a good bath and brushing and some extra goodies in his dinner bucket.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

lamerunner

I got VO max 43; exercise age 26, but  I exercise more than "almost every day" for 30 minutes. More like almost every day for 1-2 hours.  I guessed at waist circumference but I think was close.  I sure don't run now the way I did at 26 though... they forgot to sk about the knees, joints etc.

Latent Runner

I got VO max 43; exercise age 26, but  I exercise more than "almost every day" for 30 minutes. More like almost every day for 1-2 hours.  I guessed at waist circumference but I think was close.  I sure don't run now the way I did at 26 though... they forgot to sk about the knees, joints etc.

Agreed, adding more minutes per day categories would definitely be in order.

I just looked up what VO2max means and I'm thinking it is pretty improbable that my rating is anywhere near 57 (I would guess high 40s).  The fact is, three days per week I spend roughly three hours in the barn (pushing/pulling horses around, pitching three to four hundred pounds of poop, and moving/distributing grain bags and bales of hay), and I run 60-70 miles per week, I am almost never going "all out" (I save that for the one or two races I run per month).  I'm thinking they need another question in the middle, something like, "I train hard but not to complete exhaustion".

Fat old man PRs: