Masters Running

The Wineglass Marathon-----a fine day and meeting friends in person (Read 578 times)

So sorry about the formatting----I tried to correct the spacing (after pasting this from a Word document and it won't take.)  This is cross-posted on KR and may be easier to read there. Something about the format here and my operating system or my browser ...who knows?! I'll understand if you don't read further!

The brief story:

7th overall woman

3rd in 40-49 category, but first masters since the top 6 overall women won prizes and two were masters runners

84/783 overall

3:20:15

Goals:

3:18 and negative splits

3:20 and negative splits

3:25

Win or place in my age group

Have fun

Don’t fall on a Gu packet 

Emerge without an injury

I am very happy with how everything turned out and yet I wouldn’t be honest if I didn’t say that falling off the back of 3:18 bummed me out a bit.

Anyway, back to the Wineglass marathon and the long version….(do it SLO_HAND….great course and race)

One of the Js from my running gang, the Js, suggested Wineglass as a Fall target marathon and girls weekend. In the end she (Dr. J)had to be in Chicago to support two of her pathology residents at a major medical conference presentation, but I stuck with the plan and incorporated a family visit and a chance to meet PDR and WRFB.  One of my occasional running friends, Dr. B was there (PRed with a 3:40—he’ll be 60 next year, so Western, MA was represented after all).

I spent a portion of the weekend in Pittsford, NY with my in-laws. I got to soak up all the TLC  since Mr. CNYrunner and the kiddo had an all-hockey weekend here-----power skating clinic on Saturday---the kiddo as a participant and Dad on ice as a coach.  On Sundays the kiddo works with the 3-4year-olds in the Learn to Skate program and we believe that you can’t break a commitment even if Mom is running around in Upstate, NY.  I missed them though---my biggest fans.  A lovely time was had with the in-laws in Pittsford and then the next day at the Corning Glass Museum and all was well. 

I bid my in-laws adieu after some shopping in the Glass Market and went back to chanting: 7:45 (mile 1), 37:47 (5), 1:15:34 (10), 1:53 (15), 2:31 (20), 3:01(24), 3:17:59 (26.2)-----I try to drill the desired splits into memory so I worry less about each mile and break the race into segments.

After a 10 minute stop at the expo to get my number (chip wired right onto the back of each bib number), I headed to my hotel and started to get into race mode----pin number on shirt, set out race day fueling items and all that. Perhaps owing to a hectic week of business travel and making final preparations for Super Granny to move into our house (Columbus Day weekend) I didn’t have my trusty Timex Ironman watch with me and felt scattered. I am fairly hyper organized, but not this time. I did have the right sneakers with me and all my other race gear. Maybe I was really supposed to FEEL the pace. No matter, I was meeting PDR and WRFB at an Olive Garden for dinner near a mall and figured I could buy a new watch.

Meeting up with the Beers was a huge highlight of the whole weekend.  What a great couple and they made me feel statuesque---sorry couldn’t resistand it was only my clogs anyway!  Seriously, we fell into conversation immediately and easily and barely scratched the surface. They are impressive, witty, generous, and of course talented when it comes to running.

After an enjoyable dinner, I bought a watch, and crawled into bed—nervous, hopeful, and ready to run already. I get to a point in the taper week where I sometimes feel as if I have never run in my life or just don’t care anymore. This time I was feeling good and calm and the self-doubt demons were fairly quiet. I haven’t been sleeping well for awhile, but nodded off at 9:30 and woke up to the 4:45 am alarm---no waking up every hour on the hour. 

The race starts in the parking lot of Philips Lighting company in Bath, NY and busses take most of the runners from the finish area to the start with precision. It’s a small marathon at 850 +/- individual marathoners and marathon relay participants, but the details here were handled wonderfully. 

I met up with Dr. B and saw Harriet and Lou again as well. The weather was pretty near perfect, 45º or so and light wind with overcast skies.  The time passed quickly and we took off at 8:02 and headed downhill for the first mile. It takes me about 3-4 miles to feel settled into a groove with my arms and legs working properly---I run like Bill the Cat for awhile and then get into agroove. I found the groove earlier this time or so I thought…

Remember those splits?

Mile 1 7:45----actual 7:47    Phew, passed the down hill test   The course goes through the town of Bath and then you are out on rural roads and along a road that parallels some of the most scenic roads in the Southern Tier of NY. I do love my adopted state of MA and root for the Red Sox, but I was raised in Upstate NY and love home very much. It was wonderful to run a small marathon in familiar territory. After about mile 6 I was alone for much of the race. I could see runners ahead and hear them behind, but there wasn’t anyone right near me and it was a true test of staying focused the whole way. There were very few spectators along the way and that was fine--an interesting and peaceful experience. 

Mile 5 37:47----actual   37:01  Not too bad, but need to watch it---even a few seconds is bad news for me since I don’t have great speed, but can hold pace IF I am smart. I was starting to gain on some of the relay runners and got a bit too frisky about passing any women I saw on the course. One of my goals was to win my age group and I kept repeating “Go for the win K, go for the win”  Yes, I looked up last year’s results!  The first relay exchange point was at mile 9 and I almost got tripped by two exuberant relay runners. I actually yelled : “Watch it!” ….Sorry team whoever you were!  Here’s where I blew some of my strategy too.

Mile 101:15:34----actual 1:13:06  Uh oh  The course is really flat with some downhill sections and the hills are not hills---or at least not Western, Ma style----three brief rises on the whole course (even though you stare at the serious hills all around you, we ran in a valley area). I saw the 1:13 on my watch and tried to stay calm and ease up abit. The inner Karin (hi dg!) got all squirelly. I went through the 13.1 mark at 1:37 and started dreaming of hitting at 3:15 on Sunday instead of at a Fall’10 marathon as Coach and I discussed.

Mile 15 1:53-----actual 1:51:36   I was still feeling good—legs weren’t sore at all, shoulders and arms relaxed, elbows tucked in, wheeling up from my hips, but this was too fast. I was really pretty alone here and had to stay in the zone. Mind wandered a bit and I kept playing with road positioning to avoid the camber on the road.

Mile 20  2:31----actual 2:32   Okay, catching back up to original pace and slowing.  The course heads into Painted Post and then Corning, NY----streets through town, under bridges and onto a bike path at about mile 23

Mile 24  3:01-----actual 3:04

I never slammed into the wall dramatically but I definitely ran out of leg power and was running more with my arms (thank goodness for all the weight and flex work) I was determined not to stop and just kept at it. I am not sure if I would have had a kick if I had been slower earlier or if someone was right there to pace me, but I know I let my mental focus slip here.

Mile 26 comes along right after you pass the Corning Glass museum and then you finish after crossing a pedestrian bridge. I could see the magical word “Finish” on the banner at the opposite end of the bridge and I tried my best imitation of a sprint to the finish, I saw 3:20:07 on the finish clock and thought (prayed) that the chip time would be faster. Anyway, I Quasimodo--lurched it over the finish, put on my baked potato wrapper, received my hand blown glass medal (very cool) and felt relief. 

I went back over the bridge to cheer for Dr. B and saw Lou soon after as well. We all hung out once Harriet joined us and had the post-marathon feast of bagels, bananas, pizza and such. It was a kick to have my name announced during the awards ceremony. I dread the photos though-----I had on my son’s cast-off sweat pants and I literally trained my a$$ off this summer, so they are very baggy---that plus the post race hairdo will be oh so lovely in the Brightroom e-mail of all the photos I can buy! Ah well, who cares about fashion when they are handing over a $150 check?

After saying goodbye to PDR and WRFB for the 8,739th time and wishing Dr. B well---off to see his sister in Ithaca---I grabbed a shower at the hotel and drove across the Southern Tier of NY----home at 7:30 pm where my guys were waiting. 

Lessons learned: This training cycle from Coach had lower mileage overall---slightly lower and more technique drills, track work and lots more play. I loved that.  

I recovered well after long runs and never took a complete day off from running (actuallyrunning every day as part of a challenge from a donor that will culminate in a scholarship through a local non-profit Foundation----365 days of running will total $36,500 per runner for 4 of us). The core work and strength training helped me come back from injury with strength and I hope it carries me through these marathons so I can build my base back. I had a 7-year base before last year’s injury. 

I still need to work on pacing, fast finishes and keeping my head in the game. I am very happy overall and also competitive with myself---I want that 3:15 as well as a 1:32 half-marathon and I’ll work at those for awhile yet. I need to think about more calories on the run as well I think. I am downto 100 pounds and while strong, need to build late-in-the race power. 

The NYC marathon on 11/1 is up next but not the place where I’ll aim for the elusive 3:15---my goal there is a 3:30 and a steady race (and of course to see Maraposai, Mainerunnah, and many others).

Thanks for reading all this and most of all for all the support and good cheer. You all inspire me and make me want to keep at this for years to come so I can meet you in real time---impressive folks every one of you. Onward!

Time to run before the day gets away from me!

<o:p> </oTongue>

<o:p> </oTongue>

Your race reports are the best Karin.  They combine strategy, meet up fun, scenery, a bit of humor, and smarts.  I always learn so much just by reading your training and your races.

It's always interesting to see many of the same thoughts that the slow runners back here in the pack go through as well (nervous, self-doubts, feeling as if you've never run before, etc.).  But the way you set your goals and drill the splits into your memory is inspiring.

It's amazing you felt that running 80 miles per week was "lower mileage overall" thatn what you've trained at before.  Your training is a model we could all learn from.

Nice race (understatement of the Day).  I have no doubt you'll get that 3:15 and the 1:32 you seek.  Keep on keeping on.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Karin - you are such an inspiration!  Wish I had a fraction of your ability.  So glad you got to hook up with the Beers.  Wonderful race and race report -thanks for sharing!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Slo

Karin

I am truely awestruck. Honestly, I think you exemplify what it is to be a competitor.

My personal favorite is your mile 5 report.

Thank you for your detailed report. Like Bill, I have gained a ton of knowledge reading your reports and following your training. You are very inspiring.

A great big congratulations ! What an awesome race with a great outcome !

Tramps

CNY, what a great day for you.  Congratulations!

You are very competitive and that determination comes through here.  I appreciate your sharing your strategy and enjoyed reading the report.  I also look forward to hearing about your future quest for that 3:18 and 3:15.

BTW, you commit splits to memory? Wow.  I can’t even remember my phone number.

Be safe. Be kind.

lamerunner

Great race Karin and great report!! Your strength and discipline are amazing. It sounds like a very nice race; maybe I will try  it some day. Rest well, recover some  a$$ and roll on into NYC.

Your 3:15 is coming soon...

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Karin... you are a focussed competitor and ran a great race!  1st Masters says alot and 7th OA woman.. huuuzah!!

That 3:15 has your name on it!  Life would be boring if you accomplished ALL your goals in one race!

Congratulations!

Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Karin,

What a great RR. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on running a great race.

You amaze me with your training .With such a busy lifestyle that you lead I don't know how you get in all those miles. I use you as my mental kick in the butt  when I get home from work and want to just sit  on the couch. 

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

wildchild

Carolyn

Wow, what an interesting RR!  I agree with Tramps that memorizing those splits is impressive.  I could maybe remember splits in whole minutes and round numbers!  Congrats on your excellent race and $150 prize - awesome!  Can't wait to see those Brightroom photos... 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Prince of Fatness

I've been following your training in the 40/40 threads and it has been impressive to say the least.  Congratulations on a well run marathon.

I'll have to give this race a thought for next year as I am only a few hours away and it sounds like the kind of race that I prefer.

Good luck with your recovery and at NY.

Not at it at all. 

Fascinating report, and I loved all the family details too.   So good to hear about meeting up with WRFB and PDR.

I can picture in my mind the scenery; I bet the colors were fabulous.

I'm really sorry you missed your first goal, and appreciate your honesty in admitting that.  You've been really training for this, and to come so close is a bummer.  Overall, though, not too shabby a finish, and you learned a lot you'll incorporate for next time.  Congrats on the $$ win, too.

And note the progress over last fall's marathon --indeed, you did not fall on the Gu packet!!

You know, I am really impressed at the 1:32 half marathon goal--that's a 7 minute mile pace, no?

You might surprise yourself in NYC--wear your Sox hat--it kept me running and I got in under 3:30,  Think about it--and there are a lot of members of RSN out there. 

grins,

A

Masters 2000 miles

Marathon Maniac #957

Karin – I like the part where you say, “I don’t have great speed, but can hold pace IF I am smart.”  Who are you kidding?  You are the speediest  woman I know! 

Awesome racing, and I love the details in the report, both of your adventures and your insights.  Superb!!!!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Karin -- wow -- what a great report and I trust that you will post the "winners" pixs once they are available.  Congrats on a great race.  It's been fun to see your weekly reports and now to know the outcome of all of your hard work.

2012= under-goaled

SteveP

I love your RRs. Your running is insperational and powerful.

SteveP

Wow!   Thank you for the great and inspiring report.   Keep up the good work.