Masters Running

Tuesdaily 5.22.18 (Read 38 times)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Today, was a scheduled rest day...and I need it.  My right knee feels a little wonky.

After an awesome performance, Caps are not quite dead yet. Woo hoo!

It looks like Lucy has that ball all teed up for you, Tramps.

Erika--my current position is Project Manager for a small remodeling company.  I've been in the home building industry for 36 years.  Until the housing industry went down the tubes, a few years ago, I had always been in the office.  Since then, I have been forced to take positions that require me to actually know what I'm doing...and I'm finding out that I don't know all that much.  And, believe me, I make a whole lot of mistakes. This latest mistake, by our Executive Vice President, was on a $2000.00 piece of quartz countertop.  I had ordered it...but with the information that he gave me.  Luckily, he remembered the conversation, as did one of the owners, and it was clearly a misunderstanding between the homeowner and the VP.  We, of course, are going to replace the top.

In my first 30 years in the industry, I worked for 3 different companies...20 years at my last one.  This is my 3rd company in the last 6 years.  Even though this isn't a position I particularly like, I am going to do the best I can and continue to improve and eliminate as many mistakes as I can. Because of the people, I would really like to stay at this one until I retire in...who knows when.

My biggest thing is--my memory is so bad.  I can be told something by somebody, today, and completely forget I even had a conversation with that person, tomorrow.  And it gets worse, the older I get.  But, I'm working at making better notes for myself and I have a young guy in the office who helps me stay on track with things.

Okay--I'll stop now.  Thanks for listening.  See ya!

bioguy

Easy 4 after work.

My seniors are done, so I have three classes without  much going on.

Tailwinds!

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, I'm still around...but haven't had time/opportunity to even lurk.  Apparently there's a downside to trying to lead two separate maintenance groups with two different weapon systems (KC-135s and C-130Hs) 600 miles apart.  Who knew?  Anyway, I'm back in Alabama and I did manage a 5 mile run after work.  Included a long dirt road segment that goes alongside the Alabama River (still on base though) so I wore trail shoes (rained today).  5+ miles, 8:35 pace.  As for smells, in addition to honeysuckle I also enjoy running past wisteria when it's in bloom.

That's all for now.  Will try to do better about consistency (and length) in posting and I appreciate y'alls patience.

Have a great night!

Mariposai

A quick post to report a lovely run on the green way in Yakima. An absolute lovely place. Sever miles before the conference started.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Beautiful, Nancy. I've never been to Yakima.

Falconfixer, you don't need to apologize for not posting. We all come and go, sometimes posting regularly and sometimes taking some time off. Life gets in the way, we all know. Good to hear things are going well, if not having you spread a little too thin.

Mike E, so you're sort of a general contractor's project manager? Important role, and lots of balls to keep in the air at once. Keeping good notes is critical. Have you thought about getting a small handheld recorder that you can document all project discussions/decisions and maybe transcribe later? Or have your young whiz-kid colleague transcribe? Could make a world of difference.

Happy (almost) end of school year, bioguy. Our last day of school was last Thursday, I think.

So DS1 and his DW closed on their house Monday, and today they spent moving their stuff out of our apartment. Their cats spent the day up here with Emma, who hates them. And the younger cat hates Emma. I can only imagine how things went today, but when we got home Emma was so desperate to get out of the house, she ran down the stairs to the garage with Dani (DS1's younger cat) in hot pursuit. I'd never seen another cat go after Emma like that, it really made me sad. This is her house, but Dani is a younger very alpha female and Emma (who is also an unfriendly alpha female in her own world) was totally outmatched. Emma's not up for a fight, she'd rather run. So she did. I hope she comes home soon. 

I ran 5.6 miles after work. The headwind sucked on the way out, which was also mostly uphill, but the downhill return with the tailwind was pretty cool.

SteveP

Life is a winding road with hills and valleys is what I told her. But it is hard to watch.

C-R - Well put. Good news about the new job.

Holly - It's hard to beat all A's. That really stinks about the server being down.

MikeE - Try dictating notes into your phone. The last company I was with, a customer raised the roof because our windows dropped below the kitchen counter top in their log cabin. There were other issues as well. That was the big one. It seems the builder forgot a row of logs on the cabin. That's a hard one to recover from.

Erika -  I hope Emma wanders back soon.

Our new manager, when we ever get one, is going to have their hands full. More people are exhibiting apathy. One man I respect, stayed until after midnight on Monday because deliveries needed to be pulled together and loaded for the first run. No one else would.

I was the last one to leave. The 14' overhead door jumped a track when I hit the down button. It hit a sprinkler head from the fire suppression system. I walked briskly to the shut off valves because I needed to come up with a mental plan. I shut off ever damn valve I could find then waited until the lines drained. The assistant manager was less than amused. It was a little later until I got out. For my well being, I may have to fall into the detached side.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

Anyone want to get on the record books for a FKT?

What is an FKT?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

MikeE - Try dictating notes into your phone.

My phone has a voice recorder, but when I use it, I don't know where the files are saved.  My DH says I can Google it to learn to use it.  I also know there are apps where you can dictate and they will email you a transcript of the dictation.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."