Masters Running

Big Sur Trail (aka Dirt Road) Marathon (Read 317 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

102?!?   I probably would've just laid down in the ground and said, "Shoot me!"

as a matter of fact, that just what we did, . . . except instead of getting shot, my friend, whose symptoms were just as you explained for you, was taken away in an ambulance (event was too small to have medic back-up on-site).

Incidentally, at least for regular runners, we also proved that the 3% rule for every ten degrees is more like 6% for us.

3% - http://peakperformance.runnersworld.com/2009/09/sep-21-.html

ps - for those of us who'll probably never get down there, are there any scenic ocean overlooks as we'd probably find out there are in the regular Big Sur in case anyone who's run it might have  posted and RR about it somewhere?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mariposai

The heat may have been brutal, but you prevailed. Congrats!

and...thanks for taking the time to take us along with you. ..I read every word of it.

You are one tough runner.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

ps - for those of us who'll probably never get down there, are there any scenic ocean overlooks as we'd probably find out there are in the regular Big Sur in case anyone who's run it might have  posted and RR about it somewhere?

Are you asking about the views from the road?  If so, you get to see very little of the ocean on this run.  It starts at Hwy 1, then curves inland like a big half circle.  You come out on the other end by Bixby Bridge, turn around and run back inland for about 2.5 miles, go back to Bixby Bridge, turn around and go all the way back out.

Bixby Bridge View - Here's a view of the bridge from the distance.  The road snaking around on the right-hand side of the picture is the road we ran on.  The picture has to have been taken from the road, as well.

If any of you get a chance to drive Hwy 1, it's a stunner - but you can't be in a hurry.  Very curvy and can be pretty foggy.  It travels down right through where I grew up, Cambria, as well as San Simeon  where you'll find the famous Hearst Castle.  If I had had more time, I would've gone down and visited the ole homestead.

Mariposai - Thank you very much for your kind words.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

I keep wondering if I was just a wuss, but I remember the looks on so many of the faces.  Incredibly, the guy who won the whole thing did it in less than 4 hours.  Ho-ly cow!   Because we had to double back a couple of times, he passed me 3 times and always looked like he was out for a nice Saturday run through the park.

I hate those guys...

Well, now you've done the race from Hell, the others will probably seem easy, huh?  Although my big fear is wind and freezing rain - hypothermia and frozen hands.  Don't know which would be worse, that or heat like this.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."