Masters Running

Shillelagh 4 mile RR (Read 180 times)

My first race of the year,was not what I had hoped for this morning. Temp was 18 degrees when I did my warm-up and wind gusting to 30 mph out of the North, it was cold. The Shillelagh is one of my favorite races in the Flint area, the temps are usually in the 30's to 45 degrees and the coarse has a nice downhill the last 1/4 mile and is fast with very little turns. This year because of the amount of snow we have and the colder than normal temps they changed the coarse, a large part of the coarse was sheet of ice, through some low lying neighborhoods. There was no downhill at the finish and alot of turns running through a bunch of sub-divisions. The first mile I ran real strong but cautious around 7:15. As we hit the mile we turned North into the wind, ouch... I hit the second mile at 15:05, right where I wanted to be, it was from here to the finish I died. The coarse looped every 1/4 mile or so back into the wind I hit mile 3 at 24:30 and finished with a big kick to beat 2 of my friends in the last 100 yds at 33:09 This put me 8/12 in the 200-219 weight class and 114 out 297 oa. This is a big difference from last years 29:51 I am heavier this year at 207 compared to 196 last year. The cold weather is hampering my speed work and my long runs. I wore my Nike Spiridon flats,hind black yellow tights, and addidas climacool long sleeve, yellow, and brigth green wind jacket, red cool max hat, mittens and handwarmers. The lack consistent training is killing me, the temp is supposed to improve this next week so maybe we can get back on track. Run long run well
      I'd call it a nice run derrick!
      Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
      wildchild

Carolyn

Runners really are a crazy bunch, if 297 of them show up to run when it's 18 and windy, and the roads are icy! Good job just getting to the starting line, and running safely and well. Your outfit sounds colorful, too!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

I see I missed your call today. I was at work at the time. I figured you were at the race. I hope to make next weeks Pot o Gold race downtown but have to wait and see if I am working or not. Your race wasn't much better weather wise than my last one. Will we ever get warm again? Your pretty fast for a big guy concidering the conditions you did a fine job.

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

derrick, you did mighty fine for the cold and windy conditions. Congratulations. TomS
            SteveP

Thanks for the RR Derrick. 4+ months of snow is enough. Run well.

SteveP

Good job, Derrick! I actually had one of the Flint races (Pot o' Gold?) on my tentative calendar as a change from the usual Detroit/Corktown race and expected to see you up there, but of course I won't be recovered enough for even an easy 4 miles by this weekend. Maybe next year.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

coastwalker

Hi Derrick, Chilly, windy weather on an icy course are few people's ideal racing conditions And training in the north through the winter is always an iffy thing. Still, you were out there, you got your first race of the season over and done with, and you managed to finish with a nice kick. It'll only get better (and warmer!) from here on out! Congratulations on a nice effort in less than ideal conditions. Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

huskydon

Derrick, I would guess that everyone who ran last year would have also slowed down this year due to the temperature and winds. The course being different probably also had an effect. But let me not dissuade you from trying to get down to a lower weight class. Once you get into more consistent training, I believe you will quickly get back into prime racing form. huskydon

King of PhotoShop

Good effort Derrick. Better weather will give you more training miles, and you'll be right back on top again. Spareribs
                      btb1490

Not really a bad start to the season, given the winter you have had. You'll get it back once you get unburied from all that snow and can get out there again. It also looks like you started too fast, with better pacing you might have run closer to the time you were looking for. Keep plugging away!