Masters Running

Thursday Dec 3 Master Runs and Workouts (Read 405 times)

busi, nice race with 3rd in AG and meet up with Ed Whitlock.  cranium, good luck to you and your team in Saturday's race.  holly, happy birthday to your husband.  I liked the "don't feed the monkeys" comment.  I assume it was directed at the people who pulled the original  stunt, but I think it also applies to those in the media, and the politicians, who  strive for any kind of publicity they can get.

Nice long run for CNY.  Good job on the speedwork for dg and holly.

This morning, it was in the high 30s, windy, and with the occasional drop of rain or flake of snow.  I got in 5 miles in about 49:40 for a 9:56 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

dg.

thanks Tom.   Nice run this morning.... it wasn't the most inviting day to be out... I give you due credit!     What you said is what I was wondering about re monkey feeding.    Kind of hard to clearly define the eaters & the feeders.  Wink
      wildchild

Carolyn

Holly, Happy Birthday to your DH! 

Too freakin cold today.  It's 12° at 1:30 pm, and snowing lightly.  This morning when I got up it was -8° so at least it's warmed up a bit.  I brought lots of layers to run at lunch, but if I run in this weather I'll really really want a hot shower when I come in, and washing up in the sink at work isn't really gonna cut it.  Not to mention the "sweaty hat hair" that Erika mentioned.  I like my job, but I really wish I worked closer to home and the office had a shower.  It's supposed to be back up in the 30's tomorrow so no more excuses!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Leslie.. I remember hiking/camping in the Big Horns years ago (pre-running days). I think we hiked all day and covered maybe 10 miles.  Really pretty mountains.

Spring like day here.  Just back from 4 mile walk with the dogs in 1:00:32.  Try to time it to keep a brisk 15  min pace.

I find out tomorrow how damaged my knee is (had MRI yesterday)... fingers crossed.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

SteveP

Hopefully the rest of your day went better Bill.

We're looking forward to your RR Craneium.

Sounds like a good way to spend the afternoon Holly.

We had some of the other stuff DG.

It was still on the ground when we went for our run. Tag's hunter's orange shirt is in the wash, so he wore his red shirt with the cape. He stood out really well against the snowy back ground. One thing that was really kewl was how his cape floated in the breeze as Tag ran down the trails. Has any one else noticed this when they've run with their dogs? Just 1.5 miles on account of snow and darkness.

SteveP

dg.

SteveP... just what I needed tonight.... (well, not the other stuff part... )  thanks.   yes, I have noticed that!  Wink

StevePerch...  thanks to you too.   I've been wondering how the dogs are doing with their walks.  :-).    All my fingers are crossed!!!!!    very very good luck!

Carolyn, that is just too cold.   ... You're right about the shower, I hadn't thought about that.  too bad, when you brought all your layers!  I've thought that I could hide out for the rest of the day if I decided to RAL, but I do always want to shower first thing when it's even a little cold. 

Mariposai

It was still on the ground when we went for our run. Tag's hunter's orange shirt is in the wash, so he wore his red shirt with the cape. He stood out really well against the snowy back ground. One thing that was really kewl was how his cape floated in the breeze as Tag ran down the trails. Has any one else noticed this when they've run with their dogs? Just 1.5 miles on account of snow and darkness.

This made my day. I don't have a dog, but I do admire anyone who has one.

dg and erika, I have not seeing fjordrunner for a while. She has been swallowed by her work) hey, is that even a phrase in English, oh well...if it is not...it should be.

tselbs is running strong now days!

Carolyn, hats are in style in NYC...just wear one at work after your RAW...now hot shower is another story.

8 hard miles in the mountains. I ran 4 miles in 40 minutes then turn around and ran it back in 37minutes, how is that for a negative split? Wild life sightseeing: four eagles, one was fishing in the river...he was a huge bird, around 12 deer, two killdeer, they such cute little birds and a coyote. Then I went to my favorite pub and consumed a huge buffalo burger and  serving of french fries.

oh...and I did wear a hat at my meeting and a did stink elittle, I think.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

One pumpkin risotto recipe coming up!  It was terrific!

If you want to smoke turkey you do not need a "real" smoker but you need something that will work like one.  My smoker is actually a grill with a box on the side where you can add wood chips.  If your grill does not have something like this, I imagine that if you get a metal box capable of surviving in your grill and fill it with wood chips that will work.  A friend of mine did something like that with maple chips after I told him about smoking turkey for Thanksgiving.  He told me it worked great and he plans to cook all his future turkey dinners this way!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mariposai

That pumpkin risotto recipe looks pretty tasty. Thanks for the recipe. Saturday is going to be a "pumpkin theme" dinner at my house. I think a pumpkin cheesecake should be part of the menu on Saturday, don't ya think?

No luck with the grill...Hum....can I borrow your grill? just for a week or two...I will return it..I promise.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Thanks, Twocat! I bet I could use butternut squash for that, too. Yay, a new one to try!

Mariposai's after run treat sounds yummy. I haven't had a burger in ages...

DH and I got our H1N1 flu shots after work. This was the third shot clinic that the school district held. They restricted the first two to just school age kids up to 18. I guess the turnout was less than expected because this last clinic they opened it up to anyone who wanted it. 

Then I came home and ran 4.6 miles on the treadmill, upping the incline to 2% and then 3% for the last mile, at 8:34 pace. Whew! That got my attention... Now to make dinner.