Masters Running

Master Runners Introductions! (Read 228 times)

Hey Don - glad you migrated over too.

TammyinGP

Thanks for all the Introductions from the newbies. It's nice to have you all here. I am pretty terrible at names, but the more you all participate in our daily threads, the more us old folks here will remember who's who.

But with that said - daily posting is NOT expected - that can get time consuming, so don't fade off in the background if you are unable to post daily. 

Tammy

Misplaced runner...

Greetings all!  Looking to find a masters home on the interwebz.  My name is Tim, long time RA lurker, live about 30 miles NE of Houston (since 2012) but I call the Pacific NW home as I lived north of Seattle for 25 years prior (and, yes, I miss it every single day).

I turned 51 in October.  Started running in 1996 at 30, doing mostly road stuff for a few years, but got turned on to trail running and ultras.  Raced mostly ultras from 2000 until 2011.  Since moving here, I've sort of lost the desire for the trails, and long distances in general, in the kind of weather that dominates most of the year here and the lack of, really, any decent trails.  So now I'm purely roads, except for occasional long runs on decomposed granite trails to go a bit easy on the body.  Looking to still pursue soft PRs at the 5k/10k distances and several months ago started training with the resurgent Houston Harriers, coached by Doug Storey.

I work in oncology research (non-PhD) at MD Anderson Cancer Center, though my real passions are in the hard sciences (physics, meteorology).  My wife (not a runner but a "shuffler" in her own words) and two in-college kids kind of complete the story.  I hope to make it back up to the Pac NW someday, but COL/housing costs are looking bleak for that with every passing year.

At any rate, hoping to be able to chime in, share training/racing stories, generally commiserate with like individuals trying to scratch and claw our way through each day, and as I mentioned above, to just find a home.  Look forward to chatting with everyone here.

Current focus: Texas Med Run 10k (2/3/18) and Bayou City Classic 10k (3/17/18).

. . . I've sort of lost the desire for the trails . . .

*GASP!*   What has been read cannot be un-read. 

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Misplaced runner...

*GASP!*   What has been read cannot be un-read. 

Yeah, I know. It pains me as well, but it's mostly tied in to really just a lack of decent trails in this area, as well as the nature of running trails here in the heat and humidity.  This includes such annoyances as snakes, mosquitoes (in large numbers), and horse flies.  I'm a pretty warm runner with a high sweat rate as well, so even regular easy runs in the summer will have me soaked head-to-toe - even worse on the trails.

Quickadder

Yeah, I know. It pains me as well, but it's mostly tied in to really just a lack of decent trails in this area, as well as the nature of running trails here in the heat and humidity.  This includes such annoyances as snakes, mosquitoes (in large numbers), and horse flies.  I'm a pretty warm runner with a high sweat rate as well, so even regular easy runs in the summer will have me soaked head-to-toe - even worse on the trails.

Welcome, Tim. I live and work just the other side of the Sabine River in SW Louisiana and have the same issues here with the livestock, heat & humidity. There are some decent trails through the woods & swamps here, but you will not get much altitude. I've run the Wild Azalea Trail Challenge HM the past two Januaries and they have 27 mile and 50 mile options - 2018 race is on January 6th - check it out on ultrasignup.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

Misplaced runner...

Welcome, Tim. I live and work just the other side of the Sabine River in SW Louisiana and have the same issues here with the livestock, heat & humidity. There are some decent trails through the woods & swamps here, but you will not get much altitude. I've run the Wild Azalea Trail Challenge HM the past two Januaries and they have 27 mile and 50 mile options - 2018 race is on January 6th - check it out on ultrasignup.

Thanks for passing this along.  I'm nowhere near being in ultra condition at this point, and I'm okay with that.  I'm enjoying having a period of training focused on the shorter distances and, honestly, works better for me at this point in life.  Not sure if I'll ever return to ultras, though I do still enjoy volunteering at them.  I usually try to get out for the Rocky Raccoon runs to help out.  Part of it too is that I just miss the mountains and surrounding environment, but I also have always enjoyed racing at all distances, so I'll stay active in that regard.

spacityrunner

Yeah, I know. It pains me as well, but it's mostly tied in to really just a lack of decent trails in this area, 

Hi Analogkid.  We have some very nice trails here in Hot Springs Arkansas (and Ar in general)....can't do much about the heat or humidity tho...come on up and run some with us sometime!!!

Trails Rock!

catwhoorg

Labrat

About the screen name:

Cat_who_organises is the origin.

In the Star Fleet Universe (Star Fleet Battles/ Federation and Empire), the Kzinti (who appeared in the animated Star Trek series) are given 'Federation names' along the lines of Cat_who...

The Organises moniker was bestowed upon me by some friends as I pulled together an online game literally spanning Europe (UK, France, Sweden, Italy) using E-mail, early versions of chat and a program that recorded the moves of pieces on a board.
                    Almost immediately that shrunk to Catwhorg due to 8 character limitations which just ugly. As soon as possible the double 'oo' returned and Catwhoorg became my internet name. Probably more people know me by that moniker through City of Heroes than any other game/forum identity, but it has been around a long time, and isn't going away.

Almost anywhere on the internet you see a Catwhoorg, the person behind that moniker is me.

Richard is my RL name, and I have 2 younger kids (I was widowed due to cancer so DW2 and I got a late start on a family...)

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Re-Run

Misinformation Officer

Hope y'all have room for a fresh face. Wink  I've dabbled in running for about 13 years, starting in my mid 30s.  Ran 5 HMs, a bunch of 10ks, and always over-did it and then took excessive time off.  For the last 2 years, I made a minimum weekly run requirement of myself (12mpw) and do it no matter what.  I run one 5k monthly, for fun, usually in costume.  My goal is consistency in training.  In late Oct 2017, I added Olympic weight training, and have dropped my running times significantly by getting stronger.  I am at a happy medium of running that I feel I can maintain for the rest of my life.

I work in music media, and travel a lot by car for work (50,000 miles per year).  Running is easy to do, no matter where I am.  I live in rural South Carolina, where it is hot and steamy most of the year.

Runs like a dj mixing songs while wearing festive outfits.
                      5k PR 5/31/21 24:21 

10k PR 5/23 54:43

HM PR 1/2024 1:59:10

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Always room for one more!!  Welcome to the forum.  hope you find it enjoyable.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

TammyinGP

Welcome Re-run! Hope to see you join us over in the daily thread 

Tammy

SteveP

Jump in. The water’s fine.

SteveP

anneb

I'm Anne, I live on the northwest side of Chicago. I'm married, and have an old dog (15) and middle aged cat (9), no kids. I just recently turned 43 and have been running over 10 years... been logging on RA most of that time, although I'm not active on the main boards or other groups currently. I'm mostly an early morning person, so I like your daily thread 

I've run pretty consistently, even higher mileage, over the last several years but was thrown kind of a wrench last year when I learned I had psoriatic (autoimmune) arthritis. I'm currently taking a biologic which was amazing in getting the knee/ankle/foot joint issues under control (and back to some level of regular running), but I'm still learning there are SO many other things that it affects so I'm still figuring things out with that. At times, I have streaked (max of 443 days!) but I don't think that the running streak is best for me now. Although I DO think some kind of activity is best every day. It's hard having this, as a runner, because I feel like not many other patients are runners, and even if they are, they probably are not athletes, if that makes sense. This has nothing to do with being fast (because I'm not), but if I throw out numbers (say, 16,000+ miles in the first 10 years I logged here), most people get kind of glazed over and can't really understand running that much. But, I digress. Overall, I'm feeling pretty ok so just going to hope that it continues.

Anne

Quickadder

Anne, I am not sure what happened to the usual welcoming committee, so I will greet you. Very glad to have you join the forum and look forward to you jumping in to the dailies, where you can post workouts, questions, injury reports and pretty much anything else.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47