Masters Running

Monday, Monday. 15 June 2009 (Read 416 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Internet has been out at work all day.  I can’t believe how much I missed it!  Not just for my RA check-in, but for lots of work-related stuff.  (Yes, I actually do get some work done while I’m here...)  I’m more Internet-dependent than I realized.

CNYrunner - while our schools have threatened that several times, we've always managed to pass the levy at the last minute.  Here's hoping you get that reprieve as well.

2 recovery miles for me on the TM this morning @ 10:20, followed by my favorite lower body routine:

1.Alternating side lunges (20L, 20R), bench step-ups (20L, 20R).
    2. Weighted squats (30), weighted ballet squats (30), split squats (20L, 20R).
    3. Single leg bridges (30L, 30R), forward lunges (20L, 20R)

plus dumbbell presses, lateral raises, triceps extensions, push-ups, superman lifts, stability-ball crunches and 5 chin-ups, separately.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

dg.

hi!   just posting this in the spirit of RA support.   Smile.  

rest day.  except at work... no time to read yet.  

happy monday! 

wildchild

Carolyn

5 sproinky miles at lunch, avg pace 9:59    So where was that sproink on Saturday when I needed it?

I noticed that my total mileage for the year is 666.6!  Uh oh.  I better go run a little more.

Teresa, we're planning another round of college visits, too, the week after next.  This time to eastern schools - Cornell, U of Rochester, Carnegie Mellon, and Princeton.  Plus a visit to my folks in Philly and DH's folks in NJ.  Where do you think you'll be visiting?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Wildchild-make sure you wave when you go to the U of Rochester, that is right in my neighborhood. About to head out for a run and see how I feel. Then off to the library to write. Happy Monday all.

Renee the dog

Plus a visit to my folks in Philly and DH's folks in NJ.  Where do you think you'll be visiting?

Wildchild, remember it's summer.  Don't plan to cross to NJ on a Friday afternoon/evening or back to PA on Sunday afternoon!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Carolyn, no clue where we'll visit right now.  I'm hoping to figure that out this week, if DS can recuperate sufficiently to think!  After staying up all night doing school work, he just failed his driving test for the third time!  Ack, I just want a break!  Maybe the 4th time will be the charm, huh??

There is a tax override vote tomorrow in my town and if it doesn't pass (looks unlikely) our school district will be only the second in the state to drop all high school athletics and all other extracurricular activity. 

Did anyone read the stories in the NY Times yesterday about the athletic budgets at the middle and high school levels? Drastic cuts everywhere, but it seems like the girls will get the worst of it. So much for Title IX...

Did a 10K over the weekend. 59:44, 16th in AG out of 347 women. Wished I had done better but it was really warm. The race didn't start until 8:00 AM anyway and this was the first year that they tried a wave start with 5 minute intervals between. I was in the 3rd wave. There were some of the great runners at this year's event  - Uta, Joan and Bill Rodgers and they can still run like hell!

Marathon Maniac #957

Jlynne - 16th out of 347 AG - seems pretty darn good to me - nice job!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

oh - so  this is where the real daily is!! 

today made a parental sacrifice and took my run indoors to the treadmill (eegads and it's June)

-  my oldest son wanted to join the gym - that might not seem like much to most but my 23 yr old has Asperger's, an extra Y chromosome,  and battles depression and anxiety - life is not easy for this 6'4" 240lb young adult especially when he's out of work like the past few months so this was a huge step for him

he started with the recumbent bike so he could listen to his music and read.........i did my 2.1 miles on the treadmill during his 20 minutes on the bike ...........then i showed him how to start on the treadmill but he didn't want to try it yet ............ he did try the elliptical and after changing the setting once from a slightly overambitious one he managed to stay on that for 20 minutes as well with me next to him ...........a good start for him - for this kid one step  is like a mile!!   mom is very pleased!!

Life is Good!!

oh ya -- i did try on the wetsuit  but now i really need to try it in the water --- i am so not prepared for this tri saturday but i am going  to do it!! 

denise

Denise - That's fantastic about your son.  Here's hoping he sticks with it.

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

Go Denise, Go! And that's great news about your son. I sure hope he sticks with it.

JLynne, that's not so bad! Was it 347 in your AG? And you were 16th? I'd say congrats are in order!

Ok, off to the pool now. I'm happily surprised by how good I feel, never would've known I ran 20 miles yesterday except for the raging hunger I have for anything edible in my cubicle. So far the plants are safe...

(I swear by my trashcan ice baths...!)

7 easy miles tonight. Tonight's run felt very good, not fast, but good. Time to get home and find something to eat.
                          SteveP

Thanks Sue, we're off to find the "Deer Out".

1.5 very sluggish miles with the dog. The home to plant some of DW's birthday trees and help her with the garden. Believe it or not, this works pretty well.

http://www.superherotimes.com/newsarchive/000695.php

SteveP