Masters Running

Let's run together. (Read 34 times)

Tramps

(There used to be a “where I run” thread, which I can’t find so I’m starting fresh here.)

We’ve been fighting to preserve a nearby peninsula from residential development for years (and years and years and...).  We have a partial victory with about 2800 of the 4000 acres saved but the remaining acreage is still in limbo and threatened.  (It’s a long, convoluted story.)  On April 1, what is now a state natural area preserve officially opened to the public, so I thought I'd take us on a run there.

Here’s a map to orient you. I’ve highlighted our route in red. We’ll be approaching the peninsula from the west, running down the “spine” about halfway, then turning south to the water.  We then turn back and head north to the opposite shore, then west and back home.  It’ll be a 10 miler, okay?  Let's go!

Out the door down the gravel road I live on.  We’re a little late getting started, so the sun’s already well over the horizon.

Down to the preserve's front gate.

Up the road to the trail crossing.

Now we climb the ridge along some switchbacks.  Nothing technical.

We eventually get back to an old road for a bit.  Can you spot the trail cam?  Smile!

Okay, now turn south and down the ridge.

We reach some water and run alongside for a bit.

Smooth as a mirror out there today.  It's certainly not always like this.

Here's our turnaround spot, which has a great view.  Unfortunately, I'm shooting right into the sun here.

Let's keep going.  Lift those knees!  Those roots will get you if you're watching the scenery instead of the trail.

A gentle tug on a pine tree branch tells you all you need to know: It's pollen season! Yuck.

Back up the ridge again.  Hills are good for you.

One advantage of the state managing this property now is that blow-downs get cleared on the trails. Nice.

When there's dew or rain, moss like this is deceptively slippery.  Combine that with the nearby roots and... WOAH!!  Nice and dry today, though.

Up and over the ridge and now we're heading down to the water on the northern side. More switchbacks.

Another viewing spot here.  But you're not tired, right?  No need to stop.

The north side is not as picturesque as the south but these are important wetlands and prime areas for migrating birds.  Sometimes you'll see hundreds at a time here. Today, though, just a couple of lonely geese.

This area can get very wet, so there are a couple of new strategically placed bridges to keep your feet from getting muddy.

Well, at least not too muddy.

A short spur takes us to a separate small pond.  I often don't include this spur in my run because it's a little overgrown but since you're here...

Okay, climbing the ridge one last time and heading back now.  Jump!

We double back the way we came and we're almost home.  That's my neighbor's truck up ahead.

There you have it.  It's not the Grand Canyon or anything but it's a wonderful spot to run so close to home. And having worked--and still working--so hard to see it preserved adds something special to it.  Hope you enjoyed the run.

So where are we running next time?

Be safe. Be kind.

Mike E

MM #5615

Wow!  That was fun!  I can't wait to take you up and down Birch Street.

spacityrunner

This is such a nice area Tramps. I want to run this.  May I invite myself over to join you the next time I am in the area???

Trails Rock!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

What, no traffic lights and intersections?

sweet.

almost expect to see batman

and some of his friends.

Hope you have lots of runs there.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Thought I was spoiled having my nice lake to run around.  That would be a very easy to take 10 miler.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

dg.

Tramps that was great,  thanks!    I guess even introverts can run with friends once in a while, huh?   What a beautiful place.   Glad your efforts have been successful!

... you didn't notice because I was behind you, .... I didn't exactly jump over that log.   maybe next time.    -  )

Tramps

This is such a nice area Tramps. I want to run this.  May I invite myself over to join you the next time I am in the area???

Everyone's invited.

Be safe. Be kind.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

... you didn't notice because I was behind you, .... I didn't exactly jump over that log.   maybe next time.    -  )

Deb--let us not speak of you and jumping over logs.  There is not enough duct tape to put you back together.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

dg.

Deb--let us not speak of you and jumping over logs.  There is not enough duct tape to put you back together.

Nice, Tramps!!  Thanks for the journey.  Once I get back out there I'll have to show my trail running stomping grounds. 

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

coastwalker

Tramps, thanks and congrats to you and your crew for the tremendous effort to preserve that beautiful area. I know and appreciate how much time and work it takes, but you can be assured that many people will appreciate and take advantage of what you have accomplished for many, many years to come.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.