Masters Running

Twin Cities Spot for Sale (Read 556 times)

It's been 14 days, 8 hours and 31 minutes since my appointment with a podiatrist, cortisone shot and strict orders not to run for 3 weeks. I turned 58 last week and after a lot of soul searching, I've reached a decision. The Twin Cities will not happen for me this year. I'm trying to be realistic that with only 8 weeks left and 7 weeks to train, there's no way I'll be able to get my mileage high enough to run a decent race.

So, with heavy heart, I'm looking to sell my spot in October. I've never done this before and have sent an e-mail to Twin Cities asking if I can defer or transfer my bib # to another racer. Is there anyone who wanted to run but didn't sign up before the race filled? While still hoping for a miracle, I'm putting this message out in case anyone is interested and would need to make travel/hotel arrangements. Just let me know.

Thanks, Jeanne

Jeanne - Can't take you up on your offer, but it sounds like you've made the wiser choice.  There's another marathon out there with your name on it, and when the time comes, you're gonna do great!

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

wildchild

Carolyn

Jeanne, I'm really sorry to hear this, but it does sound like the wise choice.  I hope you can defer to next year or sell your spot. 

Hey, a while back dg and I were talking about doing a marathon together once we turn 70 - then we'll only need 5 hours for a BQ.  Want to join us? 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

Oh Jlynne.....it's such a tough decision, but one that is not uncommon to marathon runners....I had to defer 2008 Columbus to 2009 myself.  I hope they allow you to do that, but sorry you have to ask.  But there's nothing you can do about it, and I understand the wisdom in your choice.   You want to be able to finish your first marathon with a smile if you can, and undertrained would make that hard....{{{hugs}}}...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

The right choice Jlynne.  There's always other races.  Perhaps you can come to the TWC weekend anyway and enjoy the festivities and see a Marathon up close and personal.  It would be great to have you there cheerin' and funnin'!

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Sorry to hear this Jlynne,

It was the right decision and one that I and probably everyone here that runs marathons has had to do at some point.  Good luck with the recovery and start looking for another one.

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Maniac 505

Jeanne:

I am so sorry to hear this.  I know you are making the right decision.  but I was so looking forward to meeting you.

I can speak from experience.  a DNF is much worse then a DNS.  either is often the smart (but always hard) thing to do.   there will be many more marathons awaiting.  You really want to go into your first one prepared.

Heal quick. 

Dave

I'm sorry too, but hope you'll still consider joining us.  There's a 5K and a 10K the day before the marathon and the 10 miler.  Since we were only doing the 10 miler, D. ran the 5K and I ran the 10K Saturday.  They're well organized and finish the same place as SUnday's races, so you get the feel of the thing.  And we only registered for those at the Expo.  So come.  We need you there.

sad grins,

A

And I want to crash dg and wildchild's marathon.

Masters 2000 miles
                    Just got an e-mail from Twin Cities. No refunds, no deferrals, no bib # transferring. Looks like I just made a nice contribution to a great cause
                    SteveP

The best contribution you've made has been sharing your personality with us.

SteveP

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

(you too batman) .

Jeanne - maybe you can join the crowd at the start and make it a 13 or 20 mile

catered training run under real-live marathon conditions.

At least you can get your goodie bag.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

dg.

Jeanne, I'm so sorry.   I really do hope you can join us.   How far is it for you?    I know... I owe you a message response & I haven't forgotten!    

You are a strong, tough runner.   Please don't get discouraged!   I know it's tough... I had to bail on my planned second marathon, and even though I knew it was coming & there really was no way around it, it was even harder than I expected.  It kept washing over me for quite a while.    But you know, here we are, committing to something on this scale months ahead of time, it's a leap of faith (in our muscles & joints & esp. in good luck!) and sometimes it bites us.   Especially hard the first time, I think.   (((( ))))

.... and you're in to run with Carolyn, Amy, me, a few years out???  Smile

.... and you're in to run with Carolyn, Amy, me, a few years out???  Smile

Count me in, ladies

DH and I went to Chicago a couple of weeks ago. I asked him if we could stop at Fleet Feet to get analyzed for new running shoes as my birthday gift. The staff there was awesome. I hopped on a treadmill and they videotaped my gait, then asked me a bunch of questions about miles per week/goals, etc. A very knowledgable staff - can't say enough good things about my experience there. They suggested Addidas Solutions with a great insert. Tuesday I just couldn't wait any longer to try them out (even though I'm supposed to not run at least one more week). Ran one mile, walked one for a total of 6 miles. Today the weather was too perfect not to run. So I did 3 miles. No pain, but still not feeling 100%. I'm hoping that maybe if I start back slowly and only run every other day, I could possibly still do Twin Cities? I know I'm running out of time and have a long way to go, but........

Oh - and Steve? Thank you. You touched my heart.

Slo

That's very encouraging news Jlynne !

Getting back to running is the most important. I'd put any thought of the Twin Cities in the back of your mind and make a safe return to running your normal weekly milage the first priority.

In other words....One day at a time.

The danger with keeping a focus on the Twin Cities is allowing it to slip from a focus to suddenly becoming a goal leading to you pushing your recovery. This was a battle I fought during my return from a SF with Greenbay. The benefit I had was Greenbay had a Half for an option.

There's lots and lot's of Marathons and if the Twin Cities dosn't work out then I think we need to designate the Green Bay marathon as the Jlynne inagural and start making plans for an RA face to face party. Besides....that band that was playing at the finish line party was awesome!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Can I join you ladies for the 70 year old BQ's????   I do believe that'll be my only chance too.  Big grin

JLynne - I have everything crossed for you in the hopes that you can still participate in the Twin Cities Marathon.   Don't push it though and injure yourself worse!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                                It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com